The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
O.K. What guitar will you never get rid of and why?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

BalladeerFun
Posted 2004-03-06 9:30 PM (#192891)
Subject: O.K. What guitar will you never get rid of and why?

Thought this might bring out some of the reasons that most of us have multiple guitars even if they aren't "needed"... I think a half dozen should about do Ya!...
Mine is my original "Conqueror".. Learned how to play on an old borrowed Gibson.. When it got taken back my dad and I went to a Pawn shop and bought this guitar for $100.00 ... Lotta money back in 1974... Still sounds great and wouldn't trade it for another guitar....
Even tho I don't post too often I love reading the posts everyday...
... I love my little 1976, balladeer 1111-6 that I bought off e-bay and I'm looking for an office guitar... As all of you regulars say..."I've got GAS"
Best to Ya!.. Gerald
Gerald
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-03-06 9:37 PM (#192892 - in reply to #192891)
Subject: Re: O.K. What guitar will you never get rid of and why?

I'd have to break it down to the bare minimum I need to make a living. So that would be at the very least an acoustic & solid slide guitar and an acoustic & solid regular guitar plus a mandolin & lap steel. The rest can go, even the Adamii. Jesus, that's only 6 instuments, I've just gained a LOT of closet space. That would be: Viper 3, Viperwinner, Custom Folklore, Legend, 30th anniversary Mando & Ricky 8-string Lap Steel.
dolbyscat
Posted 2004-03-06 11:53 PM (#192893 - in reply to #192891)

sorry,i just could"nt be parted from my deluxe tele,but the 1537 elite would sure be missed.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-03-07 12:14 AM (#192894 - in reply to #192891)

In 1991, due to financial, sold my 1658 dsb slothead CL 12, and four others. Kept the D-25K2. Always missed the 1658. Now, will always keep the D-25K2, the Les Paul which was a gift from Les Paul, the 1658 natural (at Ovation for repair,) and one of the CL 30th Anniv.

In October, had to evacuate due to the fires we had in San Diego. Fortunately, stopped about two miles from the house. Made you think which ones were the keepers.
ClassicRocker
Posted 2004-03-07 1:33 AM (#192895 - in reply to #192891)

If you have read my post about my 1127-4...then you know my answer to this question.
I will never part with my Vintage Ovation!
It was the first guitar I ever owned...so it is not only the fact that it is a fine instrument that has aged beautifully...it is also for sentimental reasons.

My Black 1980 Strat may not be vintage yet...but to me it is priceless. It is also aging nicely and has been a rock...never any problems...plays like a dream. Must have got some moisture under the lacquer from a slight ding years ago and has a milky coat over the black in some places...really gives it a unique looking character.

But aside from all of that...I think it is the sentimental reason that means the most to me. Between the 1127-4 and my 1980 Strat...I have written all of my catalog over the years. They are like old best friends...favorite family members...constant companions...invaluable makers of music...
I play them...and they play me...with great results...a perfect relationship.
Cue the Violins! :D
Slipkid
Posted 2004-03-07 5:52 AM (#192896 - in reply to #192891)

My Balladeer and my Breadwinner that I bought new in the very early seventies, are not going anywhere.
Brad
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-07 6:37 AM (#192897 - in reply to #192891)

Well as crazy as it may seem, my first Ovation would be the last one to go. 1975 Medallion.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-03-07 7:39 AM (#192898 - in reply to #192891)

Never underestimate sentimental value. As I type I am wearing a very worn out Ovation tee shirt that I just can't part with.
Brad
Bluebird
Posted 2004-03-07 8:59 AM (#192899 - in reply to #192891)

Since I was about fifteen, I have had a minimum one acoustic and one electric. Then, about twelve years ago, I started collecting/buying/selling/swapping/ and am now at a lifetime high of eight guitars and one mando. If times were different, I would go back to the one elec, one acoust setup again and would probably choose the Bluebird/UKII and the GC Adamas.
If pure sentiment were the factor, I would keep the '68 GC Deluxe Balladeer #1, as it and the original owner were such an influence on my musical formative years.

