The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
The Scots Do it Again!!!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-03-12 10:33 AM (#192433)
Subject: The Scots Do it Again!!!

Once again the Scots have a great idea! :D

Youngsters make jamming good music

Argyllshire Advertiser
Published on: March 12, 2004

Young musicians from Mid Argyll are enjoying regular jamming sessions in the Mid Argyll Youth Project building, Lochgilphead. The Jam Project gives teenagers the chance to practice their music and provides instruments, equipment and a venue. a11jam01

What if Ovation did something similar!??? :cool:

tim
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-12 10:48 AM (#192434 - in reply to #192433)
Subject: Re: The Scots Do it Again!!!

Tim, that would be wonderful. If not Ovation then at least us as individuals. Lately I have felt compelled toward the idea of outreach through "jam sessions".

Any Manufacturer would do well to adopt such a program. How many of us woke up at 40 and decided to play and pay for a new guitar? My guess is we all had early influences and exposure to music and self expression.
ClassicRocker
Posted 2004-03-12 11:23 AM (#192435 - in reply to #192433)

Had to chime in being of Scottish heritage...

There was a small group of us in college that were total Music Freaks.
I was the only one that pursued it professionally post college daze.
Three of us still email everyday about music.

The son of one of the three took up the Drums at age 13...got him a set of Pearls...kid is really good now...played along with White Room when we visited him in Philly...also a huge Zep fan...jams with a kid in the neighborhood that plays guitar.

So I said to my good buddy...these guys need to fill out the rhythm section...why don't you buy a Bass? So he did! And now he is jammin' at age 49 with his son and his son's friend.
He recently said to me...this is AMAZING...what took me so long?

Music and Jammin' for kids...ya can't beat it!
Put those young minds and idle hands to makin' music and WOW!
Truth is...even the older folk could benefit as I described...maybe even more so.

Great Post...a much needed and wanted continuing project...passing on the knowledge and skill to the younger generations through programs supported by Manufacturers, Forums, Jam Groups, Friends, Parents, Etc.

With more folks participating in the Arts, especially Music, what a wonderful world it would begin to be!
Beal
Posted 2004-03-12 11:32 AM (#192436 - in reply to #192433)

Great thing to do. Woody, you got the right idea with the fan club pushing these. As for KMC to contrinute, that is solidly in the Marketing area...CLICK.
Patsbro
Posted 2004-03-12 3:34 PM (#192437 - in reply to #192433)

A few years ago Fender had a program with endorsee Bonnie Raitt to provide instruments to various youth organizations. Our local Boys' and Girls' Club received 10 acoustic guitars w/gig bags, a Stratocaster w/amp, additional picks, strings, a tuner, metronome, and various beginners instructional material. The instruments were entry level but 1st class, not seconds. Considering that a large number of the members are low income and probably might never have "hands on" access to instruments, this was a class act on the part of Fender.

Patsbro
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-03-17 4:58 PM (#192438 - in reply to #192433)

I'm bumping this up because I really think this could be a very valuable program not only to Ovation, but ti society in general. If kids are jammin, they aren't stealing (except licks!).

Ovation, you CAN DO THIS!!!

Also... getting verrrrrrrry tired of Warranty discussions....

tim
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-03-17 6:18 PM (#192439 - in reply to #192433)

I don't want to be the pessimist but I don't really see a manufacturer being able to support music programs directly throughout the 50 states AND through the large number of overlapping non-profits (i.e., Boys and Girls Clubs, YMCA, YWCA, and the many CBO's - community based organizations.) This is in additional to the schools. I have seen little cooperation between agencies. They have their territory and they fight to protect it, even if those in need lose out.

An option possibly - there were several guitars and amps donated at NAMM to be auctioned on eBay for a non-profit with the goal of bringing music to primarily inner city. Ovation donated a 30th Anniv CL which was great. Don't remember the name of the newly formed charity. Still small change for the need.

A lot of our problem is that many schools no longer have music programs of any sort through the school. Out here in San Diego, there is so much effort and funds going to 6X6 programs, little left for other programs (6X6 is where there is supervision and programs starting at 6am and continuing after school until 6pm - thus free supervision for working parents.) Even the CBOs have programs for after school. Bottom line, competition for the tax and charitable dollars.

