The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Am I mad?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

dweezil
Posted 2008-11-26 7:32 AM (#9879)
Subject: Am I mad?

As mentioned before I'm not a collector for collecting sake. I like to play all my Os. Having been lucky enough to be able to try and compare I think I'm going to be ditching a couple more (already dumped a 6778LX, Elite 686, 01C and Adamas 1597). All great guitars but by comparison to my others I just wouldn't play them.

So I'm considering to let go the 84C and 07C.

Reasons:

84C, prefer the Elite 5868 Walnut for feel and tone. Both SSBs and whilst very similar the Walnut wins out, just!

07C, if it were not for the contour bowl then I would keep it. I keep comparing it to the 03C and it's just not as good. The 06C is in danger of going for the same reason.

So, am I mad? Should I hang and try to love these?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-11-26 7:47 AM (#9880 - in reply to #9879)
Subject: Re: Am I mad?

Dweez, just a personal opinion; You should try to hold on to them until the market gets a little better. You would have to give them away the way things are now. Just put them in the case in the closet. Pull them out in a couple of months, and you may be surprised how much they, (or your perception of them), has changed.
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-11-26 7:49 AM (#9881 - in reply to #9879)

We're ALL mad, so why are you even asking ???

The 84C has some cult following here on the OFC and many people consider it the best of the SSB guitars. If it were me I'd keep that one. Or at least don't let it go cheap. It's a very desirable guitar.

The rest? Sell 'em. I used to get emotionally attached, but if they'd be better off in someone elses hands then do it. Last count I've owned 119 different ovation guitars and right now I'm down to just a very few, maybe 10 or so. That's a lot of "ovation goodbyes". Some were stellar guitars, some not. Some I swore I'd never part with, some I regret buying in the first place, some I regret ever selling.

Life goes on. At the end of the day they are just guitars.

Toby
Jewel's Mom a/k/a Joisey Goil #1
Posted 2008-11-26 7:53 AM (#9882 - in reply to #9879)

I don't think so, Dweeze;
MusicMike has my Viper now because I wasn't playing her, and she deserved to be used and appreciated in the genre she was built for; of the O's I have now, 1 gets played regularly, 2 get played fairly regularly as the need arises (different tunings, genres, etc.) and 2 don't get played a whole lot. But, I have a real affinity with those last two (2/3 of the "Triplets") and can't bear the idea of parting with them.
If you evaluate them in the areas of both usage and "heart hold" and find that they don't really connect somehow, it does make sense to let them follow someone else home.

--Karen
G8r
Posted 2008-11-26 9:09 AM (#9883 - in reply to #9879)

Originally posted by Trader Jim:
Dweez, just a personal opinion; You should try to hold on to them until the market gets a little better. You would have to give them away the way things are now. Just put them in the case in the closet. Pull them out in a couple of months, and you may be surprised how much they, (or your perception of them), has changed.
It is to laugh (c.f. keeping guitars ).

Seriously dweez, if you want wall artwork, keep 'em. But if you want guitars to play that suit your ear, style & comfort, and they just don't do it for you, send them off. But TJ's right - unless you have a pressing need to unload them right now I'd hang onto them until the markets settle down & more people are comfortable about parting with some cash.
gh1
Posted 2008-11-26 9:50 AM (#9884 - in reply to #9879)

I don't think you're "mad". I'm not a collector either.

In my case i had collected quite a few guitars -- basically looking for a "keeper". I have limited needs, unlike some who play all kinds of music in various situations.

I really only need one guitar, maybe two if i include an electric to noodle around with.

I got pretty attached to that collection even though i didn't play many. Things came up and forced the sale of some of it so i could cover some expenses. A few months after the initial "grief" it actually felt good to be rid of them. i have since liquidated all but a few, from 17 down to four and two are slated for the block.

Dunno, maybe just me, but minimalism feels pretty good.

