The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Which amp for a uk2?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Louie
Posted 2004-04-26 7:48 PM (#189105)
Subject: Which amp for a uk2?

I absolutely love my uk2 and cant think of ever needing any other guitar. I have been thinking of buying an amp that complements the sound of the uk2 and is loud enough for small gigs.

I currently have a small fender bullet practice amp and a fender deluxe 90. I am looking for something that is all tube and doesnt just sound like a wall of noise. An amp with a nice rounded out low end that doesnt sound empty and hollow like most solid state amps.

I have considered marshalls, but i sorta find them to be too high pitched, although I havent tried one with a uk2. I have also considered mesa/boogie, namely the nomad series. I really don't know which amp would be the best. I don't have enough experience and the amp selection in fairbanks, alaska doesnt leave much room for testing amps out in stores. There are many amps I wouldn't even think of considering because my background with amps isnt very broad.

I am looking to spend around 1000 for the head, but could probably spend a little more, up to 1500. I would also like to know about cabinets, but the amp is most important. I tend to like to research quite a bit before I make large purchases. I read up a lot on all kinds of guitars before I decided on the uk2.

So what suggestions do you guys have on amps? What sort of amps do you guys with uk2s use?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2004-04-27 7:43 AM (#189106 - in reply to #189105)
Subject: Re: Which amp for a uk2?

well you don't like Marshall so how about Fender?
Or hughes and kettner,
mesa boogie.
soldano
carvin

all make some nice stuff
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-04-27 11:11 AM (#189107 - in reply to #189105)

Carvin has some rugged, good priced, great sounding work horses. I have an anniversary stack, which is a bit more than you have mentioned interest but I have used a lot of Carvin gear over the years.

My current favorite amp however is a Velocette twin. They don't make them anymore I guess, but if you can find one, you won't regret it.

If you like playing with the guitar "wide open" you may not like what happens with most fenders and a UKII. Those rails are hot, very hot, if the distortion don't get'ya, the noise will.
stephent28
Posted 2004-04-28 5:49 PM (#189108 - in reply to #189105)

Louie,
For the money you are talking about, you can't do any better than a THD BiValve or Flex50. If you don't fall in love with the sound of the original tubes, just switch them out for some different sounds.

I believe that the THD line has won just about every award from every guitar mag in both the US and the UK.
BruDeV
Posted 2004-05-07 1:42 AM (#189109 - in reply to #189105)

I got to thinking about this (ALWAYS a bad sign) and my suggestion is to try a bass amp; such as a Fender Bassman '59 or a Traynor YBA series. Both would give you a deeper sound. Another option is to use a guitar amp with a larger speaker such as a 15 inch. The lower resonant frequency of the speaker tends to increase the bass projection.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)