The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Why isn't there a Nancy Wilson model O

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Mr. Ovation
Posted 2008-11-21 4:01 PM (#11005 - in reply to #10980)
Subject: Re: Why isn't there a Nancy Wilson model O

Who's Sarah ?

As far as John Wayne and Dirty Harry..

John Wayne.. few people under 30 know who he is and there is a good chance that many of his movies would not even be allowed to be made today. (which is true of a lot of things... I'm just say'n).

Dirty Harry.. the last movie was over 20 years ago.

As far as "It's a shame that pure talent doesn't seem to be as plentiful nowadays." Yep, I know it's your opinion. I would say that there is WAY more musical talent today then there ever has been in the history of music. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find most of it, because there is just so much new music out there.

I think we all can agree that "commercially released" music is just a small fraction of what's out there. On the site I get my music from, there are roughly 30 NEW albums added EVERY DAY. That's just commercial stuff. YouTube, CDBaby and a host of others have 100's uploaded DAILY!!!! It's overload to even scratch the surface. That is my hurdle in finding music.. just too much to sift through.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
cholloway
Posted 2008-11-21 4:09 PM (#11006 - in reply to #10980)

Doesn't Sarah Wilson play trumpet???
ProfessorBB
Posted 2008-11-21 4:39 PM (#11007 - in reply to #10980)

I prefer Eastwood's Unforgiven. It better fits an old guy like me. He's a softer, more vulnerable Harry, but just as explosive and dangerous when unleashed.
Beal
Posted 2008-11-21 5:29 PM (#11008 - in reply to #10980)

Sarah Vaughn
Beal
Posted 2008-11-21 5:30 PM (#11009 - in reply to #10980)

or is that Maclaughlin?

I'm great at spelling!!
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-11-21 5:43 PM (#11010 - in reply to #10980)

Originally posted by (Mauvais) Beal:
I'm great at spelling!!
Something new you're working on?
Northcountry
Posted 2008-11-21 5:59 PM (#11011 - in reply to #10980)

She was doing some advertising for Daisy Rock guitars last I remember.
fillhixx
Posted 2008-11-21 6:18 PM (#11012 - in reply to #10980)

Sarah Wilson; played Goalie for the Medford Lugnuts when Ann and Nancy went up to Vancouver to become Canadian Content. They put her in goal 'cause her stick handling sucked.
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-11-21 6:24 PM (#11013 - in reply to #10980)

Originally posted by Northcountry:
She was doing some advertising for Daisy Rock guitars last I remember.
Nancy in her prime pimping for Daisy Rock would be an awesome combo.
Beal
Posted 2008-11-21 7:19 PM (#11014 - in reply to #10980)

"stick handling sucked"

I think I'll leave that one alone.
Oddball
Posted 2008-11-21 7:30 PM (#11015 - in reply to #10980)

Nancy Wilson's sister is Ann, which I'm sure is what that earlier poster meant to say. What a set a pipes she has — still.

I guess my point was more that Ovation has long had an Al model (whose type of music I am not interested in), a Melissa model (whose music is okay but how many men or even straight women are going to want one of her guitars — NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT), and these Sixx Heroine things, which again, WTF were they thinking?

As stated elsewhere on this thread, I'm also not particularly interested in signature models of anything. For that matter, I like Ovations but give me a nice sounding guitar from any maker and I'm happy. I guess what I was getting at is that Nancy Wilson seemed at one time like she would have been a natural choice to have been approached by Ovation about this, simply since she seemed to use Ovations a lot. And Heart's music is serious rock that has stood the test of time and still sounds terrific. (yes, Melissa CAN rock, but Hearts music IS rock)

Anyway, as a red-blooded 'Murcan male, I would also like to see more from Shakira and Shania — if you know what I mean, wink wink. I would be much more apt to buy a signature model from them (admittely for the fantasy factor) than Al or Melissa.

Obviously a pretty slow news day to have this discussion last so long....
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-11-21 7:30 PM (#11016 - in reply to #10980)

I think that's a woman that we'd all want to stay away from.....
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-11-21 8:03 PM (#11017 - in reply to #10980)

Originally posted by Oddball:
I guess what I was getting at is that Nancy Wilson seemed at one time like she would have been a natural choice to have been approached by Ovation
But that was 30 years ago. We all assume that Ovation somehow screwed up the chance. Has anyone considered that maybe Ovation DID approach her and maybe she didn't want to do the deal?

I think today the number of people that would buy a Wilson signature ovation is about 25 and they're all horny old OFC members. If you want to sell guitars today go sign up Miley Cirus,Coldplay and Toby Keith.

Heck on TV Sarah Silverman plays a Daisy Rock. She can't play, but it sure is great exposure.

Toby
Slipkid
Posted 2008-11-21 8:20 PM (#11018 - in reply to #10980)

Gallerinski... the voice of clarity and reason.

Toby Keith
Toby Keith
Keith, Toby

Toby
Tooooby

Is there a connection Dave??
Did something "happen" in Texas???
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-11-21 8:24 PM (#11019 - in reply to #10980)

No connection.
Englishplayer
Posted 2008-11-21 8:37 PM (#11020 - in reply to #10980)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:
Originally posted by Oddball:
[qb] I guess what I was getting at is that Nancy Wilson seemed at one time like she would have been a natural choice to have been approached by Ovation
But that was 30 years ago. We all assume that Ovation somehow screwed up the chance. Has anyone considered that maybe Ovation DID approach her and maybe she didn't want to do the deal?

