The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
collector's edition 1997

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Mary St. Antoine
Posted 2004-04-17 6:45 PM (#189636)
Subject: collector's edition 1997

I want to purchase an Ovation Collector's Edition 1997 parlor size guitar. It fell off the wall at a local music store and the bridge is broken off. Some small pieces of laminate came off with the bridge but it looks like it is just surficial. The owner is going to repair it but there will be some cosmetic damage. I just fell in love with this guitar and I haven't even heard it. He says it has a big sound for a small guitar. I am a female with small hands so the neck looked ideal. I dreamt about the guitar and then went back the next day and told him that I want it. What do you think it is worth? It has the case with it. Did I mention that I always wanted an Ovation and I have too many guitars now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-04-17 7:00 PM (#189637 - in reply to #189636)
Subject: Re: collector's edition 1997

mary
those guitars are great but I am not a fan of the electronics.
as for prices do a search on e bay
Mary St. Antoine
Posted 2004-04-17 7:07 PM (#189638 - in reply to #189636)

What specifically do you not like about the electronics?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-04-17 8:04 PM (#189639 - in reply to #189636)

The electronics were revolutionary in that they were touch sensitive. But you can't tell by looking at the controls at what level your volume is. And I understand that the volume doesn't move smoothly by the touch.

The solution is to buy the guitar, send it to Ovation for the bridge, and have Ovation put in a straight thru pickup and preamp -- no controls on the body at all. I know people who have had that system put on their guitars and been very happy.
45flint
Posted 2004-04-17 8:34 PM (#189640 - in reply to #189636)

Mary, I bought this guitar used last year and it is just a jewel. You are right about it being the right guitar if you have small hands. Also the body just feels right. Acoustically it is amazing for its size. The right voice for that size guitar. I have heard the issues with the electronics but I think it is overblown. When you plug in, the guitar always goes to the midpoint in volume. You have I think three touch sensors on either side of this to move volume up or down. I have had no noise issue in changing volume and the steps seem very even. I have played it out and I seem to be able to adjust without issues. It is nice in a parlor which is "retro" not to see the electronics hanging there: it is not perfect, but it fits the guitar. I certainly would not pay to change it.
These guitars used are in the $500-600 range in excellent condition. They do come up on ebay. My predudice is that I would not go for that guitar unless I got a great deal. I would look on ebay for one that has no issues. Good luck. If you get a 1997 you will not regret it.
Steve
bauerhillboy
Posted 2004-04-17 9:58 PM (#189641 - in reply to #189636)

Hi Mary...I just purchased one of these on ebay last week! It's a beautiful looking guitar, sounds so sweet. Mine is a factory refurb.(had an end pin problem, Ovation fixed it, now it has a little sticker in the bowl above the label saying so). I paid $441 + $45 shipping. If you can get the guitar UNREPAIRED for a price you like, I would have Ovation fix it at the factory. You have to take shipping charges into acct., but no one will do the kind of job that they will. Hope you get it. They do come along now and then, but they usually get scarffed up quickly.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)