The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
2171 Reviews, Raves & Complains... (advice?)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-18 8:35 PM (#11470 - in reply to #11445)
Subject: Re: 2171 Reviews, Raves & Complains... (advice?)

Don't misunderstand me... This is a great sounding guitar.
And I am sure that your 2178 is just fine. I am sure most 2171 don't have a chip and glue smears.
Like I said, I gotta buck-up and pull some shims out from under the saddle...
But I so Hate wasting new factory strings.
I have been playing it, and listening to the news, and playing on the computer... (multi-tasking)
But I am concerned about that chip, which was the first thing that I saw when pulling it outta the foamy cellophane bag. Then the glue.
I will look inside to see if that chip goes all the way through while I am in there.
If it goes all the way through, I will have to send it back.
If it doesn't go all the way through, but causes a problem later, I will use the warranty.

But like some folks are saying...
You should not be able to find obvious defect right outta the box!
I don't care Who makes it!
I got two inspection hang-tags with illegible signatures on them... Somebody should have seen this.

And like Damon said... I have paid more for Ovations with cracks in them.
But I knew it had a crack when I bought it.

But some of you are saying that I should be happy...
This is not a Blem, FRG or 2nd. It is not Used.
Yes, it is a $310 guitar... But it is a NEW OVATION!

:rolleyes: Excuse me... I'm ranting and rambling now... better hit the button.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-18 8:40 PM (#11471 - in reply to #11445)

Originally posted by CanterburyStrings:
That being said, a little nail polish on that ding in the bowl should cover it up just fine. And you DON'T have to take the strings off to get at the shims. Just loosen them a LOT, get a pair of needelenose and pull that saddle right out of there. That's the way we did it at the factory, and that's the way I do it here at the shop.

If the guitar sounds good, AND if it doesn't buzz when you take the shims out, I would keep it if I were you.
Thank You... The voice of sanity! :D

After I just got done ranting for 500 words.

[Calm down, Arthur... Take a nice slow calming breath]
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-11-18 8:51 PM (#11472 - in reply to #11445)

Mine is supposed to show up tomorrow ... I'll let ya'll know if OMA's is a one-off or if it's systemic.
Damon67
Posted 2008-11-18 9:27 PM (#11473 - in reply to #11445)

OMA, I put a capo on the 12th fret and pull all the string's slack to the bridge side when loosening strings. Seems to work better for me when I'm pulling out the bridge.

Does that make sense?
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-18 9:39 PM (#11474 - in reply to #11445)

Thank You Damon... I wish I had read that first.
I just loosen the strings, lifted the saddle with tape-covered needle-nosed pliers, propped-it up with a pick and dumped the shim out....
Big thick ramped piece of plastic. Only one.
It's alot better, but still ain't great.
I cannot do the 'two-pennies' trick. (Higher than that)
So definitely cannot put two dimes under there.
I will play it awhile and decide what I am gonna do...

But one thing I know that I will do...
I will remember that capo at the 12th fret trick.
(maybe the 10th fret with my Kyser :D )
ovationluver
Posted 2008-11-18 10:22 PM (#11475 - in reply to #11445)

Originally posted by The Wabbit Formerly Known As Waskel:
Is it just the lighting or does the grain difference in the top halves really show that much?
cuase by grain 'run out' - i've seen some very pricey guitars with just as much as this one
ovationluver
Posted 2008-11-18 10:29 PM (#11476 - in reply to #11445)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
Iffy... That's kinda what I was asking... Waiting on a consensus.

BTW-- I do sound Nice!
If you send it back you run the very real risk of getting a cosmetically good one that sounds bad (tinny trebbles, no mids, no bass etc) if it sounds good, you got a great deal!!! and when you do eventually ding it, no biggie :)
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-11-19 3:30 AM (#11477 - in reply to #11445)

Originally posted by g8r:
I feel that people in general are too complacent about accepting poorly designed or executed anything. I'm just a PITA that way
Serge, you and I are in the same club re complacency. As noted, this git was over $800 MSRP. They're now at $399. So what? Defects are not acceptable regardless of the price if the item is new.

Yes, the wood may not be AAAA spruce, has a nylon nut/saddle, etc., ergo, lower price. But defects? Not fer me...

Mine is due in today and it had best be in grand condition. Otherwise, back it goes...

>

sycamore
Posted 2008-11-19 5:21 AM (#11478 - in reply to #11445)

Would this be similar to a CU147 ?
http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/CU147.htm
I posted before about one on sale here in Cork for about €1000 about US$1,261.84 !!!
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-11-23 12:37 PM (#11479 - in reply to #11445)

Last night I finally unpacked the 2171 and I must say that it's not an $800 (MSRP). But , it's 'bout the best $320 (had to chip in $10 for shipping) I've spent on a git, especially since it's new. It's definitely in the $500-600 quality range.

My description matches OMA's except for his two issues. I have none. The 'equator' is predominant, but the top is tight. The sunburst is not quite the Ovation SB of the past. It is more like some Gibbies I've seen, but attractive nonetheless.

The 'girlie neck' is smooth and fast. The 14th fret cut-away gives excellent access above the 12th. I haven't spent much time up there, but now it'll be a lot easier!