_____
gh1
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-11-26 10:06 AM (#9885 - in reply to #9879)

If you have seriously considered getting rid of any guitar, then you probably should; especially in light of your definitive preferences. ;)

Just take TJ's advise and hold off a bit.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2008-11-26 10:08 AM (#9886 - in reply to #9879)

I used to disagree with people who said I was a guitar collector. I didn't think that if I played them every day I was a collector. But with the last one I decided that I had an unreasonable amount of guitars. I'm to the point Dave was, however. I just can't bear to part with any of them. I promise myself I'll use them more, take lessons, or something, but that's like promising myself I'll get more exercise. If you have one you don't need and someone else things he or she needs it more, sell it. I would just hate to see them go to someone who just wants to flip it for a buck.
Patch
Posted 2008-11-26 11:59 AM (#9887 - in reply to #9879)

I gotta agree with the Trader on this one Dweez. If you can hold out, do so. You certainly won't get your money out of them in this market.

Of course, if you're willing to sell at a loss, call me first.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2008-11-26 5:04 PM (#9888 - in reply to #9879)

Of course you're mad. That's how you passed the OFC Entrance Exam.
MWoody
Posted 2008-11-26 6:33 PM (#9889 - in reply to #9879)

"Of course you're mad. That's how you passed the OFC Entrance Exam"

Now for the course "Trader 101"! PM sent
dweezil
Posted 2008-11-28 3:10 AM (#9890 - in reply to #9879)

Been devoting some time to the 07C in hope to "get to know it better".

I ought to point out that even though I've been playing guitar for many years I'm new to acoustics, they are very different beasts to electics.

I have discovered this...

I really like the plugged in sound of the 07C (Zoom A2.1U --> AAD Cub), however felt that I'm kinda fighting aqgainst the guiter. Hard to describe; it's like the tension on the strings just feels like hard work compared to other guitars.

I like my action low as possible as I play fingerstyle and don't subscribe to the "the heavier the better" argument for string gauges. (The legend that is Adrian Legg uses 10s, which surprised and warmed me). Also I'm mainly playing for recording purposes so don't need a loud unplugged sound. I wasn't too sure what the gauge was on the 07C (I guessed 11 but maybe it was 12).

So as I say been playing it execlusively over the last few days (working on some Peppino tunes) and started to feel less bothered by the contour, at least it's a nice solid mass to lean on! Then I figured that it would be nice if the action was a little lower and the strings lighter. There is only one shim and it cannot be removed else the strings will touch the bridge! So on go the 10s and HOLY COW!

LOW, LOW, SUPER DUPER EASY FINGERPICKING ACTION!

Now I get the reason for the contour, even with light strings the bass is good.

So stick 10s on all me gits you say! Well here's the weird bit, the 03C has 12s and it's sings and it EASY to play. Weird.

So for all those that made it to the end of this ramble here's the thing (and I'm a little embaressed to have just discovered this) -- lighter strings not only change the action, but can have a MAJOR effect on the overall feel of the guitar.

Now I don't feel like I'm fighting against the 07C. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Perhaps I was feeling a little guilty about having so many guitars but they are all very different. But I think it healthy to continue to play each one and objectively try and consider whether it's different enough to warrent not selling it.

Phew...
FlySig
Posted 2008-11-28 10:02 AM (#9891 - in reply to #9879)

Originally posted by dweezil:

I really like the plugged in sound of the 07C (Zoom A2.1U --> AAD Cub), however felt that I'm kinda fighting aqgainst the guiter. Hard to describe; it's like the tension on the strings just feels like hard work compared to other guitars.
That's an interesting observation. I find mine to play like most of the other O's I've played, maybe a tad easier. The nut is cut a bit lower than normal factory standards. But my 6778LX plays even easier. The nut is even lower on the 6778LX than it is on the 07C, having been in to a good luthier for a setup.

So, my conclusion is that having good nuts is the key to getting excellent action.
2ifbyC
Posted 2008-11-28 10:10 AM (#9892 - in reply to #9879)

Originally posted by FlySig:
Originally posted by dweezil:
So, my conclusion is that having good nuts is the key to getting excellent action.
Oh my, here we go...

Nice write-up dweez!
dweezil
Posted 2008-11-28 10:20 AM (#9893 - in reply to #9879)

I forgot to add I gave it the laxative treatment too!
MWoody
Posted 2008-11-28 12:50 PM (#9894 - in reply to #9879)

As I get older I am finding that lubrication is a good thing in almost any application.
Especially Fretboards!

Son: "When I grow up I want to be a Musician!"

Mother: "Now Son, you know it's one or the other and not both."

Change is good.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)