The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
The Red Blanket returns! The VXT

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

an4340
Posted 2008-11-11 9:38 PM (#12606 - in reply to #12581)
Subject: Re: The Red Blanket returns! The VXT

I like it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Joe Rotax
Posted 2008-11-11 10:53 PM (#12607 - in reply to #12581)

Originally posted by Damon67:
Black guitars are kinda tough to shoot.
You got it to flare just right though.

Are you using a large light box with a single head in it or something else ?

I was listening to some sound clips for those guitars and really liked them. If I was going to add another instrument it might be one of those. They are a nice clean design which is what I prefer over the more ornate guitars.
Damon67
Posted 2008-11-11 11:14 PM (#12608 - in reply to #12581)

just bouncin' flash. i don't have such sophisticated equipment. I wish dad wasn't so far away. I'd have a full photography studio at my disposal.

I just have a "prosumer" point and shoot. An old (by today's standard) 5mp Nikon Coolpix 5700. It has a flash shoe on top, so that's why I can bounce flash.

I'll do a video with the VXT in the next couple days.
Joe Rotax
Posted 2008-11-12 1:16 PM (#12609 - in reply to #12581)

Some of those shots wouldn’t look out of place in an advertisement.

In particular, the first four pictures in your first post have the flaring and graduation from light to dark so well placed that it works as part of the composition so I figured you must have been using something like a soft box with a modeling light inside so it would allow you to put the highlights where you wanted them before taking the picture.

Anyway, very nice stuff.

Yeah, you don't need overly sophisticated equipment to get good pictures that's for sure.

Obviously what you're doing works well and I'm not suggesting that you change anything but just on the point equipment being sophisticated - the first light box I had was home built and very unsophisticated. Made it from styrofoam - 4 feet by 4 feet and about 15 inches deep with a Vivitar 283 stuck through the back of it - front was covered with a few layers of tracing paper. Later I made a more complex version which had a modeling light.

Bounce flash off a large surface may actually be better though because it provides a very large flared area whereas a relatively small light box will sometimes appear as a shape in the picture depending on the size of the object being photographed.
cms-man
Posted 2008-11-12 3:53 PM (#12610 - in reply to #12581)

Hey I built that one! Can tell from the serial #. I have a whole book of numbers and when they were built. Glad you like it.
Damon67
Posted 2008-11-12 4:40 PM (#12611 - in reply to #12581)

My father and uncle are both professional photographers and it's pretty funny. Y'all must subscribe to the same do-it-yourself books, cuz they've built a bunch of contraptions themselves too. Funky but functional.
Joe Rotax
Posted 2008-11-12 5:01 PM (#12612 - in reply to #12581)

Yeah, I had an advertising photography studio in Toronto for about 8 years - building things was a big part of it so the studio was very much like a workshop..lol

Didn't have digital back then though - mostly used view cameras or medium format for the smaller stuff.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)