The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
LX Legend does it again!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-03-16 10:52 PM (#192121)
Subject: LX Legend does it again!

Last week after church this guy came up to me and introduced himself. We got to talking and he told me his father had given him a Martin D-35 about 10 years ago. I asked him if he had ever played or owned an Ovation. What I got from him was a classic answer. He said, " I don't plug in like you, so I really never really needed one". This was just the break I needed. After everyone left church, I asked him to sit down and play my Legend LX unplugged. He was a good player, and after only about a minute of playing the LX he said "wow, this is one great sounding guitar". I asked him how it compared to his Martin D-35, and he said the LX played alot better, and he found the LX sound to be warm and mellow. I played a few songs for him, and again he could not get over the fullness of the LX tone. "I just might have to get one of these" was the last thing he told me. Seems this is one Martin fan that got to see first hand how wonderful the LX Legend is. :D :D
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bailey
Posted 2004-03-17 1:50 AM (#192122 - in reply to #192121)
Subject: Re: LX Legend does it again!

Paul

Maybe what impresses a Martin owner is a guitar with not only the great acoustic sound, but one that doesn't have to be treated as if it were constructed of eggshells and linguine, requiring all kinds of humidity control and a secret service detail to prevent someone from walking off with a $5 grand guitar on the first break when you hit the john. An accidental bump of an Ovation roundback doesn't usually result in a shipment to the factory to restore a splintered rosewood piece of VERY expensive furniture.

Sturdy, and it sounds great, Take it to the beach and party, only in an Ovation!!

Bailey
CharlieB
Posted 2004-03-17 6:05 AM (#192123 - in reply to #192121)

The only thought that comes to mind, is that church IS the place of conversion. The Lord works in strange ways, perhaps he'll see the light and actually buy an O.
John B
Posted 2004-03-17 7:50 AM (#192124 - in reply to #192121)

Do I detect a little Martin bashing going on here? ;) As a devout Martin and Ovation fan, I feel like I must say a few words in defense of Martin. I have played out with my Martins for years and they have been banged, dinged, bumped, taken out in sub zero and hot and humid conditions, and basically exposed to everything that a "working" guitar gets exposed to. I must say that they have yet to let me down once.

I'm curious as to where all the hostility toward other brands of guitars comes from (even though I think that these particular comments were kind of "tounge and cheek"). I have seen many posts on this board bashing Taylor and Martin and I guess that I just don't get it. I mean, we're all guitar lovers here, aren't we? Why would anyone have such prejudice for such good guitars?

I really don't take this stuff too seriously, and I'm not looking to start a "flame fest" here. I'm just curious.

John
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-17 8:00 AM (#192125 - in reply to #192121)

Not sure you see too much Martin bashing around here.... some Taylor, but in a lot of cases.. they deserve it. I can relate to the "delicate" Martin issue. I friend of mine just bought one, and it's gorgeous and sounds fantastic, or at least sounds as it was intended too. But, as soon as he took it out of the case and offered me to strum a few chords, off came my jewelry, vest, and I pulled my shirt over my belt buckle. Frankly I was just afread to touch the damn thing. I know it's much more sturdy than that, but after playing and holding Ovations for so many years, and in fact TRYING to break a few already trashed ones, well.... I was just afraid I was going to damage is just by holding it. It was like I was holding a piece of art that sounded good, and as it wasn't mine.... well... that's just my reaction so I can relate to the above comments.

Just FYI, a couple of people of late asked about our no-Ovation bashing. I would suggest that you haven't read many of the posts. I did some research and we have ripped into more Ovation's than anything else. There has been the odd shot at other brands, and in fact most of them have been indeed observations rather than the "bashing" I have seen on other boards, but we've ripped into some Ovations over the past couple of years.

I'm not sure any of this means anything... it's just something I've noticed. I think many of us own more than one brand guitar.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-17 8:04 AM (#192126 - in reply to #192121)

I don't think anybody here thinks that guitars made by other manufacturers are bad, just that there is tremendous hype about them. And very few guitars are as good as the hype.

Music stores push a lot of Martins and Taylors. I've played a few Martins that I thought were excellent guitars. I've yet to feel that way about a Taylor. But to listen to store clerks and owners of those guitars, they are the end all of guitars. They're not.

To be fair, I've got a friend who has a Taylor 6 and 12. We've played each others guitars and are extremely polite in our comments. But his guitars don't do anything for me as mine don't for him.

Plus, Ovation has been the under dog for a long time. And those of us who love them, feel passionately about them.
cliff
Posted 2004-03-17 8:28 AM (#192127 - in reply to #192121)

I think a lot of it stems that passionate Ovation enthusiasts have witnessed "their" brand constantly (and undeservedly) being "bashed" in various guitar forums (especially music stores).

Kick a dog long enough . . . and eventually it'll bite ya' in the nuts!
John B
Posted 2004-03-17 8:29 AM (#192128 - in reply to #192121)

Miles: Your points well taken regarding the difference in the feel of a Martin as opposed to an Ovation. After playing my O's for a long time, the Martin's do feel pretty delicate. My Martins are not of the very expensive variety as I use them for gigs. They are basically "plain Janes" that are good guitars, just nothing fancy.

