The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
ever get tired, and want to give up?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-11-18 10:27 AM (#11624 - in reply to #11599)
Subject: Re: ever get tired, and want to give up?

This may be a bit too warm and fuzzy, but this little community helps a lot. Like many of us, I gave it up for years, probably 25, but got back into it because of this board. I have no one around to motivate me. None of our friends play guitar or are really interested in music. Our daughters suddenly became interested in guitar, but not until they were in college. That helped inspire me and our youngest introduced me to the wonderful world of tabs.
Those of you that have regular gigs or jams have something to aspire to. The get togethers that I have been to have forced me to practice so that I can at least play something decent on someone else's fine guitar. Afterward, I always vow to learn to play some electric stuff, but I never do. There are thousands of good songs out there to learn and so little time. But for now I need to start my day job.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
alpep
Posted 2008-11-18 10:27 AM (#11625 - in reply to #11599)

i agree with beal. I was in a rut for a while and now I go to an open mic every wed. It is an enviornment that puts me in touch with a like minded community of musicians and song writers. as a result I have started to write songs again and learn cool covers so I'm not that guy that plays the same 2 songs every week. Sue has also got back into playing bass and backs me up so it is really good for us all around. plus sue and i get to spend some time together doing something we really love to do.

give up? well yup I thought about it but everytime I think i'm out they keep pulling me back in........
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-11-18 10:29 AM (#11626 - in reply to #11599)

If Beal and Al get in a rut, they could always practice their typing.
JeffreyD
Posted 2008-11-18 10:34 AM (#11627 - in reply to #11599)

I gave up bass one time for something like 6 years. I thought I was soooo good at bass and was quite prideful.

Then I heard a real bass player (don't even remember who), and laid it down. Today I fully acknowledge how mediocre I am at guitar and bass. Usually I miss the guitar after a few days of not playing, but I really get depressed when I try to record. I have a terrible block there right now and haven't even hit the record button on the Tascam for a year.
MusicMishka
Posted 2008-11-18 11:07 AM (#11628 - in reply to #11599)

I live out in the middle of some of the most beautiful scenery in the country...but it's rural...I mean that most kids here are probably 12 before they find out their name is not "Cut Wood"...
There is litterly very few to play with, and no clubs/open mic nights/street corners/what have you...
I do go hang out occaisionaly at Wayne Hendersons Guitar Shop, but in winter that is a dangerous drive...
So, I get into my music collection, watch DVD's, play different guitars (with which I am blessed), call up a few folks on the phone from time to time, play each weekend in both of my churches, and nearly every evening for my family...it's enough.
I played on the road for many years...even when I got off of the road, I was able to continue to play out for more years after that...then, I became a family man, and stopped playing out for a living. There are times when I do miss the crowds and audience's but not the bars, and certainly not the smoke. For me, that works.
Life is meant to be a progressive event...we do what we can/what we want, and have the ability to move in different directions...
This group is great for helping me to stay in touch and the events/jams/tours are just so much fun...
I am able to play what I want and I am still learning...and that is a positive thing! If I get bored or busy and get away from the music for a while: it's cool! It's always waiting for me when I return...
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2008-11-18 11:22 AM (#11629 - in reply to #11599)

...seems like the common idea here is to "play out" either with others or at an Open Mic.

Why not give the Convalescent Home Gig a try? They are the most appreciative and most overlooked population group and would welcome ANY attempt at entertainment. It would force you into playing more and has the double benefit of blessing others and youself at the same time.....
schroeder
Posted 2008-11-18 1:16 PM (#11630 - in reply to #11599)

Or you could just give up. Sell the guitars and find a different hobby.

Doesn't sound so good does it?
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2008-11-18 1:26 PM (#11631 - in reply to #11599)

....but then, wouldn't all the chicks and hangers-on leave?
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-11-18 2:53 PM (#11632 - in reply to #11599)

Originally posted by schroeder:
Or you could just give up. Sell the guitars and find a different hobby.

Doesn't sound so good does it?
I guess that depends on your perspective.
fillhixx
Posted 2008-11-18 3:37 PM (#11633 - in reply to #11599)

Because it can't be said too many times.

Thanks Miles for the gathering. It was great to see those who came again, those who came for the first time, and gossiping about those who didn't make it. (you know who you are....)

Those are among the things that keep me interested. Practicing with Dave, and last Sunday night we played a coffee house in a United Church. .....and this time none of the books spontaniously combusted!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-11-18 5:20 PM (#11634 - in reply to #11599)

Originally posted by fillhixx:
.....and this time none of the books spontaneously combusted!
Hmmmm I noticed the qualifier of "this time."

The 4th was a great time had by all. Some of the locals have already nudged for a 'nother get together. We had some last minute idea's that we didn't get to pull off due to timing, so just covering those basis takes care of the "agenda."

Too early to plan with the economy and such, but it's being talked about.

As far as my 'tude toward playing... well who knows, but I sure still like listening, and that won't ever get old. That's the best part of the Vancouver Island Music Fest (are 2009 tickets on sale yet???) No matter where you turn, young and old, playing great music of all kinds on all kinds of instruments.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2008-11-18 5:57 PM (#11635 - in reply to #11599)

After playing for over 40 years, I have had MANY "slumps". I still get them. Sometimes it just seems so pointless. There will always be people who are better, and although that usually doesn't bother me, sometimes it DOES. When I hear a new song that I want to learn, I get inspired, and then I'm into it again for a while. One thing that has helped too, is trying another instrument. Lately it has been banjo, but before that I got into harp. Piano is always good too. Somehow when you play the same old chords on an instrument you're not familiar with, they sound so exotic, it gets you fired up.
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-11-18 6:03 PM (#11636 - in reply to #11599)

There will always be someone better than you, but you can be better than you are. I think it is the improvement that is inspiring, not perfection. When I can do something a bit better than before it pokes me to work harder.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)