Wayne
Standingovation
Posted 2004-03-07 9:03 AM (#192900 - in reply to #192891)

Tough call. Sentamental value is definately my original Thunderhead. Acoustic would have to be two guitars - '68 GC Deluxe Balladeer and my Adamas II Slothead. Dave
Goober
Posted 2004-03-07 9:12 AM (#192901 - in reply to #192891)

I've sold off so many guitars that I swore I never would that it would be very dumbassticity of me to make the statement.

BUTT, my old 1127-4 and my new/old baby, Deluxe B321, would be very hard to part with.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-07 9:34 AM (#192902 - in reply to #192891)

StandingO and I had this email conversation a few months ago, but he posed the question, if you could only grab one guitar in each hand, what would they be. For me, the first guitar would be the 1914 0018 Martin that's been in my family since new. My second choice would be my 68 Deluxe Balladeer. Both guitars that couldn't be replaced.

Now, I would have my wife grab my 1537 Elite and Big Blue (1688 Adamas 12), and my kids would have to grab.....
peterbright
Posted 2004-03-07 9:45 AM (#192903 - in reply to #192891)

Still looking.
ClassicRocker
Posted 2004-03-07 10:24 AM (#192904 - in reply to #192891)

Well...I gotta weigh in again...due to being a recent member of this Forum...and the impression it has had on me.

I have only ever owned two guitars...one acoustic and one electric as I have said in a previous post on this subject. I seemed that it was all I needed for my purposes...and as I have also previously said...they have served me well.
Reminds me of the line (with slight changes): you can have these 2 Guitars when you pry them from my cold dead hands! That's how I truly feel!

But...me thinks it is time for a new member or members to my little Guitar family. After reading so many posts and seeing the collections of many Ovation owners, I am wired and inspired to start the hunt for new Guitars "I Would Never Get Rid Of."

First and foremost on the list...another Ovation!
maybe someone has unloaded another Gem on 48th Street Music Row in NYC...like how I found my 1127-4 in the mid 70s. Could be a 12 String...or an Adamas...but the new LX series sure looks sweet!
Next would be a Tele...and then a Les Paul.
Then another Ovation...maybe that beautiful Bluebird like Waynes.

Then I'd get a T-Shirt like Slipkids...and wearing it proudly I would "...ride like a Cowboy, into the dawn..." (Frank Zappa lyric for those uninitiated to the real Mother of Invention) clutching my 1127-4 and Strat.

Here's to the Ovation Nation...and hangin' tough with your Favorite Guitars...come rain or shine...or even wild fires!
Tony...your post really made me think...glad you were 2 miles shy of the flames!

And...if I had to truly choose between the two...it would be my 1127-4 hands down...
'nough said...
Gidde Up Ya'll!
CharlieB
Posted 2004-03-07 12:03 PM (#192905 - in reply to #192891)

Well the topic says guitar, not guitars. Makes it hard to boil down to any ONE. I supposed I'm married to this SMT I've got (to keep it an Ovation thread).

But, there's also a mahogany bodied Telecaster Thinline with no-f/hole and wild maple top, with goncalo neck that just about does it for me too.

Ane the SG my wife got me, thats never goin - even though I really don't play it at all.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-03-07 7:38 PM (#192906 - in reply to #192891)

Now...introducing the theoretical "which guitar gets saved from the fire" scenario changes my answer....I am very attached to my Applause, but it won't be the one I save. That would be the 1118 Glen Campbell 12-string. It is not easily replaceable(due to the excellent condition). The ME 12-string is a gift from my wife, but it is replaceable. The 1777 Legend is certainly replaceable. And the Applause is replaceable as far as function. It IS a $100 guitar.

Oh, what the heck, I can carry two guitars....c'mon GC and ME.....let's go.... :) :) Maybe my wife will bring the Applause.....

