The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
ovation selection advice for an 'acoustic novice'

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

strat4tele
Posted 2004-05-17 11:01 AM (#187554)
Subject: ovation selection advice for an 'acoustic novice'

Hi everyone...

It's my first post here...so please forgive me if I'm posting a question that is redundant.

I'm mostly an electric player....but I recently scored a happy hour acoustic gig with my band's singer....Our first gig was this past friday, and it became *very* clear that I'm going to need a better guitar than what I'm playing with.

I currently own a Fender F-210 with a cheap aftermarket Undersaddle pickup and eq preamp routed into the upper horn. Surprisingly, the pickup sounds great...It's the guitar that's the problem. The action is horrible, it doesn't stay in tune very well and there are some definite high and low spots on the fretboard...leading to uneven sound and fretting out.

Anyway, I'm starting the search for a new acoustic that I will use at these gigs. I don't want to spend alot of cash, but at the same time..I want something that will hold up over a few years.

The reason I am considering Ovation, is that I used to have a celebrity 12 string that was a fairly servicable acoustic for me for the better part of 12 years. One thing that I simply can NOT stand with my fender, is the pegream bridge design (not unlike 99% of the other acoustics out there). The ovation bridge, in my opinion, is a huge plus...because there's not a peg to slip, bind or break, whenever you change your strings. My other reason for considering the ovation, is the flat out strength and durability of the guitars. I've seen more than my fair share of full body acoustics get destroyed or seriously injured because of a drunk bar patron stumbling near the guitar while on a stand or being played.

I am also considering a takamine EG530SC in this search, mainly because it plays very much like an electric (low action, easy bends). However, getting back to my reason why not to get a full body acoustic...It might not be a good idea.

I'm essentially looking for a balladeer type guitar in the price range of 400-800. I need something that plays well, good for soloing as well as chord strumming and fingerpicking...I would prefer to not have a V neck, since I'm more comfortable with a C or U style neck (I know some ovations come with a V neck). However, then again, If I find a real jem of a guitar, I will just get used to the neck.

Anyway, I was hoping that you guys could offer some suggestions, advice and help with this search.

Thanks for any help or advice you guys can offer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-17 11:18 AM (#187555 - in reply to #187554)
Subject: Re: ovation selection advice for an 'acoustic novice'

Take a look at the mid depth bowl Elite T. There are several on ebay right now. Acoustically, with new strings they are much much better than you would think they are by looking at them. Plugged in, and with most USA built O's, they are the best. The cost is about $700-$800. Well worth the money.

Spend a couple of hundred more and get an LX series guitar. Wonderful instruments.
Woz
Posted 2004-05-17 11:40 AM (#187556 - in reply to #187554)

Buy a USA Ovation...

If $400.00 is closer to the "truth" and $800.00 is a dream. You need to get a pair of dark sun glasses and join the e-bay search.

With $400.00 to $600.00 you can find some nice guitars. Plan on a "set up" $50.00 when you get it. Build that into the price.
The 94 Collectors that sold for $620.00 not long ago would have been perfect. A 2001 Collectors sold below market value recently (I bought it)
Get a solid top. Get the Optima pre amp. A mid bowl, cut away... Ask lots of questions from the seller.

That's my 2 cents.
Woz

I see a 95 Collectors on e-bay that is a "Wow"!
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-17 11:48 AM (#187557 - in reply to #187554)

I second what Paul said and welcome. One of the difficulties is hearing opinions but not being able to get your hands on one for a test drive.

If I hear you right - Elite T, Balladeer, Legend or Elite LX, if new. Celebrities are rugged and affordable but push a little higher/harder and you'll appreciate it.

Ebay is not for the timid or "need-it-to-work-out-or I'm-screwed" crowd, self included.

