The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
eadgBE

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

DeFalaise
Posted 2004-03-15 7:05 PM (#192218)
Subject: eadgBE

Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post. I recently purchased my ovation celebrity cs 257 (Korean make) from a friend. He NEVER played it, and purchased it brand new about a year ago. It's been kept in a super padded, nylon tuxedo style case, zipped up, with silica and well taken care of. The guitar is\was flawless until a week ago. Now, whenever I play it through my mixer\monitors, or an amp, every string rings with correct amplitude except the B and E strings (they can only be faintly heard over the speakers, possibly by being picked up by the rest of the pickup??). I recently put a new set of strings on the guitar (some cheap Martin acoustic medium gage)and the problem seemed to happen soon after. Just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what the problem might be?

I'm thinking it's either the pickup, or possibly the percentage\material of the alloy in the last two strings, making it difficult for the pickup to pick-up any vibration in the field. I hope it's the strings, not the pickup!!

Thanks!!!

mark
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-03-15 7:16 PM (#192219 - in reply to #192218)
Subject: Re: eadgBE

sounds like the pickup but mixing strings can cause a problem also

years ago I put a flatwound d on an electric guitra with wound rounds.( I was a poor dumb kid at the time) The flatwound had almost no output compared to the other strings
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-03-15 7:22 PM (#192220 - in reply to #192218)
Subject: Re: eadgBE

Ovation pickups are usually pretty immune to string balance issues. Problems like this are usually down to either the piezo elements in the pickup going bad, a badly routed saddle-slot or uneven shimming. The most likely suspect is the pickup, in which case you should contact a local Ovation dealer or customer service to get a replacement. Try removing any shims under the saddle & see if that improves the string balance. It's almost certainly not down to the strings. Unlike magnetic pickups piezos are sensitive to vibration/pressure not ferric content, so the make-up of the strings is not a factor.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)