The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Acoustic Guitar internal Effects?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Northcountry
Posted 2004-04-20 6:52 PM (#189481)
Subject: Acoustic Guitar internal Effects?

Got a question if I may? Acoustic Guitar effects are very wide ranging. So many ways to go here, I am wondering if any one on the list has ever messed around with putting a chorus unit and/or flanger/reverb etc. etc. inside the body of the guitar? I have seen other solid bodied guitars that were made with very small units built-in and I have seen pickups for sale with chorus built-in? I think if mounted correctly the tonal quality loss would be minimal? To be honest I do not need the built-in EQ I have been setting them flat and using the effects to tweak the sound? and the battery compartment on the outside is nice but not often used as well? Figure I can run controls to these areas and not destroy the body of the guitar making holes in it. This I would never do on such nice guitars? I know whats the point? Well seems I am using some effcts all the time when plugged in so perhaps this will make my life easier? Besides I think it may make good discussion? and I am curious to find out if there are units like this available for Acoustic, electric and bass guitars as well?
Randy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-04-20 7:36 PM (#189482 - in reply to #189481)
Subject: Re: Acoustic Guitar internal Effects?

Takamine did a digital preamp a while ago with programable EQ, feedback control & digital reverb. Shadow do something called I think a "megatech" preamp which has a whole bunch of effects, including the usual time/modulation stuff, they also do a less sophisticated version with chorus only, & I'm pretty sure I've seen others. On-board effects have been tried numerous times over the years on solid guitars and have always bombed. Personally I think it's a waste of effort & money.
BruDeV
Posted 2004-04-20 8:26 PM (#189483 - in reply to #189481)

Another thing to think about is upgrading. It's a lot easier and cheaper to do it externally.
45flint
Posted 2004-04-20 8:42 PM (#189484 - in reply to #189481)

It seems to me that it is easier to manage the effects on the outside and as was said it is more easily upgradable. I think that all the stuff they are craming in the preamps now is a waste and better of in a effects box outside. The example of the equalizer is a good one. I tend to keep it in one spot and I have much more control of the equalization on the outside anyway. To use the 97 Collectors as an example. (I don't want to debate the touch sensors) This guitar was equalized at the factory and the only control is the volume. I have not missed any of the other stuff on the later model preamps. I have so much control on a half rack precessor I use or just the amp itself. The fact is these guitars are so good electronically any more, I don't really do that much tweeking except for a little chorus or reverb.
Steve
Woz
Posted 2004-04-21 8:11 AM (#189485 - in reply to #189481)

Doesn't the "new" toy built for Al D. have "sounds" built into the guitar. I know it's not an off the shelf ADMII.
Woz
Mitchrx
Posted 2004-04-21 10:11 AM (#189486 - in reply to #189481)

I saw Al DiMeola about a year ago and he was playing his signature 1769. Any effects appeared to be external. In particular, he had a pedal (compressor?) that when it was pushed down completely, made the guitar sound totally electric like a Les Paul with heavy singing sustain.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)