The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
1988 Collector Neck adjustment

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

JeffreyD
Posted 2008-11-24 7:38 PM (#10082)
Subject: 1988 Collector Neck adjustment

I just took a 1988 Collector in trade for my 2080.

When it arrived after spending a few days at 20 something degrees, I can't get the high E to stop buzzing. I know I can add a shim, but where is the truss rod adjustment on these? In the body?

Not sure of what I think of a shallow body. I took it in trade to give to my grandson for Christmas, but not sure I will now....

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-11-24 7:44 PM (#10083 - in reply to #10082)
Subject: Re: 1988 Collector Neck adjustment

I'm guessing, but if it doesn't have a Truss-Rod Cover on the headstock it is inside the bowl.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-11-24 7:47 PM (#10084 - in reply to #10082)

Should be an allen screw at the base of the neck inside the back hatch. I'd stop by on Wednesday, but my wife's in a hurry to make Portland in time for dinner. I'll see if we'll have time to stop and drop off an allen wrench. How about Sunday afternoon on the way back?
EDIT: You should have the right allen wrench from you 08 Collector or 2080. Let me know if you don't.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2008-11-25 8:45 AM (#10085 - in reply to #10082)

Mark is right. Adjustment is done inside the body, and it's a lot easier done with one of the long wrenches.
JeffreyD
Posted 2008-11-25 10:28 AM (#10086 - in reply to #10082)

Thanks everyone....Last night I tore into it and did find the allen head inside the body. I have concluded that shallow body's suck to work on.

I have a new problem. While new strings and a few hours in our low humidity helped the neck unwind a bit, the TR still needs to be loosened and I cannot get it free with the standard allen wrench.

Are there any tricks...guess I could purchase a socket and use extensions.

Beyond that....any other advice is appreciated. It does have a top crack (through the wood) that appears to be glued with super glue to stabilize it. Electronics work fine and the action (with the new strings) is pretty low.

As a shallow bowl, it is pretty weak acoustically, but remember I am comparing it to the guitars I own...1537, 2080, and 2008C, so that is a pretty unfair comparison (bringing a knife to a gun fight).

The Op24 electronics do a credible job from what I can tell. The bridge is well worn, which brings up another question....I have a new bridge/pickup that was sent as a replacement for one on one of my VIP guitars. Will this bridge plug in to the Op24? Then there is probably the whole question of adjusting it for intonation and such (best left to a luthier).

Lastly......in the condition described (headstock ear repair that is visible, crack in top, otherwise in good shape) what is this thing worth in case I decide to sell it.

Thanks for your input.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-11-25 10:45 AM (#10087 - in reply to #10082)

I shopped pretty hard for the 83 collector I got my daughter. No cracks, but a big gouge in the neck that I did a good repair job on with paint and clear fingernail polish. I had about $450 into it by the time I finished. The top crack and ear crack will probably cost a big discount for yours.
JeffreyD
Posted 2008-11-25 5:41 PM (#10088 - in reply to #10082)

Just a bump on the "how to part". Can't get the TR nut to move with my Adamas allen wrench. Any suggestions so I don't break anything?

Thanks.
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-11-25 8:42 PM (#10089 - in reply to #10082)

You are supposed to do TR adjustments with the strings tight, but given your difficulties, it may be worth backing the strings off to see if that loosens up the TR. It's potentially been 25 years since that baby was last adjusted. Maybe even a tiny drop of oil or WD40 on the outside of the TR bolt, applied with a wooden skewer or something similar. Leave that to soak in for a few hours then try again.
JeffreyD
Posted 2008-11-25 11:22 PM (#10090 - in reply to #10082)

Success,

I had a driver set with the right size socket for the TR nut. Took a couple of extensions and my rachet, and she came loose.

Quarter turn and the neck straightened right out. Might even need to pull a shim, but think I will leave it as it is for now.

Thanks for all the help
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)