The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
“ Is my warranty transferable? ”
[Frozen]

View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

alpep
Posted 2004-03-14 5:23 AM (#192522 - in reply to #192497)
Subject: Re: “ Is my warranty transferable? ”

Even the snap on warranty has concerns. I had them tell me some of my tools were too old, or no longer made, or they had no current replacement, I asked from something else and they said no, Granted these were tools that were my dad's but even a lifetime warranty is subject to the descretion of the company.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nils
Posted 2004-03-15 1:11 AM (#192523 - in reply to #192497)

I think it makes a lot of difference how well you know the Snap-On guy. 35 years ago they were digging up the septic tank behind the body shop where I worked at the time. The backhoe dug up an ancient Snap-On half inch ratchet. It was so old that to reverse it you had to push the half inch drive gizzit through the ratchet head itself. It was rusty as hell, but I soaked it for a few days in deisel & eventually it freed up & started working fine. I asked the Shap-On guy at the time if he'd give me a new one for it. He said "Does it work?" I said "yes". He said to let him know if it broke & he'd replace it :) I gave it to a friend of mine that was an old tool collector.

/\/\/
masotta
Posted 2004-03-15 10:59 AM (#192524 - in reply to #192497)

Well I think Paul Templeman gave us the most reasonable and easy answer; MONEY.
Ovation has a price and cost structure that allows them to offer a “limited life warranty” but this is not completely real… they need trigger clauses to get rid of that commitment as soon as they can, and a “new owner” is one of them.
I can consider the Warranty Ovation offers is related not to the “guitar life” as it seems to be, it’s just attached to the “first owner life”… I consider this a kind of tricky …

Thanks
Pat
willard
Posted 2004-03-15 1:13 PM (#192525 - in reply to #192497)

TRAILOR warrants solely to the original purchaser of [a] TRAILOR musical instrument that the instrument purchased shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for as long as the instrument is owned by the original purchaser, and until the ownership of the instrument is transferred to another

Just took this from Trailor's site and I'm sure you'll find the same kind of wording for Martune and others.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-03-15 4:47 PM (#192526 - in reply to #192497)

massada,
Yikes....your making me nuts. Yes, money comes into the equation. No, you are not being duped or tricked by an evil corporation.
----When you read the next paragraph, read it as though you are Dr. Evil from Austin Powers. Don't forget to put your hands up and do the little quote signs----
My..."Balladeer"... is 30 plus years old. In the next 12 months it will probably go back to the .."factory"... for repair and most of the cost will be covered by .."my".. lifetime warrenty. Because I decided to buy .."new".., rather than .."used".., this option is open to me. The next guitar I buy will also be new ..."because"....I tend to keep my guitars for a very .."long time"... The only way to get that warrenty is to buy a.. "new".. guitar.I want that warrenty and am willing to .."pay".. for it.
----------
I bet this thread still won't die.
I bet I get some flame on this.
Brad
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-03-15 5:01 PM (#192527 - in reply to #192497)

Paul T & co. are absolutely right. As a small business owner myself, I know that to price a product, you have to take into account warranty replacements & policy: it is part of the business plan & model. Part of the $900 (for example) you spend on an Ovation guitar is for the risk that Kaman might have to repair it 35 years later (at whatever parts cost that day...) if you're the guy that bought it originally. The rest of the industry in this case has similar practices, making this policy roughly equivalent to the competitors, an "industry standard," if you will. It is a business decision what kind of warranty you will offer for your product, nothing more or less. The warranties vary between brands / lines within Ovation. This is absolutely normal & fair business practice, IMHYAO. Furthermore, it is clearly spelled out in WRITING. There is no guesswork, and certainly no trickery. Now that we have beat the horse to death, the answer is that someone decided at Ovation that they would NOT fix guitars of subsequent owners on their nickel. They decided that because they couldn't sell the guitar for $900 if they did. They had a reason for hitting the $900 price point (The competitor with the $895 guitar hanging three feet away - probably with a similar 1-owner lifetime limited warranty). Absolutely it is about money, but this is FAIR because both parties know in advance what the rules are. And besides, it really is best for the guys in Connecticut to stay in business. I'm glad they are!
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-03-15 6:33 PM (#192528 - in reply to #192497)

Originally posted by masotta:
they need trigger clauses to get rid of that commitment as soon as they can, and a “new owner” is one of them.
I can consider the Warranty Ovation offers is related not to the “guitar life” as it seems to be, it’s just attached to the “first owner life”… I consider this a kind of tricky …

Noone except you sees any trickery. Hey, why don't you ask them to paint your house for you while they're fixing the beater guitar you bought for peanuts? The musical instrument retail business is a "business" not a charity.
masotta
Posted 2004-03-16 12:04 AM (#192529 - in reply to #192497)

Slipkid,
Your thoughts are not bad, your sarcasm/humor probably a little bit childish.

