The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Preamp Swap-A-Rama (OpPro, VIP, Studio, OP30)

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

FlySig
Posted 2008-11-28 12:32 PM (#9565)
Subject: Preamp Swap-A-Rama (OpPro, VIP, Studio, OP30)

I received the OpPro Studio from Al to retrofit into the '07C. This has now turned into a fun game of swapping preamps in various guitars to see how they sound.

Preamps are starting to look a lot like effects pedals: mix and match depending on what effects or tones you want. With the IDEA preamp the concept is even more alluring.

First off, swapping is as easy as popping a new preamp into the existing can. The OpPro, OpPro Studio, and VIP all fit in the exact same can. If the guitar doesn't have the XLR out, it doesn't matter because the regular 1/4" jack still works normally. The Op30 connector from preamp to can is slightly different and probably wouldn't electrically mate properly to an OpPro/VIP/Studio, but the good news is that the preamp kit from Al includes a new can which drops into place in about 30 seconds. Unscrew the old can, gently pull it out, unplug the pickup and output, plug them into the new can, put the new can in and tighten the screws.

The OpPro Studio is a great unit in the '07C. The compressor works very nicely, and the aural exciter circuit adds some nice acousticness to the plugged in sound. This is going to be the default go-to preamp for live performances.

The VIP didn't excite me much in the '07C, which is why I got the Studio. But when put into the Elite LX (6778LX) the VIP really makes the guitar come to life. It sounds a lot better in the Elite than it does in the '07C. Even without adding in the images, the VIP sounds better than the stock OpPro in that guitar. Maybe I won't be selling this guitar after all.

There are a lot of combinations yet to try. There's the 1778T-RF with OP30, and a 2078T with OpPro, and all those different preamps to swap around.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
bauerhillboy
Posted 2008-11-28 3:47 PM (#9566 - in reply to #9565)
Subject: Re: Preamp Swap-A-Rama (OpPro, VIP, Studio, OP30)

I think they could make a lot of people happy (and make some money) if they'd use just ONE can, and lay these different preamps out on a web page with comparisons and prices. That way we could buy what we want instead of going about this in sort of a back-door way.

Anybody out there listening??? ONE CAN!!!
dweezil
Posted 2008-11-29 5:28 AM (#9567 - in reply to #9565)

Thats very interesting. I don't think much of the image sounds on the VIP and like the idea of an exciter on board. So you still have to swap out the can on the 07C?

How much are they?
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-11-29 7:31 AM (#9568 - in reply to #9565)

Originally posted by bauerhillboy:
I think they could make a lot of people happy (and make some money) if they'd use just ONE can, and lay these different preamps out on a web page with comparisons and prices. That way we could buy what we want instead of going about this in sort of a back-door way.

Anybody out there listening??? ONE CAN!!!
Agree on the CAN thing, but as far as comparison data between the preamps have you looked on the Ovation webpage? They do a GREAT job of this in my opinion and describe the functions and specs of each preamp in very good detail. FAR FAR BETTER than they do for their guitars.
FlySig
Posted 2008-11-29 10:13 AM (#9569 - in reply to #9565)

Originally posted by dweezil:
Thats very interesting. I don't think much of the image sounds on the VIP and like the idea of an exciter on board. So you still have to swap out the can on the 07C?

How much are they?
Dweez, just call Al and get the Studio! Email him for his price, it is a lot less than the $300 list.

The compressor would rate as very good. It only has one adjustment, the rest has been tweaked already at the factory to match Ovation characteristics. The exciter I would rate as good. Less is more with it, meaning that if it is cranked up it sounds pretty overdone. But with the compressor at about mid point and the exciter at 1/4 to 1/3, it makes the guitar sound much more acoustic. for basic playing. For solos, more compression and more exciter doesn't sound bad.

This preamp has killed the plan to buy a good compressor pedal and a good aural exciter pedal.

No, no swap on the can in an '07C to drop in the OpPro Studio. Plus, NO DUMMY PLUG to use the tuner on the Studio!!!!

So far, as it has worked for me, the OpPro, the VIP, and the Studio all drop into each other's cans. The problem is with the Op30, which has a different spacing and count on the connector, so it would require a new can. However, installing a new can takes literally less than 3 minutes, and all you have to be able to do is operate a standard phillips screwdriver.

The OpPro Studio kit from Al includes the preamp, a new can, and an XLR jack kit.

To install the Studio into the '07C, just pop out the VIP like you are going to change the battery, and pop in the Studio. You won't need the new can or XLR kit. Those items will work with the VIP, so you could sell your VIP as a complete install kit, or, you could install it into another guitar that has no electronics at all (like one of Al's export market Adamas).
dweezil
Posted 2008-11-29 12:27 PM (#9570 - in reply to #9565)

FlySig,

thanks, that is so cool. I am having a "love affair" with my 07C at the moment, it's really ticking all the boxes for me apart from the fact that I never use the image sounds.

It sounds like if I sell the VIP it won't cost all that much to do this. Nice...
FlySig
Posted 2008-11-29 12:32 PM (#9571 - in reply to #9565)

I would guess your net cost of installing the Studio would be well under $100.

Man, I love my '07C, too! Al's export market texture top Adamas are giving me gas, but every time I really think about it, I realize that the '07C totally fills my needs.
dweezil
Posted 2008-11-29 12:40 PM (#9572 - in reply to #9565)

In fact the combined whammo of the 5868 Walnut, 03C and 07C is a killer combo.

The 06C was a very recent addition and when I get round to giving it the same treatment I gave the 07C recently I'm gonna be like a dog with 4 dicks.

Then there's the 97C wide nut that's on it's way.

The 84C and 93C are now the beaters!!!

I really must dig out the 1537 one day ;) I must say I am blessed with a range of KILLER guitars to express myself on, it *REALLY* inspires me to play and get better and playing and getting is what I'm doing!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)