The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
need help with choosing an ovation

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

K-Trey
Posted 2008-11-11 9:41 PM (#12423)
Subject: need help with choosing an ovation

Hey, guys, I'm new here, and I could really use some help. I am looking for a new acoustic-electric guitar, and I really want an Ovation, but the problem is: I don't know which one to choose from. I've been reading reviews, but I want honest opinions (not ones that may be biased on retail websites) from Ovation users.

I have around $400 to spend. I will use the guitar mainly for playing worship at church and playing at home.

I'm considering the Celebrity CC24 (mid-depth), the Celebrity CC28 (super shallow), the Celebrity GC057 (super shallow), the Celebrity CDX24 (mid-depth), the Ultra 2171 (contour gs), and the Ultra 2178 (contour gs).

Of the ones listed above, which would you choose, and why? And also, do you have any other suggestions within my price range?

Sorry about the long post, but I desperately need help in choosing an Ovation. Thanks in advance for your insight.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dobro
Posted 2008-11-11 9:55 PM (#12424 - in reply to #12423)
Subject: Re: need help with choosing an ovation

Welcome, K-Trey. I am not as familiar with the Celebrity line, but my two cents:

For $400 you can find a used Legend or Balladeer that would sound out of this world. My hunch is that you'd be wise to shop a while.

The deeper the bowl, the better the sound. End of story.

If at all possible, go play and hear the "contender" guitars: acoustic? plugged in? Your ears and hand will tell you.

Factors: high end? low end? comfort? neck width? aesthetics? cutaway?

Just take a look on ebay to see what 400 will buy you.
Beal
Posted 2008-11-11 9:59 PM (#12425 - in reply to #12423)

what he said
Joe Rotax
Posted 2008-11-11 10:02 PM (#12426 - in reply to #12423)

These guitars have got to be about the best used deal going.

For $400 I'd look for a used Ovation rather than a new low end version but I'll let the experts on this board tell you the best way to go about getting one.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-11 10:09 PM (#12427 - in reply to #12423)

Welcome...

Of the guitars you have listed I would recommend either of the Ultra's...
Because the have Solid Tops, and Contour Bowls, and I believe that they both have OP-Pro pre-amps.
Epaulets or Center-hole are just personal preference. I'd get the 2178.
The CDX24 has a solid-top, But it is a Celebrity, for the same price or less you can get an Ultra.
Ultra's parts are imported, but they are set-up here, and may have a better warranty (not sure).

You may be able to get a USA Ovation used in your price-range also.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-11-11 10:14 PM (#12428 - in reply to #12423)

What the Dob said......
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-11-11 10:18 PM (#12429 - in reply to #12423)

For $400 you'd be better off getting a better quality second hand Ovation. When your budget starts approaching $1,000 there can be some nice guitars in the "new" category.

Look around on Ebay, or watch the "for sale" section of this site as some people have advertised some very good guitars within your budget.
an4340
Posted 2008-11-11 10:20 PM (#12430 - in reply to #12423)

If you're really going to be plugging in every sunday, then get the super shallow CC57, I had one and it was really gig worthy, sturdy and portable. As you know, the plywood tops don't vibrate as much as a solid wood top, but in an amplied setting it'll work great. As you also may know, the shallow bodies have less air in them so they don't sound as full unplugged.

I haven't played the low end ultras so I can't say. The upper end ultras are pretty good.

The best thing for you to do, is of course, go haunt your local music stores and try out lots of shit.

What do you play now?
K-Trey
Posted 2008-11-11 10:29 PM (#12431 - in reply to #12423)

Wow, thanks for the fast responses. I have some more questions. On other forum posts, I read that contour bodies are more awkward to play with than other bodies. Is that true? Also, how do contour bodies compare with traditional dreadnought bodies? I'd like something that is slimmer than a dreadnought.

an4340: I play an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra and a 12-string Takamine.
G8r
Posted 2008-11-11 10:59 PM (#12432 - in reply to #12423)

Welcome K-Trey. In your price range you can probably find a used USA-made Balladeer or maybe even a Legend. Either of those would exceed the Korean-made Celebrities in tone and volume. If you have to have new, I'd agree with OMA and look at the Ultras.

A lot of people who aren't used to the round backs of the Ovations claim that Ovations roll off their laps. Proper technique takes care of a lot of that supposed roll. The contour bowl is even less prone to roll than the traditional bowl back.

The body size itself is smaller than a dread, and so much more comfortable. Couple that with a shallow bowl and you have a very comfortable guitar that won't give you shoulder fatigue. You will sacrifice acoustic volume and tone with a shallow bowl, tho. That's less important if you mostly play plugged in.

Lots of things to think about. If you're able, try to play as many different ones as you can until you find one that speaks to you. But beware - you can't stop at just one. 3 years ago I had one low-end Ovation I'd had for 15 years. Today I have 4 wood tops (Ovations) and 2 carbon fiber tops (Adamas), all of them among the best guitars to ever come out of Connecticut. Enjoy the ride, I sure do.
Oddball
Posted 2008-11-11 11:37 PM (#12433 - in reply to #12423)

Contour bowl could be said to be an acquired taste. I'm skinny and didn't like it. Someone with a bit of a 'bowl' of their own would probably find it comfortable.

