The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Jazz... isn't that just a series of mistakes disguised as musical composition?” - David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
2171 Reviews, Raves & Complains... (advice?)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-18 4:35 PM (#11445)
Subject: 2171 Reviews, Raves & Complains... (advice?)

Got it...

No Crappy 'Contour' label, Cool Factory picture... but it do specify:
"Designed in USA * Made in Korea * Final Assembly and Quality Inspection in New Hartford, CT, USA"

Well... I will let y'all enjoy the beauty of this geetar while I compose all my complains and concerns.
I also wanna play with it a bit more before I talk bad about it... :D
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2008-11-18 4:36 PM (#11446 - in reply to #11445)
Subject: Re: 2171 Reviews, Raves & Complains... (advice?)

looks kinda sunbursty...
Beal
Posted 2008-11-18 4:39 PM (#11447 - in reply to #11445)

It's a really nice box too. Beats having to have a case to carry it around in.
Waskel
Posted 2008-11-18 4:43 PM (#11448 - in reply to #11445)

Is it just the lighting or does the grain difference in the top halves really show that much?
Waskel
Posted 2008-11-18 4:49 PM (#11449 - in reply to #11445)

Forget the case, Beal... I don't see any pizza boxes. Some dealers just cut corners everywhere.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-18 5:03 PM (#11450 - in reply to #11445)

Complains and Concern... First! The action is about 1/8" at the 12th fret!
My Sweet T had 3 huge shim under that saddle and I had to take two out... Others have complained about this... I this the new standard?
[My 2058T was just fine I might add]

I can change the string height... But here are two real concerns...
I hope that y'all can see this, but there is a little triangular chip or dent near the binding! It is not Right next to the binding, there is 0.5mm between the bowl and the white binding.
Can y'all see what I'm talking about?

Also there is glue slop at the sound-hole...

So those are my concerns... And I need advice from those who are older (mentally), wiser, and more experienced with this kinda stuff.

I will wait patiently and play with my new toy.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-18 5:16 PM (#11451 - in reply to #11445)

Originally posted by The Wabbit Formerly Known As Waskel:
Is it just the lighting or does the grain difference in the top halves really show that much?

You can definitely see the line, and yes it is different depending on the light.
The wood IS book-matched, and it is pretty tight. But is is only grade A, and you can see the wet and dry years. But the grain is not as loose as someone in an online review made it sound. It is wood and it is all different.

I'm more concerned about the chip and the glue...

(And it came in another box... But no pizza boxes or beer crates! :p )
They also sent me a "Pledge Multi-Suface Wipe" and a coupon, but I'm not sure if I would use it.
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-11-18 5:54 PM (#11452 - in reply to #11445)

OMA, the way I figure it, you got a cheap guitar at an inexpensive price. On an expensive all USA model, these things wouldn't be acceptable, but hey, you paid $309 including shipping!!

I'm starting to feel that I'd know my way around if I ever visited your apartment.
Steve
Posted 2008-11-18 5:57 PM (#11453 - in reply to #11445)

I'm wondering how the bowls are inspected and they miss that chip, and how the 'glue slop' got past final inspection? I guess all that happened before it got to the New Hartford. FWIW it would
look better without the rossette.
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-11-18 6:01 PM (#11454 - in reply to #11445)

The chip wouldn't bother me since I can't even see it (is it in the bowl?), and at the first string change, I'd buff out the extra glue.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-18 6:19 PM (#11455 - in reply to #11445)

The chip is directly up from the strap button, in the bowl, directly at the binding.

As to the glue... I thought that they got the neck and the body from Korea, and set the neck in New Hartford. ("Hah-fudd") But I could be mistaken. (I have been before)

Yeah, I have paid this much and more for a Used Guitar...
But it wasn't NEW with the expectations that come with a new instrument!

Now I am struggling with the idea of removing some shims. I hate to remove and trash new strings!

And Richard... I live is a one-room studio apartment...
With the exception of my Bathroom, if you've seen my photos you Have seen my whole apartment! :cool:
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-11-18 6:36 PM (#11456 - in reply to #11445)

Have MF send ya another one.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-18 6:51 PM (#11457 - in reply to #11445)

Iffy... That's kinda what I was asking... Waiting on a consensus.

BTW-- I do sound Nice!
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-11-18 7:03 PM (#11458 - in reply to #11445)

$309? I spent that kinda money on a bag to carry my cables and assorted gig stuff. My strings bill for a year is way more than that, even at wholesale prices. So there's a few minor cosmetic or set-up issues on an entry-level guitar that you got cheap. So what?

I bought one of these from Al a few months ago for one of my students. I was very pleasantly surprised at the sound and build quality, and once I'd tweaked the set-up it played great.

Part of the reason these things are affordable is that they don't go through the same manufacturing and quality control standards as USA-built guitars. If the the guitar feels, plays and sounds OK I'd be perfectly happy. Because, a few minor blemishes aside, 300 bucks doesn't buy you much these days in terms of a guitar you could actually go out and earn a living with.

Yeah, you could have MF send you another one, that's your statutory right. But is it really worth it? What if the next one doesn't sound as good, or has a different tiny cosmetic fault? $300 hundred bucks for a guitar, where the pickup and electonics would cost you over $200 if you ordered them from a dealer as replacements...... lets have a little perspective here.
G8r
Posted 2008-11-18 7:05 PM (#11459 - in reply to #11445)

Arthur, I'd expect better from a brand-new guitar. With a used guitar you might expect some battle scars, unless it's offered up as "mint." But a new guitar should be just that, mint. That glue residue is inexcusable. The ding in the bowl is kinda hard to see in the pics, but the point is that you see it, and if you're bothered by it (as I would be in your shoes), I'd contact the shop you bought from, explain (nicely) your disappointment, and ask for an exchange. Just my opinion.

