The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Double Neck CSD225

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Terr0r
Posted 2004-05-18 8:24 AM (#187458)
Subject: Double Neck CSD225

This is my first posting and have to say that I've already learnt alot just randomly selecting topics. I've been a fan of Ovations since hearing Paul McCartney and Wings using them at Wembley back in '76 and managed to pusuade my wife to let me have one about 10 years later! (Pinnicle - Japan circa 86-87 I think - can't remember so long ago). However, I first caught a glimpse of the double neck when on holiday in the States and have been waiting for them to arrive in the UK ever since. Since then I've been blowing hot and cold about whether to get one. I've managed to get a brief strum in a poor shop where the guitar was handed to me out of tune and dirty (and it was about £1200). Still I'm blowing hot at the moment. What opinions do you all have out there on this guitar? Is it robust? Is it good value?On line price in Uk with a gigbag (too expensive to ship the hard case!)is about £8-900. I play mostly rhythm in a roots rock band plus solo folk clubs sets. Also play mandolin and the celebrity mandolin is also on my very large shopping list.

Look forward to your responses.

Cheers :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-05-18 8:44 AM (#187459 - in reply to #187458)
Subject: Re: Double Neck CSD225

Terr0r: Welcome aboard! I don't have a double-neck, but I'm not a fan of the Korean models.
cliff
Posted 2004-05-18 9:48 AM (#187460 - in reply to #187458)

Our own Paul Templeman here on the Board is now a UK Ovation distributor. I'd recommend checking w/him on pricing/availability.

btw: Welcome!!!
45flint
Posted 2004-05-18 10:37 PM (#187461 - in reply to #187458)

I just bought a doubleneck on ebay csd-215. The same guitar but with a flame top. Most of the guys here don't like the Korean models which I can appreciate but the reality is that an American Doubleneck is not an affordable reality. I have been playing the doubleneck for about two weeks now and I can tell everyone that I am 50 years old and it was been the biggest kick since buying my first Ovation. First, a doubleneck is just plain fun and adds a lot of possibilities. I am currently working on a song where I start out on the six and then switch to the 12 as the emotion builds. The switching of necks just adds a dimention that you get in no other way. It is an immediate head turner too. As far as the Ovation model it is decent and workable. You will probably have to get the neck professionally done to make the fingering equivalent to an American Ovation, I did. The overall workmanship is pretty good. Neck and fingerboard really are well done. The bowl and electronics are the same as any ovation. Overall finish is really top flight. You are buying a laminated top you have to accept that reality. Acoustically it sounds ok because of the large airspace of the doubleneck. Electronically it is really very good and good balance between the necks. (I think it is really meant to be played through an amp) I have been looking for a acoustic doubleneck for a while. The only other ones commercially made are a 1980's Yairi with no electronics ($1000 used it you can find one in good shape) and a Washburn with electronicas that is now out of production. (about the same price) I think the Ovation is the best of the lot. Your price over there seems high. Used on ebay you should be at under $1000. Believe me it is a lot of fun.
Steve
Terr0r
Posted 2004-05-19 2:19 AM (#187462 - in reply to #187458)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I agree about the US models, but in the UK they are so expensive...all that transportation cost, import duties, VAT, mark up etc...but that's another rant!

Next big step, persuade the controller of the "purse strings"!

I've got a Marshal AS100 through which I plud in my Ovation and mandolins (and occasionally a keyboard) and I have to say that it is one of the top accoustic amps even compared with the trace elliott which a friend os mine owns. If you haven't tried one I recommend you do!

Terr0r
Posted 2004-05-19 2:25 AM (#187463 - in reply to #187458)

45Flint - I saw a picture of the CSD215 from one of your earlier postings - beautiful looking guitar...what a good find. May you have many years of fun with that!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)