And we delite in those that share their pics and stories!
John B
Posted 2004-05-17 12:17 PM (#187558 - in reply to #187554)

If you are used to playing an electric, a standard baladeer might be a good choice. It has a super shallow bowl which might be better for you if you are used to the feel of an electric guitar. It's also the most affordable of the USA made Ovations. You can get them new for $700.00 or less. If you can go up to $800.00, you can upgrade to the baladeer LX. I won't go in to the attributes of the LX models because they have been well discussed in this group and you will find lots of info in many of the threads.

Good luck.
strat4tele
Posted 2004-05-17 12:59 PM (#187559 - in reply to #187554)

What are the advantages of the LX series?

THe balladeer LX is within a possible budget for me....What kind of advantages does it offer, over the regular balladeer?

-F
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-17 1:09 PM (#187560 - in reply to #187554)

Lighter weight. Better preamp. And IMHO, the most important factor, better sound.

Do a search thru the archives here regarding the LX. You'll learn a lot.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-17 1:30 PM (#187561 - in reply to #187554)

Welcome to the board. like others have said.. you can search thru ebay or you can buy the Standard BalladeerLX. This guitar I played at the factory tour and the sound unplugged Blew me away!! Plugged in, Just like Ovations are known for..It just Rocks!! You'll love it!
strat4tele
Posted 2004-05-17 1:42 PM (#187562 - in reply to #187554)

Hi guys...

One thing I want to add...I'm definitely purchasing this guitar new. I've had enough bad or semi-bad experiences with ebay to last a lifetime....

I want something new with whatever waranty protection comes from ovation.

Also, do you guys know what neck profiles the ovation USA models come with?

Thanks,
Frank
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-17 1:44 PM (#187563 - in reply to #187554)

Boy, neck profiles is a tough one. You might contact customer support at Ovation and ask them.
cliff
Posted 2004-05-17 2:03 PM (#187564 - in reply to #187554)

From what you've been saying, I get the idea that you're predominantly an electric player looking for something for acoustic gigs.

As good as the unplugged "sound" of the LX is, you might be better off trying an EliteT. IMO, the feel of the neck seems a little closer to that of an electric (or of an older style Ovation neck). I also prefer a thinner V-neck, and to me the Elite fits the bill a little better than the LX.

Best bet . . . . . go out and road test 'em both in a store before committing.
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-17 2:08 PM (#187565 - in reply to #187554)

I think it was adamas72, the neckmeister, that said the shape of the Elite T and new ANS necks on the LX's were the same shape - less of a V and more of a rounded profile.

Find the largest nearest Ovation Dealer around and try to test drive. I suggest visiting the OFC Store for a T-shirt or ball cap to wear when you go there.

You may never find a direct comp between an acoustic and solidbody neck but I'd bet Ovation comes the closest.
strat4tele
Posted 2004-05-17 2:13 PM (#187566 - in reply to #187554)

Thanks guys...

the standard elite LX with the New England Sunburst looks great (from the pictures I've seen so far)....

My head's still swimming...I don't know the difference between the standard elite, the balladeer, etc, etc...

I have to keep reading the website.

-frank
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-17 2:32 PM (#187567 - in reply to #187554)

Reading the site archives is a very good thing. A quick note on the diff between standard elite and elite is the look of the top, ebony bridge and fretboard, gold trimmings and a little more $$.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-17 2:49 PM (#187568 - in reply to #187554)

This quick rundown may help:

Standard Elite LX and Standard Balladeer LX
A Grade Spuce Top-Chrome Hardware-Rosewood fretboard and Bridge. The Elite Models are the Multi-Soudhole Models and The Balladeer is the Center Soundhole Model.
The Legend LX and The Elite LX--
AA Grade Spruce Top-Gold Hardware-Ebony fretboard and bridge.
All LX models feature the Original Patented Pick-up and the OP-Pro Pre-amp.
Difference between models is Materials used. and the LegendLX and Elite LX run a little more $$ than the Standard models.
If You have a dealer nearby and want to test one out.. give it a shot..
I really believe you'll be pleased with the LX models.
Hope this helps.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-05-17 6:41 PM (#187569 - in reply to #187554)

The Legend LX is an incredible guitar. Please play one of these before you make you choice on what guitar to get.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-05-17 7:37 PM (#187570 - in reply to #187554)

Play all you can, listen to the tone, get the feel of the neck, dont mind the action if its set a bit high (this is easily fixable). Dont look at the price tags. Trust your ears. Trust your hands. Only then look at the price tags.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-05-17 8:48 PM (#187571 - in reply to #187554)

So many variables to consider... But, as always, I do have opinions.

