The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Guitar strap for the aging

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

bauerhillboy
Posted 2004-04-20 10:18 AM (#189506)
Subject: Guitar strap for the aging

I play a Custom Legend 12 string, and lately I've been noticing how much my neck and shoulders hurt after a while. This is a HEAVY guitar (no LX). I use Levy's M8C straps. They're a 2" natural fabric w/leather ends. I'm thinking I need something entirely different. I've seen straps that go over both shoulders in ads in the past. Anybody got any suggestions?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cliff
Posted 2004-04-20 10:36 AM (#189507 - in reply to #189506)
Subject: Re: Guitar strap for the aging

I don't remember which model number they are, but a while ago I invested in a matched pair of Levy's wide all-leather straps that have some soft leather padding on the underside.

WELL worth the investment!! (as were the StrapLocks).
I'm usually standing and/or sitting (w/strap) for 4-5 hours a night on weekends, and it's MUCH more comfortable than the old narrower fabric straps.

my $0.02 :-)
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-04-20 11:07 AM (#189508 - in reply to #189506)

The problem with the double-shoulder straps is that they usually have an accordion attached to them, which is very difficult to remove. :D

Actually, I'm curious here, too. I have had my left hand "fall asleep" while playing from time to time.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-04-20 11:13 AM (#189509 - in reply to #189506)

I use Levy's MSS80 2" leather strap which has nice padding - mostly the burgandy 1" strip over the 2" black. They also have a maple over the black that I use for the natural finish. Very comfortable.
Beal
Posted 2004-04-20 12:41 PM (#189510 - in reply to #189506)

Actually Callaway has a very good double strap design, very similar to the one Ping uses too. I find I use these when up north, never down south since all of the courses down there make you take carts and you just put your bag on that.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-04-20 12:43 PM (#189511 - in reply to #189506)

Golf Humor..ar ar...
Gotta love it! :D
Strummin12
Posted 2004-04-20 1:07 PM (#189512 - in reply to #189506)

I use levy's thin leather straps and I love 'em. Though I don't know the model number off the top of my head, they sound similar to the ones Tony's using, but I know they are 1.5" wide, not 2". Despite the narrow width, they are very comfortable with my CL12. Definitely worth the investment for me, over the standard nylon cloth ones I used to use.

I found suede ones were not for me, even though they looked gorgeous. The material clung to my shirts, creating too much drag as I moved around or changed the position of my guitar. The back of my shirt would pull forward and bunch the collar up by the end of song, and I had to reposition it each time. Pain in the ass. Might be great for someone who doesn't move much when they play, and likes the guitar to stay in a fixed position.

Consider observing your posture as you play standing, it might be an unnoticed cause of your pain. Perhaps you are slouching for some reason, more than usual, playing the 12string, in order to look at the fretboard. That can do a number on the neck and shoulders after and extended time.

Just a thought.
-J
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-04-20 1:47 PM (#189513 - in reply to #189506)

My Favorite strap, for which I have been trying to find an OEM so I can get some made up for the OFC are from Carvin. They are nylon, padded and well I have had the last one now for about 15 years.

If anyone has seen a strap like this WITHTOUT the logo, let me know.

Carvin Guitar Strap
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)