The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
ever get tired, and want to give up?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Gway
Posted 2008-11-17 8:34 PM (#11599)
Subject: ever get tired, and want to give up?

I have. I think I'm getting burnded out. I want to play everything I hear,I play some good,some not so good. I've found that even the songs I know are a stuggle. Anyone else feel the same.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cholloway
Posted 2008-11-17 8:38 PM (#11600 - in reply to #11599)
Subject: Re: ever get tired, and want to give up?

That's why I drink!
I don't start sounding any better... but, I stop caring.
Tim in Tidewater
Posted 2008-11-17 8:45 PM (#11601 - in reply to #11599)

Every other day :D
gh1
Posted 2008-11-17 9:12 PM (#11602 - in reply to #11599)

Yep. Then i pick up the guitar.

_____
gh1
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-11-17 9:14 PM (#11603 - in reply to #11599)

Originally posted by Gway:
a stuggle.
Vanna, I'd like to buy an 'R'. Now, THAT's my constant state of musical turmoil.

Hey Gary, just let it go for a day. :D
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2008-11-17 9:29 PM (#11604 - in reply to #11599)

I have a couple of songs I practice a lot. I never seem to get quite good enough at them though. This week in the church band we have two new songs, and guess what? The progressions and keys are very similar to what I've been practicing for months. My first thought was that I'd slap a capo on and play the easy chords, but then I saw that I can actually play what would have stumped me before. That kind of breakthrough makes me want to practice more.
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-11-17 9:38 PM (#11605 - in reply to #11599)

Progress is slow. I have good days and then I have uncoordinated days where nothing seems to work. Having a day or two off every now and then doesn't hurt, also spend some time just playing some enjoyable things, that's what we want to get better for, so we can have more fun.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-11-17 9:55 PM (#11606 - in reply to #11599)

Happens all the time, but I've finally learned enough songs that I can play those and feel good about myself. If I learn too many more, I'll forget the ones I know now. Good excuse not to learn too fast.
Tommy M.
Posted 2008-11-17 10:05 PM (#11607 - in reply to #11599)

Yea, we all get into our ruts. Just remember, playing the guitar is all about fun.
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-11-17 10:06 PM (#11608 - in reply to #11599)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
Good excuse not to learn too fast.
I'm not in any danger of that! :)
CrimsonLake
Posted 2008-11-17 10:13 PM (#11609 - in reply to #11599)

Originally posted by The Artist (FKA Richard):
...and then I have uncoordinated days where nothing seems to work.
That's my normal state of affairs. I can learn songs - no problem. But playing them all the way through, mistake free...I'm not sure if that's ever happened.
G8r
Posted 2008-11-17 11:49 PM (#11610 - in reply to #11599)

All the time, Gary, all the time. Take a break - a day or two - then go back to it.
flackster
Posted 2008-11-18 12:04 AM (#11611 - in reply to #11599)

I'll trade you some of your burned out talent for a 6 pack ;)
Joe Rotax
Posted 2008-11-18 2:40 AM (#11612 - in reply to #11599)

I don't struggle with it. I've been playing pretty much all my life and it is what it is - not great but I can hold my own - when I pick up the guitar something will come out and I'll work with that - I might write it down or I might forget it by the next day but when I pick up the guitar again something else will come out and I'll work with that for awhile - so on it goes until one day I cash in my chips or I can't play anymore.
muzza
Posted 2008-11-18 4:05 AM (#11613 - in reply to #11599)

All the time, Gary. All the time.

I feel like I've been stuck at the same level for the last 10 years, but in reality, I've slowly improved.

I know how to play, I've got a good ear and can pick up the 'guts' of a song fairly quickly. My frustration stems from my lack of consistency and precision.

I'm constantly reminded by loved ones that I can't expect to be much better than I am with 2 young children, 3/4 of the way through building my own house and a full time teaching job.

I keep threatening to give it all up, but my love of making music keeps dragging me back from the edge.

I was thinking of giving the 6 string a rest for a while and going back to my roots - playing bass. But the above reasons for not improving are the same reasons for not joining a band - no time to commit to it. No point in playing bass if you're not in a band.

So, lucky I've got some REALLY nice Ovation acoustic guitars. My enjoyment MUST outweigh my frustrations coz I'm still playing.

Put them away for a week or 2. Give yourself a rest.
ozwatto
Posted 2008-11-18 4:45 AM (#11614 - in reply to #11599)

Occasionally I get into that rut Gary but luckily it doesn't usually last too long. There's been plenty of times where I've put my guitar down and threatened never to touch it again, but 20 minutes later I can't help picking it up again.....because it feels good. Doesn't always sound good but I gave up on perfection a long time ago.