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Ovation 1777-NAT Legend 6-string
seesquare
Posted 2004-03-07 8:08 PM (#192907 - in reply to #192891)

I pray I have the chance to save the critters! I tell ya- if there was a fire, I'd be so pissed, I could probably put it out myself (get my drift?!)
The 1127-4 gets out first, though. The 1111 would be a serious loss, to be sure. I'll bet I could get all those hardshells out the window pretty fast, open or not!!!!!!!!! As my old mentor advised, "Remember, ALL behavior is motivated."
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-03-07 11:31 PM (#192908 - in reply to #192891)

Guys, have to admit that the only guitar that we left with was the Les Paul due to fear of my daughter shouting over the cell phone. Hard to get more than a couple of bags, photo albums, and one guitar in a Mustang GT conv. Once I got my wife and two cats out, went back for a couple of others. Like I said, makes you think.
George
Posted 2004-03-08 12:09 AM (#192909 - in reply to #192891)

I'd have to say my 1619 Custom Legend #168735. It was with me for a lot of fun entertaining back when my wife and I played for parties, on ski trips, family reunions, political fund raisers,
dances, kids birthdays. All kinds of memories come back just taking it out of the case, it remembers things for me and brings them back to mind, like an old friend. It was there to heal my mind when I had to get away from the pressures and trials of life that we all go through. I've had the guitar going on 29 years and it's as nice, if not nicer than the day I bought it.
Bailey
Posted 2004-03-08 1:40 AM (#192910 - in reply to #192891)

Tough Question:

Can't take the solid body as the amp will be burned up.
You said guitar, so my favorite mandolin is left to burn.
If I take my acoustic it doesn't even have an acoustic pickup.
I've got my daughter's '66 Fender Mustang that she left here for safekeeeping, should I let her down?
I suspect I am going to be like the mule that starves to death equidistant between two bales of hay, I will go up in flames with all my instruments, amps, gear, songbooks, CD's, tapes, videos, probably circling like one of those dervish dancers shouting "This one, no, this one, that one, yes, that one, Oh it burns, burns burns, that ring of fire!"

Bailey :rolleyes:
Beal
Posted 2004-03-08 7:59 AM (#192911 - in reply to #192891)

It's too hard a question.

I can get the list down to 20 but it's a different 20 every time I do the list.
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-08 8:08 AM (#192912 - in reply to #192891)

The reality of such disasters is hard enough that I don't even like to think about it. What we can do is catalog our worldly treasures in the photo gallery (CWK2 - when the museum open?)and if such an event where to happen we could also gather "value" statements from our OFC Brethren and then...

Hit Ebay with the insurance check sans Paypal!!!

G-A-A-A-A-S again :eek:
TheEliteist
Posted 2004-03-08 9:35 AM (#192913 - in reply to #192891)

Crap! If I cant decide now, I probably couldnt decide then... I'm a gonner! I'd probablly burn up with them, just trying to make up my mind! :rolleyes:

My Adamas!

no wait!

My Collectors! Ya, that's it!

hold on...

My Custom Legend, that's the ticket...

hmmm... :confused:

cough cough

eny, meany, miney, mo
alpep
Posted 2004-03-08 10:58 AM (#192914 - in reply to #192891)

I'm with CWK I keep trying to get the pile to one that is manageable and that list keeps changing.

so far I can say these 3 or 4
56 tele
d'angelico
travis bean
71 LP (sentimental reasons)
Adamas wood top dreadnaught bowl

ok so it's five

Now amps I some day hope to pair down my collection to the best 20-30 Fenders that i have.
BalladeerFun
Posted 2004-03-08 12:31 PM (#192915 - in reply to #192891)

Thanks to everyone that has posted... I guess I'm just sentimental about an instrument that would hold little to no monetary value to others but would be like losing a true part of my learning and being in music... I'd still like to get back that little Gibson I learned on then I'd have two that I'd have to save!... Yet if I were homeless and could only carry around one guitar it would have to be the "pawnshop" guitar!... I'm glad I've got a pickup tho... If a fire were rushing towards the house I'm sure my golden retriever would help me load the guitars in the back!... I probably wouldn't save room for the cat tho! ;) ... LOL..
Livng here in tornado alley I have to admit I have taken a guitar or two into the safe room with me!
Best to ya! and it's great to hear from others who hold music so near and dear!
Gerald
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)