The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
questions about ovation (lx)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

jdemic
Posted 2004-04-25 12:35 AM (#189216)
Subject: questions about ovation (lx)

hey guys,
Ive been playing guitar for about a year a now, using an old Yamaha my dad lent me. Ive been looking around for a guitar to buy, and the lx is looking really good-the elite or standard elite. I have a few questions for you all:

-im planning on owning this guitar for a long time, and a friend said an all wood guitar would be nicer b.c of how the tone and sound would improve as it aged. thoughts?

-i practice with lauryn hill, marley, motown and (easy) stevie wonder songs. ovation seems like a nice versatile guitar, as i wanna take lessons for blues and who knows what else...

-opinions on the differences b.w the elite and standard elite lx models?

-how much are the guitars "at cost?" i may have a hookup...

any feedback is much appreciated, thanks guys (and ladies)

john
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-04-25 1:22 AM (#189217 - in reply to #189216)
Subject: Re: questions about ovation (lx)

Greetings John And Welcome Aboard.
Any Usa made Ovation with a Solid Top will sound better after Playing it for years. It will age Nicely. The LX Models are great. the LX Models have slight differences. The Standard Elite LX as well as The Standard Baladeer LX Have A Grade Solid Spruce Tops, Orignal Patented Pickup and OP-Pro Preamp plu Chrome Hardware. The Legend LX and The Elite LX have AA Grade Solid Spruce Tops
the same pick-up and pre-amp but has Gold Hardware. The best way to make up your mind about what you prefer is to play the models if you have an Ovation Dealer close by. That way you'll come away with one that has the feel and tone that you prefer. Ovations are great Guitars. You'll enjoy owning one i'm Sure. as far a Street Price. Best to ask you dealer,..or check the Internet.
Musicians Friend, Music 123, World Music Supply, and just compare the prices. See if your Connection can do better.
I'm Sure you'll be recieving alot of welcomes and idead from other OFC Members as well.. so watch the board . Hopefully I've given some helpful advice, but I'm sure there's more to come.
Again, Welcome Aboard.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-04-25 7:39 AM (#189218 - in reply to #189216)

Hello John,
Welcome aboard.
You will hear many opinions about guitar sound here. That is a very subjective and personal choice. Just a change of strings can alter a guitar's voice dramaticly.
You have stated that you want a guitar that will be yours for a "long time". To that issue, I can provide cold hard facts.
I purchased my Balladeer over 32 years ago. I have taken it camping and anywhere else I have wanted to. While I was growing a family it sat in it's case, concert tuned, for years. (NOT reccommended) I have never used a humidifier. Just common sense is all the caution I have needed.
Yes, the sound of my guitar has changed over time. It takes years to notice it, but it will. If you hang around this board for a while you will learn alot. I know I have. I learned that the sound a guitar has is all about the vibration of the top. The Ovation "bowl" design reflects vibration to the top better than any wood box can.
Like the real world, nothing is perfect. It has taken 32 years but I have run out of saddle adjustment at the bridge. So, maybe in a few months I will ship it back to the factory for the neck to be reset. Because of my lifetime warranty, this will be done at no charge. But even if it cost $150, it's worth every penny.
Now, after all these years I am looking for a second guitar. Mine was made before they came out with the built-in pickups. I have waited for the LX to come out because I beleive that the changes made will give it even more durability as well as an improved sound. I don't expect it to sound *better* or *worse* than my old Balladeer. I just expect it to sound different.
So, there are my facts mixed in with some opinion.
If you got a minute, go to the Fan CLub photo gallery and take a look at what an "aged" Ovation looks like. Look in "Slipkid's Guitars".
Let us in on your thoughts.
Brad
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-25 9:19 AM (#189219 - in reply to #189216)

What you really ought to do is go down to the local stores and play everthing, even things that you dont think you'd like. Play 'em all. Try 'em.

Find something you like, then ask your "hookup" to get you one.

As to your other questions - don't be totally taken by the "LX upgrade". New bracing = improved acoustic tone, new jeck joint and truss rod = less problems down the road for Ovation (warranty work) .and. of course, the owner of the guitar. I'd really not give it a second thought if the guitar that YOU like is not an LX. Get what you like. Get what works for you.

Having said that - when they come out with a Custom Legend LX, AlPep's getting an order from me!!
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-04-25 8:20 PM (#189220 - in reply to #189216)

Well, start saving for the Custom Legend. Got a few months, maybe a year, but it is coming.

Problem with going in to play the guitars is finding them (see previous posts.) Was in the San Diego/La Mesa GC yesterday - probably 20 Celebs and one lone Std. Balladeer LX. That was it. No other O's or Adamas.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-25 9:26 PM (#189221 - in reply to #189216)

Start saving he says.... YOU BET its already started!
bauerhillboy
Posted 2004-04-26 7:44 AM (#189222 - in reply to #189216)

" After 32 yrs....neck reset...under warranty"

Don't bet on it, because the warranty covers "factory defects". Doesn't sound like a defect...just age; however, those guys at the factory will send the guitar back in a lot nicer condition than you'd expect! Always worth much more than they charge. John <>{
Slipkid
Posted 2004-04-26 6:39 PM (#189223 - in reply to #189216)

Your probably right.
I will have no problem with the fee.
>>>>>>>>>
Phone call to the Mothership.....$1.82
Shipping both ways..............$60.00
Reset neck, dress frets........$150.00(?)
Getting a factory fresh, 32 year old Ovation....
PRICELESS!!!!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Brad
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)