It is a truism that there is more crime when kids aren't in school. However, the truth is that 6X6 programs aren't reducing crime as the crime is being caused by truants. I have seen cases where a juvenile had 183 truants by January 18th (half way through the school year and obviously more than one truant report in a day. Even the juvenile court and probation can't keep a juvenile in school if he or she is determined to leave.

Could a local program be put together? Probably with the support of local guitarists (? OFC), a guitar shop, and a manufacturer. It would take some decent discounts/contributions from the guitar shop/manufacturer, volunteers, and a lot of local fundraising (to include charitable donations). Direct give-away? Doubt it. I wouldn't do it if I was the decision maker at a guitar company...might help if I saw the STRUCTURE and enthusiasm already in place.

I have been in agencies where they had equipment donated by companies that they hadn't taken out of the shipping boxes even after several years. In one case, they just don't know how it "disappeared". According to one former employee of the agency, it was taken home by one of the staff and sold.

If someone from the OFC identifies a specific school or agency, gets support from a local Ovation dealer, has the non-profit organization formed, a structure defined, at least matching fund raising - then approaches Ovation for help, maybe. In otherwords, local!
cliff
Posted 2004-03-17 6:42 PM (#192440 - in reply to #192433)

There's also a national non-profit organization who's only goal is putting instruments and music programs in local schools & such, but for the life of me I can't remember it now. There are quite a few notables involved like Sting & Dave Matthews (in fact I believe Matthews did a NYC charity show for it recently. I'll get back with the name.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-03-18 7:32 AM (#192441 - in reply to #192433)

The logistics are indeed daunting, however, even if Ovation sponsored one program in the inner city ..... (oh, uh, are there actual cities in CT?)... and invited the media to report on it...

tim
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-18 8:09 AM (#192442 - in reply to #192433)

Tim,
You can see it too! I would ask any who read this post to leave themselves open to the idea of looking for opportunities to share the love of music that they have. Through programs, gatherings or just one-on-one with the people you run into. Be open for this week and into the weekend.

Come Monday - let us know what you came across.

Personnaly, I believe in miracles. Case in point - I recently aquired a very nice 12 string at a very nice price, from a super nice OFC Member. I survived the combination of G-A-S and P-M-S and the stresses of daily living when I didn't think it could possibly work out. I got to sleep in my own bed last night too.

One person can make a difference. Several can cause a revolution. (And I mean that in a nice way Al)
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-03-18 8:17 AM (#192443 - in reply to #192433)

Mwoody,

Last week PBS (Pledge break again) aired the PP&M documentary which proves that music can and does change lives, even an entire country.

I also agree with you regarding the blessings of sharing music... with children definately, but also with the aged.

As you might remember from my other postings, I play in an "Elder Care" music Ministry and we play at several Rest Homes. The joy the dear residents express when we play is awesome! We are the ones who receive a greater blessing!

One person with a talent, no matter how small, can and should be a blessing to someone else!

ok.... sermon over....

But, imagine the marketing coup if Ovation started a Music Workshop for children/young adults! And the effect it would have on those young lives!

tim
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-03-18 12:44 PM (#192444 - in reply to #192433)

On a local basis, it can work and grow.

Identify the need, contact the appropriate locals (CBO, school, etc.), create structure (to include non-profit status), raise funds, seek out grants, seek out donations (or highly discounts) of equipment from local stores or big O, volunteer to assist, continue to supervise.

Your non-profit status gives an incentive for equipment or cash as they would have a tax deduction. Equipment could be new or blem (i.e., floor stock or overstock). Very easy to form a non-profit.

There is a lot of grants out there that are often overlooked although the grantor may require matching funds. If you have support from the school/school district or an established CBO, may even be able to get a "seed" grant from state-wide or national agencies (in California, maybe California Wellness). The school district or CBO relies on grants and probably has an individual well versed in writing grant applications.

Several posts concerning OFC'ers getting together to jam...good start. A lot of work so it needs a strong commitment.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)