Have a break if you need to and then get back into it. If you have someone or can find someone else to play with, that can be lots of fun and provide some new inspiration.
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2008-11-18 7:01 AM (#11615 - in reply to #11599)

Used to happen to me a lot, not so much now--mainly because I decided to put away the "yardstick." The thing that you're constantly measuring yourself against and getting down and frustrated because you don't measure up. (It's not something a 6-pack will let you get away from, either, at least not permanently.)
Then I realized that I can spend all my time chasing someone else, or just let it go and relax. I'm not saying be lazy, or make excuses, or anything like that...just let yourself off the hook and enjoy where you are now.
In some things (like fingerpicking) I don't think I'm any better than I was 10 years ago; in others, like strumming, I am better, even if it's just marginally.
Most of all, like Popeye says, "I yam what I yam," and at 55, I'm finally o.k. with it. (A musical sweet potato? :D )
Would I like to be able to play like Segovia? Tony Rice? Abraham Laboriel? Of course...but my expectations are different now, and I'm o.k. with that, too. At my age, I'd rather just enjoy playing for playing's sake...and I do.

--Karen
Slipkid
Posted 2008-11-18 7:07 AM (#11616 - in reply to #11599)

That about says it all Karen.
Especially the yardstick refference.
bvince
Posted 2008-11-18 7:32 AM (#11617 - in reply to #11599)

I've had that same feeling many times, since I taught myself to play about 40 years ago. I picked up a lot of bad habits along the way that really hampered my playing. I realized That I had missed some really important elements. So ... I decided to take some lessons! I didn't have the time to go somewhere every week, so I purchased a really nice course on DVD that allows me to go at my own pace. I have since become really excited about learning some of those important steps I missed along the way.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-11-18 9:06 AM (#11618 - in reply to #11599)

I guess I've referenced this a couple of times, but I think Karen and Vince summed me up for the past several years.

I'm essentially self-taught, but used to practice enough to overcome whatever I needed/wanted to play.

Unfortunately, my yardstick, is me. I want to play the songs I wrote and performed and finish recording them.

Well step one is to just play them. That means I have to learn them again. And my playing is so bad, that I can't stand to hear me try to play them and it's so embarrassing to not remember how to play them, that I just put the guitar back down.

I love looking at and hearing great guitars and players. But I haven't had any enjoyment from playing really in many years. Of course there have been moments, like at the Gathering on 4th of July this year, but as soon as I almost thought I got a groove started, my arthritis kicked in and sucked that glimmer of fun right out of my day and I didn't touch another guitar all weekend.

After a few weeks or months I'll "get over it" and pick up a guitar again for a few minutes. Wash, rinse repeat. Been going that for quite a few years now. Frankly... Harry, that sucks.
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-11-18 9:22 AM (#11619 - in reply to #11599)

My playing sucks, and I realize that. I have quite a few very nice guitars and have had a lot more come through my house. I just enjoy trying to play. I know I'll never sing or record any of it, I just enjoy messing around with them. Don't set the bar too high, or it'll become a chore instead of fun. Kind of like playing golf for a living. Probably takes all the fun out of the game.
mcthumber
Posted 2008-11-18 9:25 AM (#11620 - in reply to #11599)

Vince,

Could you tell us the name of the DVD you used? Maybe a link? Good & bad points about it?

Thanks...--Mike
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2008-11-18 10:07 AM (#11621 - in reply to #11599)

...last time I got stuck in the "rut", I found this site: Backing Tracks and started downloading FREE tracks onto a CD. Played at home they're great! You can play with a band on the songs you already know, and the band mates never get pissed at you and your slow progress! Nor do they ever want a break or a raise!

It has truly helped me to expand my musical vocabulary... try 'em!
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-11-18 10:08 AM (#11622 - in reply to #11599)

The 4th really was fun, Miles. Thanks again for your hospitality.

For me, I had been in a rut for many years, playing out occasionally, but never really growing musically. Then reinvigoration began two years ago after I joined a band, and I consider it a blessing. It can be a challenge to play new stuff every week, essentially reading everything and memorizing little, but my bandmates and numerous other regular vocalists that we accompany have become good friends, and I am enjoying almost every moment of the experience.
Beal
Posted 2008-11-18 10:15 AM (#11623 - in reply to #11599)

This is why the Mermaid has been a big help to me. Got to write a different song for a new topic all the time. Sure you can skip a week, and recycle an old song that didn't cut it, buit you're always moving forward. When that needs a break do finger exercises, just play every note on the guitar going up and down, the trick is play them all the same and in constant time. It will halp your chops.
I got a Jam man and it has a bunch of loop tracks and that helps. When I get them down I go play with Davis on a Thursday night.
When all that fails, go golfing or get dinner. Then start thinking about the next song you got to write......
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)