The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
The soundfreak question:The perfect backup for an Ultra GP

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

GregDK
Posted 2004-03-09 9:24 AM (#192717)
Subject: The soundfreak question:The perfect backup for an Ultra GP

hi@ all,

I know that it's a little bit blasphemic in fact the best backup for an ultra gp is an ultra gp.
as a matter of fact the dimarzio dp104 super2's are hell on earth related to their output signal.

but I want to know what other ovation-freaks/ sound-freaks think about it. surely, there aren't many guitars that are playing in the same league but which one do you think are equal?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-03-09 9:42 AM (#192718 - in reply to #192717)
Subject: Re: The soundfreak question:The perfect backup for an Ultra GP

Hamer
Beal
Posted 2004-03-09 10:26 AM (#192719 - in reply to #192717)

Hamer, but it's better not equal.
alpep
Posted 2004-03-09 10:46 AM (#192720 - in reply to #192717)

agreed
GregDK
Posted 2004-03-09 11:21 AM (#192721 - in reply to #192717)

well, I tested a hamer and found that they're better sounding than the gibson guitars, but the headstock is ugly and I also don't like the way the controls are mounted. hamer's are good guitars but they aren't better than the gp, no way

but the 1977 one at their homepage is a real beauty.

well, I often think that the ukII is a real good backup, but the pu's are not so powerfull than the dimarzio's

by just listening the maton pm1 is like the semihollow sister of the gp, they got both the equal the same sound, the maton's sound is a little bit more gentle. but they also got the some pu's.

also it's funny that the hofner 174 custom with mahogany body sounds better than a gibson sg standard from 1970
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-09 2:38 PM (#192722 - in reply to #192717)

Greg,
Although I respect your opinion, I think you are way off on a few points.

1. I like the GP too, and don't like the Hamer headstock either, but the Hamer is simply one of the best handcrafted guitars on the market. You are comparing a short run of decent cheap guitars made in the early 80's with the techniques and materials of today. The fit and finish of the Hamer is so much superior. You should come to the Tour, and bring your credit card. (more on the GP below)

2. The UKII pickups are hotter than most pickups I know of, however they have their own sound. If you want them to sound like Dimarzios then they just won't, but they are hotter and quieter.

Speaking of the GP... How in 1980ish did they manage to make a set-neck guitar with Dimarzio pickups and schaller hardware for $500 bucks retail? And, why is the GP so much different in construction and quality than the GS ? This has always intrigued me. The GS and GP were released as "equals," as the Hardbodies in the market and yet ehy barely resemble coming from the same factory in construction. I think the GS is also as much under-rated as the GP is over-rated but that's a different story. Did someone at the factory just like the GP and as it was a short run just put the extra effort into it?
GregDK
Posted 2004-03-10 5:02 AM (#192723 - in reply to #192717)

hi miles,

I know what you mean, and I also love the sound of the ukII and I know that it's different, the prob is that you got to change the settings when you're using the ukII and the gp at one show. and that is the factor time that you don't have at a gig.
that's why I launched this thread, to find out if anybody knows which guitar could also be used without standing a minute before the amp and effects and to a so-called veitstanz.

the thing that makes the gp unique is the mixture between workmanship, pu's and controls. surely the gp is not a handmade instrument like maton or eyb guitars. but it's better than other guitars which are more expensive. the super2's are the perfect choice for a hard rockin' solidbody. other pu's don't have that output and sound. so at the end the gp is a well engineered instrument that also looks good no matter how many effort ovation made on it.

well the ultra gs is also a fine instrment but it's a bolt on. and the only bolt on ovation I like is the ukII in fact it's got a sustain like a glued in guitar.

hamer guitars are real good guitars I also think better than the prs. they are real good depending on the way they're made but I don't know, I have no relationship to hamer and for that price I would prefer a handmade guitar like the maton from australia. I also think that the technique of manufacturing good instruments haven't changed the last 40 years so much. also the pu's are quiet the same than in the 80's.

I think till now I tested about 150 guitars from beneath all manufaturers and in my opinion ovation, maton and hofner made the best ones depending on workmanship and sound.
Goober
Posted 2004-03-10 6:20 AM (#192724 - in reply to #192717)

You can't beat the expert opinions around here! That's why you gotta love this place......opinions backed up by experience, ownership and knowledge.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-10 6:55 AM (#192725 - in reply to #192717)

"the technique of manufacturing good instruments haven't changed the last 40 years so much"

Actually, especially in the electric guitar arena, things have changed quite a bit in the last 10 years. The introduction of CNC routers, even when used like Hamer as the "rough cut" mechanism enables more consistant and precise measuments and cuts. Laser cutting (or whatever the technique Ovation uses on those inlayed epulates has changed quite a bit. Of course there is the Laser Vibrometer to test the tops which is a far cry from tapeing microphones all of the top of the guitar. So some things have changed.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-10 7:05 AM (#192726 - in reply to #192717)

"the technique of manufacturing good instruments haven't changed the last 40 years so much"

Actually, especially in the electric guitar arena, things have changed quite a bit in the last 10 years. The introduction of CNC routers, even when used like Hamer as the "rough cut" mechanism enables more consistant and precise measuments and cuts. Laser cutting (or whatever the technique Ovation uses on those inlayed epulates has changed quite a bit. Of course there is the Laser Vibrometer to test the tops which is a far cry from tapeing microphones all of the top of the guitar. So some things have changed.

As far as changing guitars, my suggestion would be to either use two amps, or at least two pre-amps or something like that amp that you can put 4 pre-amps into... hmmm name eludes me.. But in that way, you can set the amp up, and then basically "switch channel" when you pick up another guitar.

I've gone full circle. I started out with a guitar and amp with no effects. Went the full route of a custom floor board with all of my effects wired on it. Next was the array of programmable units then I started to turn around. I went to Rack mounted analog effects, Rockman Modules mostly, but now I tend to just plug into an amp and that's it. My

Moser Custom Shop Genesis has active electronics with a Varitone which is all the sound I think I need. If you want a completely handmade custom guitar, Neal is the man to see. For any other high-end electric, I think I would have to stick with Hamer.
alpep
Posted 2004-03-10 7:14 AM (#192727 - in reply to #192717)

I sincerely doubt you can buy a custom built guitar for the price of a Hamer. Hamer has to be one of the most undervalued guitars out there.
GregDK
Posted 2004-03-10 12:47 PM (#192728 - in reply to #192717)

well, the usage of cnc technique should've lowered the costs for production but it didn't. I think ,as man who is trading with wood and knows people which are working with wood, is that not every new technique is leading to a better instrument. just an expamle, the shockwaves produced in a cnc-unit are harder than the shocks from a saw. that's just physics and I think that also good dried wood will take more damage in its microstructur by using cnc instead of sawing it with a fine saw.

I don't wanted to make the hamer guitars bad, I like them but here in germany you've got to pay 2000 euro's and I get a custom made maton mastersound for 1400 euros and a handmade eyb guitar for 1600.

by the way, the moser looks very kewl, but a little bit to much battle axe in my taste ;)
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-10 1:17 PM (#192729 - in reply to #192717)

If you get a chance whilst in Germany check out Nik Huber - Guitars. Very impressive.
cliff
Posted 2004-03-10 1:44 PM (#192730 - in reply to #192717)

Love the "Dolphin"!!
GregDK
Posted 2004-03-11 9:41 AM (#192731 - in reply to #192717)

Eyb custom guitars
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)