Bottom line: sweet guitar for a hellava price! :D
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-11-23 3:52 PM (#11480 - in reply to #11445)

Oh, one more observation: the walnut bridge does look thirsty.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-23 5:02 PM (#11481 - in reply to #11445)

Originally posted by 2ifbyC:
Oh, one more observation: the walnut bridge does look thirsty.
Get out the Baby Laxative. :D

Where's the pics? I realize that it probably looks just like mine, but pics anyway.

BTW- Sent mine back, replacement scheduled to arrive Tuesday.
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-11-23 5:32 PM (#11482 - in reply to #11445)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
Where's the pics?
OMA,

These crutches are really hobbling my attempts to take some pics. In fact I have three gits that are awaiting my 'Iffy's Beauty Treatment' prior to their debut on the OFC. Hopefully in the near future...
Beal
Posted 2008-11-23 6:01 PM (#11483 - in reply to #11445)

I vote with Alison.
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-11-23 6:20 PM (#11484 - in reply to #11445)

I unpacked mine yesterday as well. Maybe my expectations were low, but this delivers on all accounts ... especially given the price point and what we should expect for a mid-range guitar. I figure this is in the same league as other asian made guitars so that's what I'm comparing it against in general.

Ditto on the sunburst. Mine has got a red band that popped out at me right away, but it's growing on me. The paint job itself is actually pretty good ... consistent color and fade and all three colors look good. The body binding is done really well ... very tight.

This shot above of the 2171 on my bench shows the red pretty well. In other pictures, it's not as evident and looks more like a standard three color sunburst.

The bridge on mine is really nicely figured, and it is some species of rosewood (not walnut), and also needs some oil. :) But I think it will come in nicely. It is perfectly machined.

Rosette is nicely done and elegantly understated. Appears to be real MOP. The grain of the solid top actually shows through fairly well and it's not a bad piece of wood. The top seam is fairly obvious, but otherwise the two pieces match up nicely in grain and color.

More in the next post ... I can't post any more pictures in this one.
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-11-23 6:21 PM (#11485 - in reply to #11445)

Review continued ...

The fretboard is rosewood species and has some figure to it. The neck binding is well done and only one corner could use a little filing, but that is a total nitpick. The inlays are typical Korean fauxMOP (mother of plastic) that you are familiar with if you have any Epiphone or Celebrity guitars. But very tightly machined ... they look perfect. Every one of them ... the wonders of computer controlled manufacturing.

The guitar plays well all the way up the neck with no fret buzzing at all. The frets themselves are very consistent and nary a one out of place. The action is a little high but not unplayable in the least. I will tweak the Truss rod and pull a shim when I change the strings. BTW, note that the truss rod is accessed from the soundhole and there is no adjustment at the peghead.

Speaking of the peghead, it is a classic ovation look of a gloass black with chrome ovation logo and chrome ovation-branded tuners. The tuners are what you should expect on a $500 guitar, but they are holding the tune and feel tight. Overall, this headstock definitely has the US-made look. And notice also the five piece neck.

The guitar plays like an Ovation. If you like the quintessential Ovation neck, this one has got it. Nearly identical in feel to the 2007BCS (more on that whole thing later), more D shaped than V shaped but real fast. Gloss finish has a great feel to it. This is a five piece neck, but it's clear the quality of the wood is a notch or two down from what we expect on New Hartford guitars ... but it's good not crappy. The back of the headstock is beautiful in the same way the typical Ovation looks.

I was a tad disappointed in the way the guitar sounded when I first pulled it out. Just sounded tight and lacking in bass response. The top seemed harsh. It took a couple of rounds to get it in tune and the strings seemed brand new. Kudos on the tuner on the OP-Pro ... reall nice and easy to see and read dead on to a Wittner I have. But all of a sudden the sound started to come in. I guess the guitar just hadn;t been played at all. I ended up playing it for several hours on an off, and damn if the bass didn't come in and the top smoothed out a whole bunch. This morning I played it again and it sounds much better. We'll see after it get a whole lot more play.

So here's a pic of it getting played. This is a great deal for $310. It's worth over $500 in the consumer market based on the guitars I've played out there, maybe more. The quality of the construction is real good. And of course, there is the design. ;)

So how can you tell the difference between these and the ones 100% made in the US? I figured out one main way. More on the subject in another post.
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-11-23 6:29 PM (#11486 - in reply to #11445)

Just for fun, I also put it next to the 2007BCS to let you'll see how the two guitars macth up.

Wow. Pretty close, huh? What does the average consumer see? Probably not a lot of difference. But there is one thing that is really different between the guitars (aside from wood quality). And now that I think about it, it is exactly the same thing that was different between my USA-made Ultra and the Korean-made Ultra my twin sister bought. In exactly the same way. Bowl paint! Check it out.

There is a huge difference in the texture bewteen the 2007BCS (top) and the 2171 (bottom).

So there you go.
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-11-23 6:30 PM (#11487 - in reply to #11445)

stone,

Super review!

You did remind me 'bout the inlaid rosette. Very nicely done.

I as you, though the git was 'tinny' last night. But by this evening, it has really warmed up. I'm quite pleased with the sound now. ovationluver made the same comment 'bout a new 2178.

BTW, your 'equator' in your pics is not nearly as obvious as mine. It's still a keeper...
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)