The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
504 II

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Nils
Posted 2004-03-16 12:48 AM (#192211)
Subject: 504 II

I received my 504 II last Friday. It didn't come with the manual so I downloaded it from the ZOOM web site, 31 pages.
Most of the preset effects I've tried sound quite good, to me anyway, although I'm still trying to figure out how to customize them. Chorus & reverb sound good.
The manual has a "Patch List" diagram that helps a lot. The unit has 6 banks (A-F, F is for making electric guitars sound like acoustic) with 6 patches per bank. Pretty much like the 505. You can use up to 10 different effects per patch (if I'm reading it right)& turn each on & off except for the ones marked "global". The list shows what the basic factory settings are for each preset patch with a short description of each.
So far I've had my best luck looking for the preset patch that makes close to the sound I'm looking for & not messing with the programming. I already had to find the place in the book that tells how to restore factory defaults :)
Everything is adjustable, assuming the guy doing the adjusting can figure out how to do it properly.
Bear in mind that I'm an old fart that has to get the owners manual out to reset the digital clock in my old '93 Aerostar twice a year for daylight savings time. (Unless I can remember to ask one of my 10 year old nephews to do it for me.) Some years I've just left it, eventually it will be right again...
Anyway, it's kind of a steep learning curve for an old dumbass like me, a little easier than the old 505 maybe, but not a lot. I'll have to spend some more time with the manual just like I did with the 505. Once I get the three or four patches that I will ever actually use, I'll have to get them moved next to each other. The book says I can do that, I'll figure out how to move patches after I figure out how to make some worth saving, let alone moving.
I haven't tried the auto feedback killer (or manual feedback killer if I want to confuse myself even more, I'll probably stick to auto.) That will be a nice thing to have when playing my 1612 (no notch filter). It looks to be fairly simple to use that part.
I also haven't tried the "Acoustic Simulation for Electric Guitar" yet.
I think it would be a lot easier if they would use a tiny bit more sophisticated interface for programming. Trying to figure out what it's saying with only two digits is a real guessing game. Two digits is fine for telling you what patch you're using, but a small screen like on a cheap calculator with a basic menu would help tremendously for programming. Some of the two digit "notations" look like they're written in Klingon symbols. It couldn't add much to the price I wouldn't think. Instructions written for Dummies would be nice too.
Bottom line at this point- I like the sound real well & I'm sure I can get it to sound pretty much any way I want it to. Generally less *harsh* than playing through the 505. It will do a lot of things I haven't tried yet. It could be easier to adjust, but I'm sure I can figure it out by reading the manual more. It seems to be plenty sturdy, just like the 505. It's also slightly smaller & lighter.

/\/\/
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bailey
Posted 2004-03-16 1:17 AM (#192212 - in reply to #192211)
Subject: Re: 504 II

Nils

Nice review, I have a 505II and now I want to get it out and fool around with it. I've been pretty happy with it in the past and I put my creations on A1 and A2 knowing I can always revert them to factory if my setups don't interst me any more.

Good review.

Bailey
iconocoustica
Posted 2004-03-16 1:44 PM (#192213 - in reply to #192211)

Thanks for the review, Nils. Are you running your O through with just the piezo? Can you A/B the sound (on vs. bypass) and tell what difference it makes to the piezo tone? Does it take the quack out and warm up the sound? It seems like alot of processor for the money. Thanks for your input.

Franklin
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-16 2:16 PM (#192214 - in reply to #192211)

Nils,
You have obviously moved past the "set the clock on the VCR" stage and will soon be an accomplished Wiz at sound settings. I still have to find the instructions for the CD Player/Clock in my truck.

You are doing great. Keep it up!
Nils
Posted 2004-03-16 9:31 PM (#192215 - in reply to #192211)

I'm gaining on it. I'm still not real good at adjusting the settings for each patch to make them sound exactly like I want them to, but I'm gettting better at it. I have to have the manual open to the right page & follow the instructions closely but it's getting much easier.
I am using only the piezo.
I ran my 1612 through it a little while ago. The feedback suppressor works but not as well as the notch filter in my OP40 equipped O's. Then again, the 1612 is the only deep bowl I have, so that may have something to do with it. The 2002 Coll. is a mid bowl & my 12 string is a SS, so either of them is less prone to feedback to begin with.
The effects can be turned off by pushing both foot switches at the same time which puts it into "tuner" mode, but it still sends a (no-effects) signel to the amp. Is that what you meant by A/B?
The 1612 still has two little "quacks" in the finish :) I'm not really sure what you mean by "quack" to be honest...

That reminds me, the 1612 is also beginning to show where the two pieces of the top were joined together. It's not "quacked :) " there yet, but it looks like it may at some point. Is there anything I can do to help that not happen? I've been giving it plenty of Dunlop 65. Maybe it's time I get a hygrometer?
The humidity here is 38% at the moment according to the TV. What would the best humidity be?

Nils

Just did a search- Paul T. says 45% humidity +/- 10%. It should be fine, if it cracks it cracks. It stays in it's case when not in use, that's the best I can do. I'll keep hitting it with Dunlop 65 & call it good. It's a player not a wall hanger :)
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-03-17 7:44 AM (#192216 - in reply to #192211)

Nils,

If I'm correct, though I seldom am, the "Quack" being mentioned is that buzzy/processed sound that most people have when:

1) they overprocess
2) low battery
3) plug-in anything other than an Ovation.

I call it "Squacky"... somewhere between a quack and a squawk... Listen to most television broadcasts featuring an acoustic guitar and you will hear them sounding squacky....

tim
Nils
Posted 2004-03-17 9:44 AM (#192217 - in reply to #192211)

Aha. I seem to remember a song by The Fugs (circa 1966?) called "Squack Man meets the Lunatic Vagina". You're probably right Tim, I think maybe those folks had over-processed something...
:)

/\/\/
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)