The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
String breakage... again.

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-03-14 3:36 PM (#192283)
Subject: String breakage... again.

I thought I had this problem solved 4 years ago when I switched to a medium-light pick guage, but here it's back again. I know this could just be a bad run of luck but I just today broke my 2nd G in as many months. I even had a capo on this time, which I would think would reduce the likelihood of a break. Anyway, several months ago I had changed from Elixir PolyWeb lights to NanoWeb Lights. Supposed to have a thinner condom, sound a little better, blah, blah, blah. I actually think I like the PolyWeb better, & I think I'm going to switch back. Anyone out there had this happen with Elixirs? Both times the break was right at the bridge. Just curious.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
peterbright
Posted 2004-03-14 3:48 PM (#192284 - in reply to #192283)
Subject: Re: String breakage... again.

How many hours a day do you play?
cliff
Posted 2004-03-14 3:56 PM (#192285 - in reply to #192283)

Two strings in two months . . . .

wow, I'd KILL for an average like that! :D

I usually average a G and a D string at JUST about every gig. I usually buy those two particular strings (and some others) individually in 5-string packs.

btw: Switching to a lighter pick COULD be causing you to strum a little harder.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-14 4:00 PM (#192286 - in reply to #192283)

When you say it breaks at the bridge, where exactly? The ball end? the bridge contact point? Also, changeing your strings once a month would probably stop this if you are gigging, but "at the bridge" is a little curious to me.
alpep
Posted 2004-03-14 4:36 PM (#192287 - in reply to #192283)

change your technique
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-14 5:33 PM (#192288 - in reply to #192283)

Turn your monitor up!
CharlieB
Posted 2004-03-14 6:15 PM (#192289 - in reply to #192283)

Buy stock in Elixer!~
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-03-14 10:29 PM (#192290 - in reply to #192283)

What THEY said.... all good. FWIW, I was an inveterate string breaker when I used Fender medium picks. I bought the rounded three sided ones because if I broke one tip, I would have two others.

But a combination of the pick and bad technique led to countless broken strings. What ended the breakage was a switch to slightly heavier Jim Dunlop nylon picks. I changed my attack slightly and adjusted my EQ to compensate for the duller tone. Now I don't keep two or three guitars on stage all the time because I very,very rarely break a string.
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-03-15 9:01 AM (#192291 - in reply to #192283)

Thanks, guys. Good thoughts... Even a retirement plan!! (thanks, Charlie). To answer some questions:
Peterbright: About a half-hour average.
Cliff: Maybe I didn't realize I was doing so well!
Miles: Just on the side of the bridge towards the fingerboard, almost right on the apex of the point. Doesn't seem to be any rough spots, either. I change them after six weeks or so, or right after they go dead. Elixirs sound great for a long time, then die suddenly. Of course, depends a lot on how much playing...
Al: you mean pick angle? This particular time I wasn't strumming all that hard, maybe "75%"
MWoody: I wish I had one here at home, but not yet.
Charlie: Not a bad idea. I think they have a great product.
Paul: Very interesting. I went the other way, changing from Dunlop Tortex medium (the orange ones, can't read the logo anymore) to Calyton
rounded triangle .50. But also, like I said this hasn't happened since I went to the NanoWeb version of the Elixirs.
Thanks for all the replies.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-15 2:34 PM (#192292 - in reply to #192283)

"Just on the side of the bridge towards the fingerboard, almost right on the apex of the point."

Are you twisting the strings at all when you string the guitar? I know a lot of people bring the string through the bridge up to the machines, then wrap them around the machines a few times to get them started. You are twisting the strings if you do that unless you insure the ball end is not tucked into the bridge yet. If you do this more than a couple of time, that might be causing the problem.

I have never broken a string right on the bridge unless something was wrong. That fact that you are breaking it in the same spot every time indicates something is amiss to me.
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-03-15 4:18 PM (#192293 - in reply to #192283)

Here's my "procedure" for string changes (I think it is different from what you recommend):
I pull the new string thru the bridge & tap it in so it's snug. Then I "measure off" about an inch & a half of string beyond the machine & bend it there. Then I thread the machine & stop feeding when I reach the bend. I now have a little slack in the string, still with the bridge end tucked in. With my right index finger, I hold the string securely against the peghead just in front of the machine as I crank with my left hand (so the string feeds correctly as it winds, with no overwrap). I keep going until I get just a little tension on the string, then clip the excess that is hanging out of the machine. Then I finish by bringing the string up to concert pitch.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-15 4:40 PM (#192294 - in reply to #192283)

JohnnyMac that's the way I do it. I was just pointing out the way that I have seen some folks do it, and it's not good.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-15 4:59 PM (#192295 - in reply to #192283)

Wow. You guys are awfully careful with your string changes. I just slap 'em in place and let fly. Medium strings and picks. I've never broken a string while playing.
Gary(Uk)
Posted 2004-03-15 5:16 PM (#192296 - in reply to #192283)

Quote "I just slap 'em in place and let fly"
Nothing quite like a 012 gauge in the eyeball eh!
God it hurts!
Kirk
Posted 2004-03-15 10:12 PM (#192297 - in reply to #192283)

Maybe you have a little gouge or nick in your bridge or nut...try getting em replaced with corian...yes corian better resonance and sustain than bone
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)