Edit - Paul I was typing this as you posted. I disagree that this being an entry level guitar that you should be happy with sloppy build quality. Yes, the materials aren't top grade, and the level of QC won't be as high as with a higher-end. But by way of analogy, if I buy a brand new Civic I don't expect that the appointments will be to the same standards as an Accord, but I also don't expect that the Civic's doors won't close properly, or that the headliner will be sagging.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-11-18 7:13 PM (#11460 - in reply to #11445)

My daughter bought her first guitar, an Ibanez, from MF. One of the box staples punched right into the back. I told her she should have bought an Ovation. She sent it back. The second one appeared perfect until I bought her an amp for Christmas. The preamp didn't work. Third time and almost a year later she got a guitar that didn't have issues. More headache than it was worth. The real killer was that through all this I visited my first Guitar Center, was introduced to internet guitar stores, discovered ebay and found this site. It's cost thousands of dollars in time and purchases, all because of that staple. (Any similarity to "for want of a nail . . ." is purely coincidental.)
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-11-18 7:14 PM (#11461 - in reply to #11445)

I'll go with Paul on this one. Waddaya want for nuttin, a rrrrrruuuuubberrrr biscuit?
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-11-18 7:16 PM (#11462 - in reply to #11445)

Serge, that was spoken like someone who has zero experience of offshore guitar manufacturing and the econonmics of instrument wholesaleing and distribution. The build quality is not "sloppy" It's within accept able tolerances for the price-point. The "faults" are minor cosmetic issues and despite them the guitar remains absolutely fit for the purpose intended.

If you want USA quality pay the money (and I know you have many fine guitars, so do not take this as a personal attack) But anyone you buys relatively inexpensive imported guitars and expects totally consistent quality, comparable to domestic production, is kidding themselves.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-18 7:19 PM (#11463 - in reply to #11445)

Good Points, Paul. One thing with me is that they might run outta sunboists...
They have one today, but in ten days they might not. Plus there might be something else wrong with it...
My previous experience with MF is I bought a Generic SG and had to send it back TWICE.
Then I sold the third one to my buddy for cost, cuz MF didn't have anymore.

Once I decide to lower the saddle and tweak the truss-rod, I will basically own it.
So, unless the OFC electoral college decides that I should return it...

This is why I ask these questions... Cuz I'm so damn indecisive!

[Since y'all were typing while I was typing...
The 'Price Point'? MSRP is $849... and $310 is 2/3 of my month's rent... I'm Poor! :( ]
G8r
Posted 2008-11-18 7:26 PM (#11464 - in reply to #11445)

No offense taken, Paul. You're absolutely right I'm unfamiliar with those business issues.

Shoddy workmanship just happens to be a personal bugbear to me. I feel that people in general are too complacent about accepting poorly designed or executed anything. I'm just a PITA that way :D
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-18 7:34 PM (#11465 - in reply to #11445)

g8r... When Toyota moved to America, American advisers told them that they didn't need to paint the whole bumper since nobody saw the back.

Alot of imported items were of better quality until we taught the about the 'Acceptable Levels' of quality.
American auto makers started plastic bumpers.
Remember the Original Toyota Land Cruiser? Put today's Hummer to shame.

I Love Capitalism!

Remember... The selling point for the new Ultra is that you got American Quality for a lower price!
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-11-18 7:42 PM (#11466 - in reply to #11445)

Arthur, if you got a solid topped Ovation that was perfect for $309, would you ever buy a new one built entirely in the USA. You got a great deal. I'll play it for you over Thanksgiving and then you'll realize how good it sounds . . . when you play it.
Damon67
Posted 2008-11-18 7:47 PM (#11467 - in reply to #11445)

What's the saying? If it seems like too good of a deal?

If I'm going to get imperfection for my money, I'd rather spend $300 on an old early 80's A-braced Legend with a couple finish cracks. Heck I'd prolly even get a case!
dxdgenert
Posted 2008-11-18 8:00 PM (#11468 - in reply to #11445)

OMA, my experience with the 2178 that I ordered has been completely different.

I got mine today ($377 total from MF) and couldn't be happier. The quality is actually better than I had expected. I am used to my Fender Highway One and Gibson Faded Les Paul (both "low-end" USA offerings). Those guitars clearly have cut corners to meet a certain price-point.

The Ovation is entirely different and one would be hard pressed to tell a discernible difference between this and a XX78.

Inlaid epaulets, perfect finish and great binding! Action is quite high but I too will just remove a shim or two.

In all, I am VERY satisfied and feel like I really found a great deal on a quality guitar. There is nothing in this price range that would even come close.

EDIT: Pictures to follow.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2008-11-18 8:09 PM (#11469 - in reply to #11445)

There are "some mail-order companies" who sell seconds as first quality merchandise. I won't list any names here, but it is good to be aware that there are "some mail-order companies" that sell things that they KNOW are defective, because a certain percentage of the people won't bother to send them back. They make enough money on these second quality and defective items, that it is apparently worth the hassle of taking back the returns they DO get. (Besides, they just re-sell to other unsuspecting customers.) I have also found that with "some mail-order companies", when you return an item, YOU have to pay the shipping.

That being said, a little nail polish on that ding in the bowl should cover it up just fine. And you DON'T have to take the strings off to get at the shims. Just loosen them a LOT, get a pair of needelenose and pull that saddle right out of there. That's the way we did it at the factory, and that's the way I do it here at the shop.

If the guitar sounds good, AND if it doesn't buzz when you take the shims out, I would keep it if I were you.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)