The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
OP-Pro, OP-30, 40 50, users try this!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

CharlieB
Posted 2004-03-07 4:14 PM (#192853)
Subject: OP-Pro, OP-30, 40 50, users try this!

This might be old hat - but if yer not playing plugged in you get a lot more sound "at you" if you remove that preamp from its holder. An amazingly increased amount in fact.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TheEliteist
Posted 2004-03-08 9:14 AM (#192854 - in reply to #192853)
Subject: Re: OP-Pro, OP-30, 40 50, users try this!

Interesting, I never even thought about doing that. I'll give it a try... Thanks!
alpep
Posted 2004-03-08 9:34 AM (#192855 - in reply to #192853)

it is NOT that the guitar is louder it is that the sound is now directed towards the player and not OUT towards the audience.

I think it was Linda Manzer that made an archedtop guitar for Scot Chinery that had doors on the side so that the player could "hear" the out put of the guitar. It was kind of cool.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-03-08 4:54 PM (#192856 - in reply to #192853)

Well of course its not actually louder - but its a neat effect none the less
Doc H
Posted 2004-03-08 6:06 PM (#192857 - in reply to #192853)

That IS a good idea!

Raise your hand if you've ever been told you were "playing too loudly" (Or wondered why you were getting 'frowned' at by everyone),when jamming un-plugged with 3 or more "wood body" players?

When it happened to me, I was part of a semi-circle seated group of 4 guitars, a banjo, a mandolin, and an up-right bass. My initial reaction was something like shocked confusion, since I'd been playing with my ear nearly stuck to the bowl so I could hear MY OWN axe!

Needless to say, I was more than a little embarrassed when he told me that even a few of the audience members were seen casting an evil eye my way on occasion. Luckily, I was among friends, And the one talking to me reassured me that they knew that grandstanding was the last thing I'd ever do intentionally, and that their concern was that I might be unaware that I was going deaf. (LOL!)

Long story shorter, I asked him if he'd mind swapping guitars with me for the next set, He did, and we were both floored! Wood boxes resonate almost as much BEHIND them as they put out the top.

OVATION, On the other hand resonates almost ALL of the sound (AND VOLUME) to the front. As tonally perfect as Ovation's are, There's almost NO vibration wasted on the back side.

After that, If I were in a similar situation, I still brought along a small amp, or my "Hot-Spot" monitor, so I wouldn't do that again! :)

Peace-
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)