It's worth mentioning the best of both worlds — a mid-bowl, such as the 1778 series, and particularly the 1778T guitars, which might also be aesthetically an acquired taste with their 'industrial non skid' paint. But for the money, there's no better sounding guitar, Ovation or non-Ovation. Might be a bit of a challenge to find one for $400 used, but in these tough times, you never know. Here's one for $500, for example:

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/msg/894954063.html

See www.ovationguitars.com for info on the various models.
Damon67
Posted 2008-11-12 12:17 AM (#12434 - in reply to #12423)

there's a used 1778t on Guitar Center's website for $300. Not sure what the condition is, but it's worth a call for that price.
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-11-12 12:35 AM (#12435 - in reply to #12423)

Contour bodies: I'm not fat (but not skinny either) and I find the contour bowl really good sitting down - it forces the face of the guitar to stay nice and vertical, rather than trying to face the ceiling. With other roundbacks (particularly the deeper bowls), it's just a matter of sitting properly (making sure your chair isn't too high so the guitar doesn't want to slide down your right leg). Or use a strap.

When standing (which is presumably what you'll be doing in church) a lot depends on where the strap button attaches. On some of the older non-cutaways it attaches below the neck, and this holds the face very vertical. The worst I've seen (on the most expensive guitar I've played) was attached to the top of the neck itself (rather than the bowl) and this tilts the face up a long way. When standing with my contour bowl, it stays very vertical, but it feels like there is a lump pushing into the bottom of my rib cage (I soon forget about his once I am playing). Raising the strap slightly might fix that, but I haven't tried as I only notice it when I first stand.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-12 12:37 AM (#12436 - in reply to #12423)

Yeah... I must concur about the trying different guitars out...
And different bowls if you are sure about getting an Ovation.

Some folks don't like any of the bowls... Some of us ain't too accustomed to the Contour Bowls.
I have two of them that I got during the "April Black Sale"
(the Last Chance for USA Elite T sale)
If you are used to a Roundback, the contour bowl takes a bit of getting used to...
But if you are used to a Wood-Box guitar, the contour bowl may be right for you.
If you have a store with an assortment of bowls, try-out your choices.

And when you finally choose one, We Want Pictures. :cool:
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-11-12 12:42 AM (#12437 - in reply to #12423)

MF has an Ultra 2171 with contour bowl for $399 right now. Killer deal on a killer guitar. OP-Pro preamp. Solid top. 5 piece neck. Finished and setup in the US. Lifetime warranty. I love the contour bowl -- it definitely feels slimmer that a tradition deep bowl or even my mid-bowls. If it was my money, I would buy that guitar in sunburst and never look back. But you might like black or natural better. ;)
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-11-12 1:41 AM (#12438 - in reply to #12423)

Originally posted by stonebobbo:
MF has an Ultra 2171 with contour bowl for $399 right now.
Actually $309.75 from MF through Amazon. Even more bargainy!
Damon67
Posted 2008-11-12 2:12 AM (#12439 - in reply to #12423)

that's a freekin deal and a half!
dweezil
Posted 2008-11-12 3:14 AM (#12440 - in reply to #12423)

For $400 you could get a 2003 Collectors!
flackster
Posted 2008-11-12 4:54 AM (#12441 - in reply to #12423)

I might get one of those!!
muzza
Posted 2008-11-12 5:27 AM (#12442 - in reply to #12423)

Flacky = AJ mkII
flackster
Posted 2008-11-12 5:33 AM (#12443 - in reply to #12423)

Aw... c'mon Muzz!! SWMBO just said she would put in some money for me to get another fo Christmas if I promise to get rid a couple of others :D
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-11-12 9:47 AM (#12444 - in reply to #12423)

Originally posted by stonebobbo:
MF has an Ultra 2171 with contour bowl for $399 right now.
Make that $309.75 with free shipping!

The case is $119.99.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2008-11-12 10:00 AM (#12445 - in reply to #12423)

..with all due respect, I'd check with Al first:

Lost Art Vintage- Al Pepiak

...he's about the best dealer around....or is that "he's the best round dealer".... oh well, you know what I mean. :rolleyes:
an4340
Posted 2008-11-12 10:25 AM (#12446 - in reply to #12423)

Given what your playing now, that your second gigging guitar is a tak 12 string, I'd look for a 1778T and try to compare it to one of the ultras. You're on the right track by putting an ovation in your arsonal.
Mitzdawg
Posted 2008-11-12 10:41 AM (#12447 - in reply to #12423)

At a General Motors Press Conference and new car introduction Circa 1983:

GM President Roger Smith was asked by a reporter who mentioned he thought many Americans would find the prices on these GM vehicles too high, "What do you say to people who want a moderately-priced car from GM?" Smith, not being one who was known for thinking on his feet, paused for a moment and told the gathered media, "Well, they can always buy a used Buick."

Sad then; and sad now.

Listen to each guitar when you play it, buy the new one that sounds the best to you and makes you tingle when you look at it. Don't listen to the new "Roger Smiths."
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)