The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Which nylon strings

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Standingovation
Posted 2004-05-20 9:02 AM (#187223)
Subject: Which nylon strings

Can I get some recommendations on what brand nylon strings you use? What exactly do they mean by high tension, low, hard, soft, etc? Does color matter at all?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-05-20 10:00 AM (#187224 - in reply to #187223)
Subject: Re: Which nylon strings

Dave, Hard or extra-hard tension strings work well with Ovation Nylon-strings due to their relatively heavy build compared to traditional classical guitars. I've been using D'Addario Pro Arte composites for a couple of years. Al gave me a set of Adamas ball-end nylon strings with the Viper & I like them a lot.
Country Artist
Posted 2004-05-20 11:03 AM (#187225 - in reply to #187223)

After experimenting with most brands, my favorite nylon strings are the D'Addario Pro-Arte series.

I have use them for many years and I prefer the Normal tension EJ-45 set, for all my nylon string guitars, including my Ovations Country Artist and my Classic as well as others, like handmade flamenco guitars.

The main points I like about the Pro-Artes are that they strech way faster than other brands.
And for my style of playing, which includes right hand rhythms with fingers and lead lines with both fingers and pick playing, the Normal tension feels better to me than a harder tension.

The key is to experiment with all the different tensions and see what works better for your style of playing and your particular guitar.

I am a firm believer that tone is in the hands of the player.

Regards,

Serge

www.sergiolara.com ;)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-20 11:25 AM (#187226 - in reply to #187223)

If Serge is right then that explains why no matter what I play it sounds crappy.

Seriously, I've used Pro-Artes for years and love them. I use the extra hard tension. I like to feel some heft under my fingers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)