Paul Templeman,
Sorry Paul, Probably I’m the only one but I’m still thinking that if I’m buying a used Ovation and that Ovation HAS A FACTORY DEFECT and it fails because of that, - Ovation should be responsibly – If they like to use big words “LIFE TIME WARRANTY” then they should be responsible for them.

Thanks
Pat
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-16 1:37 AM (#192530 - in reply to #192497)

My only suggestion at this point is get over it.

I looked through my box of warrantee cards, and I have several items that have lifetime warantees. They ALL say, "for the original owner." In fact many of the limited warrantees say that also.

Having said that... it's all about customer service and you'd be surprised what you can get with a kind word. I'm sorry if that just isn't good enough for you. It's good enough for me, and when it isn't I take my business elsewhere, or not, depending on the issue.

I'm not really following your point based on the fact that things are the way they are, and you are lucky enough to have a product from a company with not only one of the best, but possibly THE best customer service reputation in the industry.

Of course I guess there is the possiblity that you are absolutely correct and the rest of the world is wrong. I don't want to be accused of being closed minded.

Now if you excuse me, I will go back to playing my MOB, which everyone knows would never need any service because it is the only truly perfect guitar Ovation ever built. :) <>
Nils
Posted 2004-03-16 1:57 AM (#192531 - in reply to #192497)

I saw a guy once that could water ski on a canoe paddle with a little strap on it for his foot. Put his other foot on the handle. Do you suppose you could do that with a MOB?
He did pretty good the first few times but then he had a few too many beers & his other foot slipped off the handle. Well that handle flew right up there & that big ol' wooden T grip thing on the end hit him right in the, well, you can guess where it hit him. He was doing about 30. That guy went limp out there like yesterdays lettuce. Poor bastard would have drowned if he hadn't been wearing a life jacket. He was making a really intense face when they pulled him out of the water.
I'm not sure why I happened to think of that....

It's late

/\/\/
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-03-16 2:42 AM (#192532 - in reply to #192497)

When you buy an Ovation product, there is full disclosure of coverage. The only variable is what can be classified as abuse. Frankly, I would rather have Ovation making that determination than some of the other "names".

It is a "Limited Lifetime Warranty" that warrants that the product is free from defects in material and workmanship at the time of delivery to the original retail purchaser.

Most problems with the warranty are from eBay sellers who tout the "lifetime warranty" when selling a used guitar.

Buyer beware when purchasing a used guitar. The market price of a used guitar has already been adjusted to the fact that there is no factory relief through a warranty. Most problems as to material and workmanship will have shown up in the first year or two. At least in the case of Ovation, they have continued to provide direct, professional support of their products, current or past. Where else can you have the staff make the repairs? Can't do that with my Martin, even though I am the orginal owner.

I have bought new and used Ovations...each time, available warranty for new or prior damage when used affected my determination of what I would pay.

Bottom line - there is full disclosure of coverage, no coverage for used, Ovation provides full, professional service and parts at a very reasonable fee even for guitars that have been around for a long time. Don't like it, BUY NEW.
alpep
Posted 2004-03-16 7:49 AM (#192533 - in reply to #192497)

I bought an ovation and never changed the strings and I cut myself on the strings and got sick and went to the hospital and they pumped out my stomach for good measure and then the edge of the string was imbedded in my finger and I had to have surgery and sued ovation for millions of dollars because their warranty never said I ever had to change the strings or that it would not go out of tune and the friggin thing has and I had to run over to the comsumer protection office becsause those basturds tried to steal from me and be trikly with me and get more money because of their bad product and they come around not dong a good job cause they lie and tell bad things and are bad people not like industry people that are good people with good things and good guitars.

my advice is to call this number they will help you 800) 943-6782
Englishplayer
Posted 2004-03-16 8:10 AM (#192534 - in reply to #192497)

In many situations I often side with the consumer because businesses will often interpret situations in the direction of what costs less. In this case, the policy is well-stated that the lifetime warranty applies to the original buyer only and it is not a matter of hidden small print or interpretation. With some companies, you have to buy ONLY from an authorized seller to get the warranty coverage. Whatever you buy used, good luck. I believe I heard something about Tacoma (or some maker) where you can pay them to transfer warranty coverage. Whether or not it's a factory defect, if you buy used the lifetime warranty does not apply. That's just part of the buying used scenario. I see sellers on Ebay advertising factory warranties all the time on their sales of different products used, and I always wonder if it applies.
TRboy
Posted 2004-03-16 9:36 AM (#192535 - in reply to #192497)

masotta,

First off a few basic questions:
*1)What model "used" Ovation do you have?
*2)What "problem" does it have that you want the factory to repair "free of charge"?
*3)Is the "problem" a manufactured defect or abuse/neglect?

