The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
I'm screwed .... or blessed, I honestly can't determine which it is???

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

ovationluver
Posted 2008-11-22 3:06 PM (#10508)
Subject: I'm screwed .... or blessed, I honestly can't determine which it is???

well, I had a 05 collector some time ago - it was gorgous but it just didn't seem to satisfy my sence of tone ... could be me intirely ??

I 'upgraded' to an adamas 2080 - which I liked - - but momentary financial pressures led to me sell that one recently leaving me ovation -less

which brings me to my point - I bought '2' 1778Ts - theory was - I've been very picky about my guitars and I knew if I got one there would be some little thing that bugged me - a nick, a tick, too much bass too little bass, whatever. so I figured they'd both be great or I'd have a preference of one over the other and I'd re-sell one either way and joey lives happily ever after. proble is - they should not really even be the same model no. - (see other post about 1778t comparo) the maple neck def has kinda a maple like tone - enough so I've lost my lust over a taylor 614ce - and the mahogany neck one has a more mellow tone to it - also very nice, and different - plus with the new bowl (glass bead impregnated) light weight bowl, just seems like an entirely different guitar.

And ... just to hedge my bet, MF had a crazy sale on the 2178 ultra ($439) so I got that one. surely there had to be a dog amongst these three - pretty safe bet I thought.....

Crap (or jump for joy) each one turned out to be an overwelming winner. the 2178 ultra (sunburst) by the way 'perhaps' outclasses the 1778Ts in tone - it is OPEN and booming bass - I think it out-Martins the D28 - it is simply louder, more bassy and better harmonics than the either 1778 - the neck is 5 layer, but nato - not magogany (and you can really see the dif - and the fretboard is rosewood - and the bridge looks like it but is actually walnut - neither look nice, but the sunburst is GREAT on it -

so - three guitars and no way of eliminting any of them .. I'm screwed!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
stephent28
Posted 2008-11-22 3:42 PM (#10509 - in reply to #10508)
Subject: Re: I'm screwed .... or blessed, I honestly can't determine which it is???

:cool: Welcome to our world!
bvince
Posted 2008-11-22 4:23 PM (#10510 - in reply to #10508)
Subject: Re: I'm screwed .... or blessed, I honestly can't determine which it is???

It's an appetite that can never be truly satisfied.
fillhixx
Posted 2008-11-22 4:30 PM (#10511 - in reply to #10508)

This is how males get the nesting syndrome.
Building a proper environment for the collection.
bvince
Posted 2008-11-22 4:39 PM (#10512 - in reply to #10508)

I hope to spend this winter building my nest by converting a basement bedroom into a music room. It seems like the environmental conditions are very good there for the guitars. (good humidity and constant temperatures) I can also crank up the sound as loud as I want without receiving too many complaints from upstairs.
CanterburyStrings
Posted 2008-11-22 5:19 PM (#10513 - in reply to #10508)

So, if you need the money, sell the car. Better for your health (lots of excersise) and better for your mental health too. Music will keep you sane. (Unless you spend too much time with the crazies here!)
MWoody
Posted 2008-11-22 5:35 PM (#10514 - in reply to #10508)

Ovationluver,
You nailed the "each one has something to offer" syndrome.

This tells me that we need to plan another Local OFC thing soon.

Let me see what the SWMBL&H says. I'm thinking New Years Eve/Day or something like that.

Let me throw in this pitch:

We will video each member showing what they like or what they play, really no pressure, just recorded for history and such.

More later if it goes over. At least we can seranade the Ferry Terminal sometime!
ovationluver
Posted 2008-11-23 12:20 AM (#10515 - in reply to #10508)

Originally posted by MWoody:
Let me throw in this pitch:

We will video each member showing what they like or what they play, really no pressure, just recorded for history and such.

More later if it goes over. At least we can seranade the Ferry Terminal sometime!
sounds like a plan, cept i'm traveling til about jan 6
dxdgenert
Posted 2008-11-23 9:55 PM (#10516 - in reply to #10508)

I completely concur with you about the 2178. Just picked mine up from MF for... $377 ;) (they matched a Guitar Center website price).

Very good low-end and the highs are not as "shrill" as I thought they would be. In all, I am very happy with my first Ovation after coming from a Takamine EF325SRC (dreadnought cutaway, solid Spruce top, Bubunga back and sides) that was destroyed.
ovationluver
Posted 2008-11-24 2:58 AM (#10517 - in reply to #10508)

Originally posted by dxdgenert:
I completely concur with you about the 2178. Just picked mine up from MF for... $377 ;) (they matched a Guitar Center website price).

that's a crazy low price --- it would look sooo much better with ebony bridge/fretboard ... I noticed the bridge is practically raw wood, I'ved toyed with the idea of using a red stain to make my sunburst .... regardless - unbelievable guitar - for any price really .
Damon67
Posted 2008-11-24 4:58 AM (#10518 - in reply to #10508)

Where are the pictures of these guitars Joe? I don't recall seeing them. They don't exist in my mind until I see pictures. Or until you bring them to my house :D
dxdgenert
Posted 2008-11-24 10:30 AM (#10519 - in reply to #10508)

Originally posted by ovationluver:

that's a crazy low price --- it would look sooo much better with ebony bridge/fretboard ... I noticed the bridge is practically raw wood, I'ved toyed with the idea of using a red stain to make my sunburst .... regardless - unbelievable guitar - for any price really .
Yeah price was really good. The bridge was ridiculously dry. I gave it a healthy dose of lemon oil and it looks much better.
ovationluver
Posted 2008-11-24 11:46 PM (#10520 - in reply to #10508)

2178. Just picked mine up from MF for... $377 Yeah price was really good. The bridge was ridiculously dry. I gave it a healthy dose of lemon oil and it looks much better. [/QB]
what's the specifics? sunburst? oppro? was it used or new?? have you plugged in yet?

I found the sunburst on my to be MOST excelent - I wish the neck was a nicer piece of mahogany, but - that's just stupid picky - I can't believe how great it sounds, loud, open and bassy --- if only I could play better .. :(
dxdgenert
Posted 2008-11-26 1:25 AM (#10521 - in reply to #10508)

Ultra 2178 in Black Cherry Sunburst (transparent red with black ring). OP Pro pre-amp. Brand new in the box (NOT a scratch 'n dent). Have plugged it in but not sure that my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is the essential acoustic amp. Does sound great, however.
ovationluver
Posted 2008-11-26 2:23 AM (#10522 - in reply to #10508)

Ultra 2178 in Black Cherry Sunburst (transparent red with black ring). OP Pro pre-amp. Brand new in the box (NOT a scratch 'n dent). Have plugged it in but not sure that my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is the essential acoustic amp. Does sound great, however.
mine was same 100% perfecto - althought i'll say even if it did have flaws, the sound is so good - i'd never send it back. sounds great plugged in or acoustic. i've got a little berringer acoustic 15 amp (I think 10 or 15) the cherry burst is gorgous. the tag says it's a delux - which according to the ovation site means it's got a AAA top to boot - it just keeps getting better.

selling my martin d18ge because of it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)