Don't get me wrong, I take care of my guitars, but I also believe in using them, so I don't worry if they get a few "war wounds" on them. I gave that up long ago.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-17 8:42 AM (#192129 - in reply to #192121)

Cliff:

Stay away from my nuts!
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-17 10:23 AM (#192130 - in reply to #192121)

Two things I have learned on these posts:

1) There is a definite learning curve for all new posters. It takes about 50 posts to settle in.

2) This is a "Family Friendly" site and bad habits learned from other sites and especially chat rooms (think fast, flame first).

3) Conduct yourself as though you will be meeting with each person the next day. Treat them with respect and the understanding that you will want to ask to play their guitar!

4) Remember that your Wife, Kids and Coworkers can access this site as well!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-17 10:36 AM (#192131 - in reply to #192121)

Woodrow is correct. Therefore I'll edit my post...

"Cliff, stay away from my cojones".
cliff
Posted 2004-03-17 10:37 AM (#192132 - in reply to #192121)

So, . . . what your saying is . . . . if my response to Moody's comment about his "nuts" woulda' been:

"Too late, Paul . . . Bush & Co. already took 'em"

. . . that woulda' just been "wrong".

Right?

:D
John B
Posted 2004-03-17 10:40 AM (#192133 - in reply to #192121)

I see that we have sunk to an appropriate level. :D
John B
Posted 2004-03-17 10:49 AM (#192134 - in reply to #192121)

"I think a lot of it stems that passionate Ovation enthusiasts have witnessed "their" brand constantly (and undeservedly) being "bashed" in various guitar forums (especially music stores)."

I think that people who bash Ovations probably fall in to one of three catagories.

1.) They've never played one. In which case the person is just an idiot.

2.) They've only played a poorly set up floor model in a store.

3.) They've tried Ovations and for what ever reason, just don't care for them, which is an opinion that they are entitled to, even if they are WRONG.
;)
cliff
Posted 2004-03-17 10:52 AM (#192135 - in reply to #192121)

Even though we've never "met" yet (soon to be recified), Paul and I have an "understanding".

Even though we can "thrust & parry" with each other about just about anything, the foils have buttons on the ends, and nobody really gets hurt.

A type of friendship I particularly like ;)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-17 10:57 AM (#192136 - in reply to #192121)

What Clifford said.
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-17 11:05 AM (#192137 - in reply to #192121)

Cliff,

You came dangerously close to using the terms "Bush" and "Rectify" in the same post, not to mention, the same sentence. I'm sure you and Paul will have many hugs at the Tour - especially since I know you'll both want to play each others guitars.

I have been trying not to use words like tangent, MOB, celebrity and banjo. Let me know if I slip up occasionally please. :D

M(and who made you say that? could it be... satan?)Woody
cliff
Posted 2004-03-17 11:06 AM (#192138 - in reply to #192121)

Did somebody let that big red dog in here again??
(like I've never heard THAT one before!) :rolleyes:
cliff
Posted 2004-03-17 11:21 AM (#192139 - in reply to #192121)

Bruggy;

#2 in your post probably hits the nail most squarely on the head.

We've discussed/argued this WAY too many time in the recent past, but the gist of it seems to be:

A great deal of the uneducated guitar-buying public will go into a GutarCenter (or whatever) and plunk their way through the limited selection of lesser-quality Korean-made Ovation models (and nothing ELSE because that's ALL that's available to them) and wrongly assume that this is ALL that Ovation is about.

A search of previous posts will find this discussed WAY past "ad nauseum". :rolleyes:
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-17 11:27 AM (#192140 - in reply to #192121)

Cliff,

Keep in mind the Analogy of the 10 Blind Men describing the Elephant as they all touch different parts.

Most of us have had the benefit of grabbing it by the "cajoles".
John B
Posted 2004-03-17 11:31 AM (#192141 - in reply to #192121)

Cliff:

You're exactly right. It's a shame that more people are not exposed to what Ovation is really all about. You know how much I like Ovations and even I had some preconceived notions about Ovations that were totally off base. I had no idea how great of an "all acoustic" guitar an Ovation could be until you showed me your Adamas Slothead. That was a real eye (and ear) opener for me. Sometimes people just need someone to educate them a little bit. I, for one, don't mind admitting that I was wrong.
cliff
Posted 2004-03-17 11:44 AM (#192142 - in reply to #192121)

spoken like a true "married man".
John B
Posted 2004-03-17 12:05 PM (#192143 - in reply to #192121)

That may be true but I did get the OK to buy the new "Legend"! You gotta give me a little credit for that one. :D
cliff
Posted 2004-03-17 12:21 PM (#192144 - in reply to #192121)

hmmm . . . .

I may have it all wrong, but I thought that it was Joanna's idea that you buy the Legend . . :)
John B
Posted 2004-03-17 12:27 PM (#192145 - in reply to #192121)

It's never Joanna's idea that I buy anything. She did say that she liked it in the store, so I knew that I at least had a chance. Normally, if I mention guitars, her eyes just sort of glaze over and I can tell she's thinking "how much is he gonna spend THIS time!".
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)