The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Home recording?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Gary(Uk)
Posted 2004-03-11 6:39 PM (#192479)
Subject: Home recording?

Anyone out there had experience with the Fostex VF80 Retour with cd burner?
Im looking for modern digital kit for the home amateur , im getting pissed off with my old Tascam 244 , ive never used it to its full potential and its not really compatible with modern digital methods, the cassette is a pain in then ass :rolleyes:
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bluebird
Posted 2004-03-11 7:28 PM (#192480 - in reply to #192479)
Subject: Re: Home recording?

Forget the outboard recorders. I recently bought an all-inclusive recording program for PC's called Magix Studio 7 (for $15 from Ebay) and have been having a blast playing around with it and laying down some tracks just for fun. It has an on-board effects rack (the interface pops up and is, indeed, looks and adjusts like the real deal) and a big advantage with the PC is that you can view all the tracks on the monitor and section and edit them as you wish.
You should get a good sound card though…I have an Audigy 2 Platinum which includes a front mounted panel with adjustable in/outputs.

Here is a link to info on the latest version.

Wayne

Magix Studio 2004
Jiminos
Posted 2004-03-12 1:05 AM (#192481 - in reply to #192479)

i have the fostex vf80. i like it (in spite of bluebird's comments) it has worked extremely well for me. and it is not all that difficult to set up and use. kinda spendy though.... but i do like it and i will continue to use it.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-03-12 3:39 AM (#192482 - in reply to #192479)

There are a ton of issues for and against recording on a PC, least of all being the fairly steep learning curve in using the software (I know, it's some of what I teach at University) Then there's the fact that for use with microphones all but the best & most expensive soundcards need a good mic preamp in front of them to get a decent sound, Then there's the whole can of worms of platform stability, etc etc etc.

The Fostex is a very good machine & available in the UK pretty cheap.
Norseman1
Posted 2004-03-12 7:51 AM (#192483 - in reply to #192479)

I posted a week or so about the FV80w/CDR. At Mucisians friend for $599.00. Another poster mentioned the ZOOM being a step better for about the same money. The thread was called VF80CDR I believe.

Norse(would like to do some recording as well)man1
John B
Posted 2004-03-12 8:06 AM (#192484 - in reply to #192479)

I have a Boss BR-532 Digital 4 track which I find very easy to use and has more than enough features for my needs. It operates in a similar fashion to a standard 4-track except that it records digitally to smart cards(the same kind used in digital cameras). When I record my acoustic guitar, I find it easier to get a good sound by using a condenser mic as opposed to going direct. I suspect that if I had more patience, I could get an even better sound. I have some rough demo song samples on my website:
www.johnbruggeman.net.

iconocoustica
Posted 2004-03-12 8:15 AM (#192485 - in reply to #192479)

I can highly recommend the Yamaha AW16g HD recorder. It may not be the cheapest of its kind, but it may very well be the best.

Franklin
cliff
Posted 2004-03-12 8:51 AM (#192486 - in reply to #192479)

I've gota an old Tascam 4-channel cassette unit.
I know, I know! - BOO!, HISS!!, yadayada . .
After I move, I'll be looking to get something "digital", but for now this serves the basic need.
Does anyone know of an inexpensive standalone unit that I can plug my recorder into to dub the output onto CD?
We've been making very BASIC demo tapes of our live act for potential new gigs, but for as few people that there are RECORDING onto cassette, there are LESS people who know own a caseete player to LISTEN to them on! I'm just looking for a very basic model that I can dub CD's with.
John B
Posted 2004-03-12 9:09 AM (#192487 - in reply to #192479)

Cliff:

I have both a good stand alone burner in my rack and an M.D. recorder which is good to store masters on. You're welcome to come by and use them any time you like.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-03-12 9:43 AM (#192488 - in reply to #192479)

Tascam has a new 24 Track Digital Workstation for about the same price as the 488MkII was about a year after it came out--about 1199. shopping around the price may vary a few bucks higher or lower-plus if you are computer savy-it has the ability to back up tracks through a usb port.
looks pretty impressive- and I would think well worth it!
Strummin12
Posted 2004-03-12 10:20 AM (#192489 - in reply to #192479)

I have the Zoom MRS1266 and i LOVE IT! Now it has become replaced with a 16 track version for around $1200. Everything you can dream of...amp modelling (Crazy parameters including things like setting "air" between the the mic and cab!) to great vocal preamp settings...chorus, flange, wah (expression pedal!)etc., etc., plus MASTERING presets/section. EQs and Chorus, panning, reverbs....The nice part is the TOUCH SENSITIVE drum machine pads and gazillion drums, and a bass track and bass sounds. Very easy to use, built in cd burner...well worth it! Technology in this little unit is amazing.

-Johnny
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-03-12 12:38 PM (#192490 - in reply to #192479)

The Yamaha AW's are fine, but they are let down, as are the majority of this type of DAW, by the lack of an SVGA monitor output. Working on a tiny LCD screen gets old real quick. The Akai DPS work-stations get around it by having a downloadable PC programme, so the machine has mouse & keyboard control through the midi ports and you work via your PC monitor. I have a 21inch flatscreen monitor on my Roland VS248O, which makes it an absolute joy to use. The other advantage with the Roland VS-series is they have introduced a new effects board which will run third-party software such as Antares Auto-tune, Massenberg EQ, T-Racks mastering, universal Audio compressors & a bunch of other stuff.
Gary(Uk)
Posted 2004-03-12 8:12 PM (#192491 - in reply to #192479)

Ive looked around and i want to keep away from the PC variants, i work on a pc enough at work and home without using one for pleasure.
The VF80 or similar looks about the best ideal for me, with a built in burner and not so complicated, there are so many nice bits of kit out there to choose from, but common sense must prevail! Not.
alpep
Posted 2004-03-12 8:33 PM (#192492 - in reply to #192479)

i have a korg d 1600 it is very nice
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)