The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Any lawyers out there - I got a couple qu's regarding law school -

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

sligoman
Posted 2008-11-27 3:15 PM (#9850 - in reply to #9825)
Subject: Re: Any lawyers out there - I got a couple qu's regarding law school -

I have a partner who had an Alvarez and replaced it with a Taylor which he doesn't play much. But he plays heck out of his 3 strats and a Les Paul. He'd probably tell you to go to medical school. As would I.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
moody, p.i.
Posted 2008-11-27 3:23 PM (#9851 - in reply to #9825)

I know more lawyers who are trying to get out of that field.

If you want to be a doctor or a lawyer, get into it because you love the work. It's very difficult to make a lot of money in either profession these days. And by and large, in either field, you start out, financially, in the hole with student loans up the wazoo......
ovationluver
Posted 2008-11-28 4:35 AM (#9852 - in reply to #9825)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
I've known and worked for lawyers until I'm sick of lawyers.

Actually, most of them are pretty decent people. Like everybody else, there are good ones, bad ones, and ugly ones.

I do know one lawyer who was proud of owning an expensive Taylor and thought it was a good thing that he kept it carefully in it's case and didn't play it much.

I don't work for him anymore. We had some conflict issues......
what did you do for lawyers (hitman)?
ovationluver
Posted 2008-11-28 4:37 AM (#9853 - in reply to #9825)

Originally posted by sligoman:
I have a partner who had an Alvarez and replaced it with a Taylor which he doesn't play much. But he plays heck out of his 3 strats and a Les Paul. He'd probably tell you to go to medical school. As would I.
actually- I was thinking more along the line of a paralegal job
ovationluver
Posted 2008-11-28 4:43 AM (#9854 - in reply to #9825)

Originally posted by stonebobbo:
I think we've run most of the lawyers off ... except the ones with Porsches. Ego problems, you see. I'm no lawyer, but I've paid them a lot of money over the years and now have got a couple of them in the family. They can be handy to have around. I know lots of people who went to law school. Not many of them play guitars tho'. Except for the group The Firm, who sued the other group The Firm who was a supergroup but everyone's forgotten them now. I wonder if the original group got their name back now and if they had to pay back the money they got for giving it up in the first place. They probably found a legal way around that, being lawyers and all. Back on subject, I feel as qualified to answer your questions about law school as almost any other off-topic subject that we all take our stabs at here. So fire away. I even met a judge (sort of a super lawyer) who plays guitar over at Moody's house. Two or three times even. Except now that I think about it, he had a Martin. A nice one. He probably hangs out on the Martin board.
I have to admit, after reading your comment my head hirts.

it's a curious thing, but there's a ton of what seem to be very good Law Bar review materials out there - I was curious about supplementing some paralegal training with those materials. Examples are: BARBRI, PMBR, Fleming, Sum & Substance - almost seems like you could learn everything about lawyering from you home. too bad they make you go to ABA law school - they didn't use to do that. Neither Abe Lincoln and Clarence Darrel graduated from law school.
ovationluver
Posted 2008-11-28 4:46 AM (#9855 - in reply to #9825)

Originally posted by Losov:
Rent "The Paper Chase"
was thinking about "my cousin vinnie" :)
Losov
Posted 2008-11-28 7:12 AM (#9856 - in reply to #9825)

Look at the reality of being an associate. Intern at a big firm, or get a job in the mail room of one. See what these kids do. It does NOT involve much crossing of witnesses and reducing them to tears on the stand. It does involve being pretty much chained to your desk.
FlySig
Posted 2008-11-28 10:30 AM (#9857 - in reply to #9825)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:

If you want to be a doctor or a lawyer, get into it because you love the work.
I think that is the best advice in general. Get into a field because you like the work, and you like the other quality of life aspects of it.

Do you like to control your schedule? Do you like to have weekends off? Do you want to make money, and don't mind working long hours? Do you work best alone on a detailed task, or do you thrive in a busy environment? Do you want to be self employed? Do you want to work in a large corporation environment, or do you like the small family business atmosphere?

Once you have a real idea of what your personal priorities and desires are, short and long term, you can more accurately analyze what kinds of jobs or careers are a good candidate for you.
an4340
Posted 2008-11-28 11:12 AM (#9858 - in reply to #9825)

If you want a paralegal job, then apply for one. You could probably do it part time. If you like it, then you'll have to decide if you want to do litigation or corporate, and if you want to work in the private sector or government. I know some paralegals who work in the corporate sector, private and make good money, and don't have the stress that the lawyers have. On the other hand, those guys on wall street are cutting back. Maybe, you could try a bankruptcy firm, or legal aide or maybe, with the feds, they're going to need a bunch of legal people to clean up this bail-out mess. That's probably what I would aim for, or law enforcement. This advise just pertains if you want a job, not meant as career advise. Suerte.
fillhixx
Posted 2008-11-28 12:03 PM (#9859 - in reply to #9825)

Don't do what you want to do.
Do what you HAVE to do.

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is finding out what the hell that is. Few take the challenge.
Joe Rotax
Posted 2008-11-29 12:19 PM (#9860 - in reply to #9825)

Originally posted by ovationluver:

there's a ton of what seem to be very good Law Bar review materials out there - I was curious about supplementing some paralegal training with those materials.

- almost seems like you could learn everything about lawyering from you home. too bad they make you go to ABA law school

- they didn't use to do that. Neither Abe Lincoln and Clarence Darrel graduated from law school.
Bar ad material can be very useful.

You will not learn everything that you need to know through home study.

The practice of law has changed a lot since Lincoln and Darrow were at it.
ovationluver
Posted 2008-12-02 8:23 PM (#9861 - in reply to #9825)

thanks for input guys - (except fillhixx) :)
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-12-02 8:29 PM (#9862 - in reply to #9825)

One thing that keeps me from going in the Legal-business is I think they would check your past criminal records. That kind of closed mindedness would probably limit my prospects. Even though I have acted as my own lawyer a bunch of times, and got outta doing time! (Better than a Public Defender)

You figure that kind of previous experience would be a Plus... But Nooooo! :mad:

[So Ovationluver, ya' gonna go see Damon perform?]
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)