No. She was doing adds for epiphone guitars. She'd do epiphone, but is too much for Ovation? That's hard to believe. With Ovation's history, it seems more likely that they did not go for an artist endorsement.
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-11-21 10:22 PM (#11021 - in reply to #10980)

Maybe she never really liked the guitars. Only used them because nothing else had pickups.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-11-21 10:32 PM (#11022 - in reply to #10980)

She did ads for Ovation and Adamas in the 70's and 80's. After the late 60's until the early 90's, there were no signature models except the Glen Campbell Artist. My guess is that signature models was not the direction Ovation wanted to go at that time. Maybe, because they were so popular in the 70's and 80's, they didn't feel that they needed to do them.

Of course, I'd still do Nancy Wilson, but that's another thread altogether.......
Oddball
Posted 2008-11-21 11:21 PM (#11023 - in reply to #10980)

Moody, thanks for that info. I did not know she did ads for O's, but will somehow sleep better knowing that the opportunity was indeed not lost. LOL.
Gallerinski, 30 years ago was 1978. I'm not a huge fan, but Heart released 6 albums in the '80s, five in the '90s and 5 more in the '00s. Admittedly most of the latter were collections or live stuff, but still. And that's just counting Heart, not any of Ann's solo albums. If you go on Youtube they are all over the place in very recent vids, still sounding really good. And still touring.

Al De Meola chronology: very similar — 3 albums in the 70s, 6 in the '80s, 8 in the '90s (including Xmas and several greatest hits), and 7 in the 00s. If you go to his website, there is a blatant endorsement of Al playing his signature PRS model (which is one beautiful guitar).

So your "Nancy is old news, Al is happenin" argument doesn't hold water. Not to mention Glen Campbell, whose peak was CERTAINLY in the '60s and '70s. Sure he's still putting albums out, but if you measure signature model worthiness by peak popularity era, Glen is a T-Rex. Yet he retains popularity because his songs have passed the test of time. And his signature guitars continue to retain value and desireability. IMHO, Nancy Wilson is no less deserving for the same reason. But she didn't get a signature model. Okay, so what. I don't think she lost any sleep over it and neither have I. I just thought it would be a fun thought to throw out after seeing her playing an Ovation in about 10 different videos from different eras.

Can we let this thread die now, please? Otherwise I'm going to make Heart put me on retainer.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-11-22 12:27 AM (#11024 - in reply to #10980)

Last Spring I bought an ad and framed it. It had a nice shot of Nancy with an 83 Collector's sitting next to Beal (he was better looking then, too) also with an 83 Collector. I liked the pic of Nancy, but gave it to my daughter with an 83 Collector. She did her part. Plenty of guitar manufacturers gave her guitars, but she used Ovations at her height.
PEZ
Posted 2008-11-30 3:33 AM (#11025 - in reply to #10980)

It is a interesting concept.
You know how many huge artist played O's.
You can have 100's of Artist models.
Might not be a bad idea.
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-11-30 6:37 AM (#11026 - in reply to #10980)

No sexist offense intended but the fact is that a woman's name on a product does not make it overly appealing to a male dominated buying public. You don't see guys in the gym wearing Diane Turasi basketball jerseys.

No disrespect to Nancy Wilson but putting her name a guitar isn't going to make it sell to a male dominated audience. Now, use her in print ads is another story. Guys would gobble that stuff up. The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders make guys want to be Cowboy fans, they don't make guys want to be cheerleaders.

The Ovation players they should have tapped into at their peaks, in my opinion would have been Paul McCartney, Paul Simon and Eric Clapton. Those would have sold like rubbers in a Thai whore house.
Losov
Posted 2008-11-30 7:03 AM (#11027 - in reply to #10980)

Gallerinski's theory seems to be on the money, but let's test it:

How many guys bought MEIIs?
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-11-30 7:14 AM (#11028 - in reply to #10980)

I know a few guys who bought them. Strummin12 comes to mind.

People (guys included) will buy a guitar if it's a really good guitar and the name on it doesn't matter. But a woman's name on it isn't going to make guys flock to it BECAUSE of the name.

Friend of mine plays a Bonnie Raitt stratocaster because he really likes the guitar. I don't think he knows who Bonnie Raitt is. Probably thinks the signature on the guitar is the Fender QC inspector.
Losov
Posted 2008-11-30 8:02 AM (#11029 - in reply to #10980)

Originally posted by Gallerinski:

People (guys included) will buy a guitar if it's a really good guitar and the name on it doesn't matter.
That's the ideal, but is it the reality?

I think people are now overly motivated by names, particularly the one on the headstock. People now are fawning over the names of boutique builders whose output is one instrument a month. Sure they rave about them - they paid more than they did for their last car.

The new twist in the production instruments is to take precise measurements of famous artists axes and recreate them - at a multiple of the price of the stock version of the same instrument. Martin's been doing this. Must be working because they still are.

So names sell, no doubt about it.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)