First, there are some very reputable sellers of used Ovations on eBay and not all guitars come needing a setup. Just about every Ovation I sell (and I have sold a couple hundred on eBay) is personally set up by me to factory spec or better before I pack and ship it unless I specify otherwise or am requested not to.

Second, buying used from a reputable seller saves a lot of money. While I fully respect new product and dealers and warranties, it is also a fact that as soon as the guitar is carried out the door it is probably worth hundreds less than the new price. I like being able to get back close to what I pay for guitars, so I very rarely buy new. I have been burned many times, but the risk has overall been worth it.

As to the neck, I am with Cliff. I really like the older USA soft V profile a lot. The LX series has a nice enough neck profile, but it is more like a Tayl*r than the Ovations I know and love and play on stage. That is not a criticism, but a simple observation and it is reflects the truth that not all Ovations have the same neck or neck feel.

Bottom line: there is an Ovation that is perfect for your gig that you will fall in love with, I believe. You just have to find out which one it is. (Having gotten married again last year, I can say I sure don't miss dating!!!) :D
strat4tele
Posted 2004-05-17 8:52 PM (#187572 - in reply to #187554)

Hey folks,

well I went to Guitar Center and Sam Ash this evening and played EVERY Ovation on the walls of both stores....from the Celebrity stuff right on up to the Al DeMeola model.

When I tested these guitars out, I ony tested them for acoustic basis...I didnt plug any of them in.

I came away with a few observations....

1) Some of the celebrity stuff isn't half bad. Some was really bad. I played a CS257 that sounded like it had a blanket over it. Another one sounded almost as good as the USA stuff.

2) No matter what the make, the slim body stuff sounds very thin and boxy to me.

3) The Two LX's I played...one was a balladeer and another one was a Legend. I liked the balladeer more so, probably because I dont like the finished neck on the legend.

4) The LX's sounded GREAT!!! Very full, very toneful....

5) Some of the (non LX) balladeers sounded just as good as the LX...some didnt...but I was surprised to note that one in particular sounded just as good, if not better.

Anyway....I'm really going to have to continue playing these things. The two stores I went to, didn't have enough guitars in the LX and regular balladeer models for me to make a good judgement on them...

I'll have to drive out further on the island and see if the other stores have them.

-frank
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-17 10:08 PM (#187573 - in reply to #187554)

Frank, one other thought. Take somebody with you who plays and have that person play the O's while you sit across from them. Sometimes the guitars will sound different depending on which side of the guitar you're on. I've got an old 1537 Elite which I love to play for the sound, feel, and look. But when I listen to somebody else play it, it just jumps out at me in a way that it doesn't when I play.

Of course that could be just a reflection on my playing ability.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-17 10:13 PM (#187574 - in reply to #187554)

Frank,
I just played the upgraded (AA top) Elite LX a few hours ago. Very, very nice. I could hear a differece in grade of tops. Get the AA. As I picked I rested my baby finger on the top. It's got some jump. $1040 at Guitar Center but I am sure can you do better pricewise.
Brad
CharlieB
Posted 2004-05-17 10:25 PM (#187575 - in reply to #187554)

BTW, nice "handle"
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-05-17 10:43 PM (#187576 - in reply to #187554)

Frank, I was going to email this to you but your email isn't listed. Good advice to try and play before you buy. Sometimes not easy to do. I would seriously recommend checking with Al (click on Lost Art/Vintage Instruments to the right of your screen.) I have bought two 30th Anniv Custom Legends and two 1777-LX Legends from him since Jan '04. In each case, I have paid less than what I have seen in store or internet. You might find that you get more guitar for the $'s.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)