The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
LX Legend does it again!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-03-17 12:35 PM (#192146 - in reply to #192121)
Subject: Re: LX Legend does it again!

I never meant for this post to knock Martin guitars. I just wanted to show that when someone has the time to sit down and play an Ovation like the Legend LX, they can see and hear for themselves how good these guitars really are.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MWoody
Posted 2004-03-17 1:05 PM (#192147 - in reply to #192121)

back on track - I have had plenty of conversations at church come up over guitars. I have also had several conversations about church come up over guitars!

M("I don't have a religion I have a Relationship" and "I don't just play guitars, I play Ovations")Woody
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-17 1:21 PM (#192148 - in reply to #192121)

Jeez Paul. See how much trouble you started!
willard
Posted 2004-03-17 1:28 PM (#192149 - in reply to #192121)

I played my first LX last night and thought the neck seemed a littl fat. Anyone else have that impression? Nice sound and really nice preamp controls.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-03-17 1:50 PM (#192150 - in reply to #192121)

Bill, I had a 30th anniversary Custom Legend for a short while before I got my Legend LX. I found the 30th Custom Legend neck to be kinda fat, but I find the LX neck to be thinner. Real nice feel to it.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-03-17 2:30 PM (#192151 - in reply to #192121)

Fat? Must be a better word to describe...kinda like deep bowl v. fat bowl.

Goes back to trying before buying (if you can find one.)

I felt the LX Legend's neck very close to the 2002 Collectors...as to the 30th Anniv CL, similar to past Custom Legends which IMHO was their intent as a 30th Anniversary. As the owner of three 30th CL Anniversaries, I am confident that anyone who has played a Custom Legend will find it comfortable. Even if we see the LX technology included in future CL's, I would hope they keep the same neck.

I look at the Custom Legend as an acoustic that you can also plug in...I look at the LX or 2002 Collectors as trying to find that compromise between an electric and acoustic.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-03-17 2:42 PM (#192152 - in reply to #192121)

Tony, I see it as the opposite of how you see the two guitars. I see the LX as an acoustic first. The scalloped bracing really helps this guitar sing. In my humble opinion the 30th Custom Legend did not have the tone that the Legend LX has. But then that is just me, and how do you describe tone. Now I am confusing myself. (lol) :confused:
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-03-17 3:38 PM (#192153 - in reply to #192121)

First of all, I really like the LX. However, the LX is not a deep bowl and side by side with the 30th Anniv, the 30th Anniv ranked better IMHO. Not taking anything away from the LX. Mute point as all 30th Anniv have been sold by the factory. Might still be available through a dealer.

We can measure specific parts of the guitar, the neck diameter is a good example; however, feel and tone is subjective. IMHO, the 30 CL Anniv is an outstanding example of Ovation's work, past and present. I will not try to rank it against other O's unless I have played them for a long enough period. What I have found interesting about the three Anniversaries that I have is that they all "sing" slightly differently...kind of like three great tenors. The bear claw spruce and possibly the bowl create a guitar that even though new outshines the 1619. I have to believe that it would outshine the newer CL's with mid or shallow bowl.

This is what I have found when comparing several hand made guitars by the same luthier. They have a slightly different personality, a different "voice".

Looking forward the the Adamas Millennium (CVT) coming in.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-03-17 4:50 PM (#192154 - in reply to #192121)

The last few comments have led me to again stress to Ovation that they need to come out with a deep bowl LX, with the new bowl material.
Bailey
Posted 2004-03-18 1:35 AM (#192155 - in reply to #192121)

No Martin bashing in my original post, just a little historical joke. The first Ovations were compared to a famous Martin that has been discussed by the son of the original owner of that Martin on this board. There was some feeling that the early Ovations had surpassed that Martin in acoustic sound, and definitely in sturdiness and general ruggedness that was touted by Ovation in the early years of it's manufacture. The fact that a Martin's sound was the target would suggest a respect for that marque from the inception of the innovative round backs.

The price of a modern Martin makes it very hard for anybody but a Lotto winner to feel comfortable in taking it into the venues where most music is played, and they don't have acoustic guitar parlor groups any more where you can play for hoity-toity tea gatherings.

Bailey
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-03-18 2:44 AM (#192156 - in reply to #192121)

Well that explains it. When I was at NAMM I was testing the LX's, the new probably never to be seen again slothead, and the 30th CL. In my little shootout although the CL and the Adamas came out on top for my taste, they were all quite great. My "test" consisted of both open struming and chords in the 1st position and on the 12th fret, and also simple scales on the 1st and 12th frets. WHat I was looking for was when comparing the two positions was volume. The Adamas of course was best at maintaining the same volume all up and down the neck. The LX's and CL were too close to call. I ended up liking the CL a little more because when using a pick (I did all the tests with and without a pick) it seemed a little fuller, almost as full as the Adamas, but without the projection. The LX had the projection, maybe even a little more than the CL, but not quite as full. It was actually a lot less scientific test that it might sound like. I was in the sound booth, there was no one there, the guitars were sitting there... I parked myself for about 45 minutes. From my notes, here was my conclusions.

- Both the Adamas and CL were very full sounding, but the the Adamas was articulate where the CL was warm and smooth.

- The LX was punchy and clean, a little louder than the CL, not as loud as the Adamas not quite as full sounding as the Adamas or the CL.

If I was performing, it would be a tossup between the Adamas and the LX for the projection, with a lean towards the LX because of the neck length (more than 12 frets) eventhough the Adamas is fuller sounding overall. As who knows if they'll actually put the Slothead into production... that choice is simple.
For just playing, maybe when playing with other branded instruments, the CL I think would blend in better. Very warm, smooth and full without overpowering everyone else.
For recording, as the Adamas Slothead isn't available, I would go for the LX. You want a punchy guitar to record especially if other instruments are in the mix.

Just some random thoughts based on 45 minutes of noodling after listening to a combination of the the convention floor noise and riding a motorcycle for 3 days.

-
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-03-18 11:16 AM (#192157 - in reply to #192121)

Miles, nice review. Another reason why this board is so valuable to so many of us.

Woz, take care of her, as I will the one you will be sending to me.

Don't know if others appreciate what Al did concerning the Adamas slothead - he could have sold to highest bidder but kept it in the OFC family.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)