The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
OT; mic for acoustic

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Beal
Posted 2008-11-14 9:23 AM (#12131 - in reply to #12106)
Subject: Re: OT; mic for acoustic

SO it looks like AKG 414 is first choice, AT3031 is second and NT3 is third. I get that right?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
G8r
Posted 2008-11-14 9:23 AM (#12132 - in reply to #12106)

I have an MXL 990 like Damon, but I find it's better suited to vocals. For the guitar I use a matched pair of Behringer C2's.
stephent28
Posted 2008-11-14 10:10 AM (#12133 - in reply to #12106)

Beal, the only problem with the AKG 414s is that most agree the new ones aren't nearly as good as the older versions.

I'm betting all of Temps are old and the desirable versions. The problem if I understand it correctly is that it is really hard to tell the difference just by looking at them.

Maybe I am full of it and Temp will set me straight but I have heard this repeatedly over the last 4-5 years.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-11-14 10:56 AM (#12134 - in reply to #12106)

The 414 is a great studio mike but it's overkill for acoustic guitar in a live situation. I have several versions, including a couple of early ones and some brand new. The older ones sound different to the new ones, but different doesn't mean better or worse, just different. "They don't make 'em like they used to" gets heard about everything, and the inference that older means better is not neccesarily the case.

Bill, either the AT3031 or Rode NT3 will be fine, my choice would be the NT3, but check your email first.
stephent28
Posted 2008-11-14 11:12 AM (#12135 - in reply to #12106)

Thanks for clearing that up Paul.
I have never owned any 414s so that's why I deferred my comments to you.

I know I am way out of the majority but I still like a ribbon mic for recording acoustics. Gives such a nice warm vibe.
alpep
Posted 2008-11-14 11:44 AM (#12136 - in reply to #12106)

ribbon mics make EVERYTHING sound better

I prefer neumamn condensors.

I have an akg 414 notice that there are several versions of this one now.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-11-14 12:12 PM (#12137 - in reply to #12106)

Yep, if you can afford them Ribbons are the way to go for some studio applications, especially acoustic instruments and vocals. Wouldn't use a ribbon mike live though and the vintage ones are way too fragile for anything loud.

There are some cheap ribbon mikes around now of Chinese origin and the ones I've heard were pretty nasty.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2008-11-14 12:49 PM (#12138 - in reply to #12106)

How would you mike a guitar with double epaulets(no center sound hole)?
wilblee
Posted 2008-11-14 1:00 PM (#12139 - in reply to #12106)

I recently bought some ribbons from a company called Cascade. I got the Fathead II's. Made in the U.S., you get two matched mics, shockmounts and a Blumlein bar for under 4 bills. I'll let you know how they sound soon.

As for mic'ing double epaulets, I use two Rode NT5's with a double mic stand adapter and point each of the mics at one of the epaulets. Sounds pretty dang bueno. Haven't done that live, though, since all my guitars that have d.e.'s also have a preamp. ;)
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-11-14 1:11 PM (#12140 - in reply to #12106)

Originally posted by CrimsonLake:
How would you mike a guitar with double epaulets(no center sound hole)?
Doesn't matter where the soundholes are, the trick is to keep the mikes away from the soundholes or all you'll get is a big nasty woofy bass. That said, this is less of a problem with multi-hole guitars than with centre holes

Soundholes are just a port to tune the fundamental frequency of the soundbox, so if you mic the hole, that's what you'll hear. And, the proximity effect of a cardioid pattern mic will just exagerate that further.

The biggest mistake in recording acoustic guitar is placing the mics too close to the instument. Have somebody play a guitar with the soundhole of a guitar a couple of inches from your ear. Do you like that sound? Didn't think so. Get some good mic preamps and get a bit of distance into the sound.

On stage it's a different ball game, you need to get in close for volume and isolation. I try to place the mike between the bridge and soundhole angled towards the end of the fingerboard, or at the neck joint angled towards the end of the fingerboard to avoid bass woof from the hole. And if the mic has bass roll-off switches I use them, if not I hit the HPF on the channel strip.
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-11-14 4:54 PM (#12141 - in reply to #12106)

I've had "good" results using a pair of mics, one about 2 feet from the guitar at my eye level pointed slightloy downward. The other around 1 foot from the guitar pointed at the fretboard around the 14th fret.

Temp is the best source of sound advice. Us that as a start and be prepared for a lot of trial and error.

Toby
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-11-14 5:05 PM (#12142 - in reply to #12106)

Exactly. That's what I mean by getting some distance in there. Let the tone of the thing breathe a little. The real sound of a guitar develops several feet away from it, so placing microphones within inches of the soundboard is not giving a true picture.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-11-14 5:13 PM (#12143 - in reply to #12106)

Originally posted by wilblee:
Made in the U.S., you get two matched mics, shockmounts and a Blumlein bar
I'm intrigued by this. The Blumlein array goes back to the 1930's and is a very elegant and sophisticated stereo technique that uses a crossed pair of bi-directional microphones. Other than live orchestral or acoustic ensemble recording recording it has little use in modern studio techniques. I wonder why they've chosen to include that. It's such an esoteric technique I'd be surprised if anyone but experienced (by that I mean OLD) pro recording engineers were even aware of it.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-11-14 5:20 PM (#12144 - in reply to #12106)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:

Temp is the best source of sound advice.
Toby
To clarify, thats "Advice about sound" My advice on ANY other subject is far from sound.
stephent28
Posted 2008-11-14 11:07 PM (#12145 - in reply to #12106)

AEA makes some pretty nice and affordable ribbons.

I have a R84 and am very pleased with the sound.

I also have a Peluso Ribbon but I haven't found the time to play around with it enough to know if I like it a lot or not.

For stereo condensers, I use a matched set of Oktavas with the interchangeable head capsules.
FlicKreno aka Solid Top
Posted 2008-11-15 2:17 AM (#12146 - in reply to #12106)

When it comes to RIBBONS , make sure it has :

A ) transformer

or..

B ) An amp. circuit ( preferable incorporating a valve ) to adapt to higher impedance.

A ribbon mic. has a low output of some milli -volts. and low impedance 0,02 ohm , inductance/ nano henry..

Therefore needs correction..

..I do n`t even know what I`m doin` here , perhaps IFFY can ( I`m SURE ) explain it better..

Vic

..bunch of amateurs...!! :mad:

On second note , where is Mr. Ovation ?? , He would know..( allthough ALPEP did point the way !! )
alpep
Posted 2008-11-15 7:20 AM (#12147 - in reply to #12106)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:
Originally posted by wilblee:
Made in the U.S., you get two matched mics, shockmounts and a Blumlein bar
I'm intrigued by this. The Blumlein array goes back to the 1930's and is a very elegant and sophisticated stereo technique that uses a crossed pair of bi-directional microphones. Other than live orchestral or acoustic ensemble recording recording it has little use in modern studio techniques. I wonder why they've chosen to include that. It's such an esoteric technique I'd be surprised if anyone but experienced (by that I mean OLD) pro recording engineers were even aware of it.
I have used this on several occasions to record a live band and was very happy with the results.

studio no but live it works fine
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-11-15 7:58 AM (#12148 - in reply to #12106)

See, it's just us old guys who know this stuff. The Blumlein array was one of the techniques, along with Mid/Side that was part of the sound engineering & music production degree program I taught a few years ago. It's a really cool way to make live recordings.
FlySig
Posted 2008-11-15 10:47 AM (#12149 - in reply to #12106)

This site has some good info on recording acoustic guitars and using different techniques, including Blumlein Array and mid-side. Click on the home page link to get their detailed discussions on different mics.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)