Might I suggest that since you "seem" unhappy with Ovation's warranty polices and you can't comprehend why they won't repair a 2nd hand guitar "free" that maybe you could sell your "defective" Ovation on ebay and find another brand of guitar that meets your warranty standards!!!

These might get you started.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3711005030&category=33022]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3711025114&category=2384]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3711029300&category=2385]

Be sure to check their warranties and Good Luck

Mike :rolleyes:
masotta
Posted 2004-03-16 9:42 AM (#192536 - in reply to #192497)

Well guys considering your postings I can imagine just only two possible scenarios:
1) I’m wrong.
2) Most of you work for Ovation.
Thanks all of you for your answers, many of them really funny.

Thanks
Pat
peterbright
Posted 2004-03-16 10:02 AM (#192537 - in reply to #192497)

In the real world, we have items that usually have transferrable warranties such as automobiles (Although you better read the small print on some of the longer warranties.).

Then we have items that usally don't have transferrable warranties such as guitars.

Anytime a manufacturer advertises a lifetime warranty, there is room for confusion in the mind of consumers. A wise consumer investigates the details of the warranty before making a decision.

Of course it's about money. It's a business.
alpep
Posted 2004-03-16 10:46 AM (#192538 - in reply to #192497)

Originally posted by masotta:
Well guys considering your postings I can imagine just only two possible scenarios:
1) I’m wrong.
2) Most of you work for Ovation.
Thanks all of you for your answers, many of them really funny.

Thanks
Pat

Admitting that you have a problem is the first step towards recovery. As for people working for ovation on this board you are incorrect, but you will never believe it anyway unless you get the thearpy that you so desperately need.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-16 11:32 AM (#192539 - in reply to #192497)

LOL... funny AL... And as far as your previous post your suit would never fly because it's common knowledge you never change your strings anyway :)
masotta
Posted 2004-03-16 12:03 PM (#192540 - in reply to #192497)

People reactions facing different point of view are really amazing!
I think I have my position, you guys have yours, and that’s fine. I consider I didn’t insult anybody but I can’t say the same about many of you.

I consider “Dissents + Culture” many times help to find solutions and common point of view, well I think one of those components was missing on this thread.

Thanks
Pat

Alpep
Your comments are really unpleasant; Ovation isn’t a football team, they just make guitars.
cliff
Posted 2004-03-16 12:17 PM (#192541 - in reply to #192497)

ask a stupid question and you'll get a bunch of stupid responses . . .

. . . can we just DROP this already??
masotta
Posted 2004-03-16 12:49 PM (#192542 - in reply to #192497)

Well, I understand, then for you it’s “normal” to answer a stupid question with a stupid answer….

Just for curios people, look at this picture and tell me why this ADAMAS SN 16348 left the factory?

thanks
Pat
alpep
Posted 2004-03-16 1:44 PM (#192543 - in reply to #192497)

Just for curios people, look at this picture and tell me why this ADAMAS SN 16348 left the factory?

thanks
Pat[/QB]

to give you an answer it didn't. Not as a new guitar. Can problems arise? sure.
now some questions for you.

< Your comments are really unpleasant; Ovation isn’t a football team, they just make guitars. >>

This comment makes no sense. I am not interested in football and could care less. Yes they make guitars and if you never contact them they will not know you have any issues.

did you buy the guitar new?

If so why did you buy one that you considered poorly made?

IF you bought it used why buy one you were not happy with?Did you contact the service department with your "issues"?

Did you talk about repairing your guitar?

If you do not contact the service department how can you expect them to help you?
masotta
Posted 2004-03-16 2:00 PM (#192544 - in reply to #192497)

Man, I’m an ovation fan, but not a blind one.

I bought the guitar used under circumstances that are not related with the main topic.
I didn’t contact the customer support cos they state clearly on their web site “WARRANTY NOT TRANSFERABLE”

I didn’t want to post the pictures the first day an just see what people thinks about this issue. Now probably everyone can have second thoughts.

This flaw didn't "arise" obviously it's a factory made mistake (a big one), take a look to the pictures again!!
I think this flaw is gonna be Ovation responsibility FOR EVER, and I like them solving it, and YES, FOR FREE.

Thanks
Pat
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-16 2:03 PM (#192545 - in reply to #192497)

Good luck. Ain't gonna happen. It was the responsibility of the original owner to get it fixed. But quite honestly, I can't tell from your pics what you are talking about. Make you pics a little smaller and step back from the guitar a bit. Focusing might help.
cliff
Posted 2004-03-16 2:20 PM (#192546 - in reply to #192497)

Okay, lemme ask my OWN "stupid question" (and I say this because the only Adamas I'm familiar with is my SlotHead), but isn't the very upper reaches of the Adamas fingerboard SUPPOSED to "float" over the guitar's top (or was that just on the "original" ones?

. . . and Paul's right, those are rather shitty pics . . see if your digital's got a "macro" button (or "back off" to get a "focus").
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)