The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Left elbow pain..

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

bvince
Posted 2008-11-24 7:16 AM (#10344 - in reply to #10319)
Subject: Re: Left elbow pain..

I've been dealing with the same type of pain for the last 4 years. I went to a neurosurgeon who diagnosed it as "golfer's elbow" and told me to give it a break and stop doing pull-ups. Well I did all that and it is still there. It sometimes feels like someone wacked my funny bone with a ballpin hammer. The only thing that has worked for the pain is narcotics (the legal ones) but then I can't function, so now I'm just living with it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
sycamore
Posted 2008-11-25 11:44 AM (#10345 - in reply to #10319)

Have you changed anything e.g the guitar(s) you play? Having got a 12-string I find everything feels different in the fret hand/arm and it could get sore if I played too long. I need to develop a new playing position.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2008-11-25 11:50 AM (#10346 - in reply to #10319)

Try Hot/Cold water immersions.

First: soak your elbow in as hot water that you can stand.
Second: after a couple minutes, plunge it into ICE water, then repeat several times.

Finish with a cold soak and then a loose wool wrapping to keep warm.
Slipkid
Posted 2008-11-25 11:57 AM (#10347 - in reply to #10319)

Let's find the lowest common denominator and go from there.
Ya got two choices...

A) See a doctor

B) Continue to solicite medical advice from a guitar fan-club site.

Choose wisely grasshopper.

p.s.---- I'll tell you from personal experience that the temporary and minor discomfort of a cortizone injection was well worth it.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2008-11-25 12:04 PM (#10348 - in reply to #10319)

Ya know Brad,

The only "quackieness" I've ever experienced is from a plugged-in Taylor. Ovations never have "quackiness"....so, what's yer point? :rolleyes:
wilblee
Posted 2008-11-25 12:22 PM (#10349 - in reply to #10319)

First - I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE.

Sorry 'bout that - long story...

Now, I had the same thing, very severe, couldn't pick up anything with my left arm. It spread to my left wrist. Then my right arm (which I had been using exclusively, to compensate) started to hurt. Cortisone would knock it back temporarily, sometimes, but it always came back, quicker each time. Then I went on a low carb diet and it went away. That Christmas the family and I went to visit my parents. We happily declared their house a "diet free zone" and merrily [over] indulged in fudge, pies, eggnog, etc., etc. and the pain came roaring back. I went ahead and cut the carbs back out, while still in the DFZ (much to my tongue's dismay) and the pain subsided. I stayed low-carb for several months after that.

Now this was all years ago and I am certainly no longer eating low carb as a lifestyle. BUT - whenever I start getting a twinge, I cut the carbs 'til it goes away - usually 2 days to a week - YMMV. I would say that in the last 5 years, I've had to do the low carb thing 3 times.
Steve
Posted 2008-11-25 12:36 PM (#10350 - in reply to #10319)

Tim and Wilblee, thanks for the advice. I've had a bad cold for two days so I haven't played and it's not as sore. Hot shower and rest has helped.

Sycamore, I've been working on a series of
4-finger intervals and scales that have been substantially more difficult than basic chord progressions. So, maybe I'm pushing the envelope these days..
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)