The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Magnum Prices going up?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

AngeloOliveria
Posted 2004-06-15 2:39 PM (#168364)
Subject: Magnum Prices going up?

I know I just made a post about this guitar, but its by far my favorite Ovation. So chances are I'll end up making a few more topics about it before I'm through

Anywho, I've been watching the prices of Magnums for about a year. When I first started seeing them, they had were going for about $250 on ebay. Then recently on ebay i've seen them go for as much as $500. And now I just checked gBase.com and there are dealers selling Magnum I's for over $1000. Is there a reason that they have went up so much? Are those dealers just greedy, or is there more of a demand for them mags recently?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-06-15 4:34 PM (#168365 - in reply to #168364)
Subject: Re: Magnum Prices going up?

I don't know if it's anything special, I'm certainly not getting those prices, but they do seem to be creeping up. They are a very under-rated (like most Ovations) amp. If Reggea music gets popular again that will drive them up, and it's possible that the death metal crowd may be stumbling on them as they have so much low end and can appearently be tuned lower too.
cliff
Posted 2004-06-15 4:48 PM (#168366 - in reply to #168364)

Miles, I take it that at a time they were popular with reggae bands, as the tag on the one by my house said "great reggae bass". I was never into the whole reggae scene, so it woulda' gotten by me.

. . . I know it's all subjective, but would you feel that $750's a fair price? It's not pristine, but seems like a decent specimen for it's age.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-06-15 5:33 PM (#168367 - in reply to #168364)

I have a Magnum 1, 2 & 4, and in total they cost me less than $1000 including tax, import duty and shipping to the UK. Ebay is never a reliable barometer, though it seems $350-500 is the current going rate, but like most Ovation solidbodies they should fetch more. In the UK they go for around £500 but sit around in stores unsold priced at up to a grand GBP, though relative rareity is a factor over here. Regardless of the continent dealers will always ask top dollar but ultimately the consumer will determine the price. Given the quality, design, construction, electronics & materials (find another bass from that era with a body made from a single piece of Honduran mahogany and a neck with graphite reinforcement) $500+ is a steal.
Beal
Posted 2004-06-15 8:15 PM (#168368 - in reply to #168364)

I agree they should be up around a grand but the market seems to be $500 +/-.
Pete J
Posted 2005-06-20 11:43 AM (#168369 - in reply to #168364)

Hi Paul - i have a Mag 3 and was wondering if the neck is also Honduran Mahogany ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)