The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Ovation amp questions

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

savannah944
Posted 2004-11-08 7:44 PM (#168099)
Subject: Ovation amp questions

Hello,
I have an amplifier that I need history on. It is a half stack with the following model numbers:
head -- k-6002
cabinet -- 6107

I have scoured the internet and even written Ovation...no one seems to know anything about this amp. It truly is one of a kind. The cabinet is padded and sounds really nice. The head works perfectly and even has a built in tuner. What I would like to know is, when were they were produced? I'm thinking mid to late sixties? I think The Beatles used it for a little while for something??? Also, why is it so rare? Did they only produce a small amount? Also, what is a fully functional example like mine worth?

Thanks all for your time,
--Jonathan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dcrunner
Posted 2004-11-08 7:57 PM (#168100 - in reply to #168099)
Subject: Re: Ovation amp questions

If you could put a picture of it in the member access area maybe someone more knowledgable would be able to help. You don't see too many Ovation amps these (or any) days.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-11-08 8:09 PM (#168101 - in reply to #168099)

I'll have to look up the production dates, but as a collector of these amps I can tell you "why are they so rare" is the million dollar question. They did in fact make quite a few and there were quite a few models also. Based on how many items of little value, and small production numbers one can find on eBay, you would think an amp as good as these would show up more often, if at all.
savannah944
Posted 2004-11-08 9:33 PM (#168102 - in reply to #168099)

Thanks for your replies...I have uploaded photos under my screen name -- savannah944 --

Sorry, some are a little blurry...but in order to take them this evening the speed was too slow. Not bad though...let me know what you guys think and I can post other pictures if requested.
xbj
Posted 2004-11-08 9:53 PM (#168103 - in reply to #168099)

Wow, you've got a really nice example of the '68 line in excellent condition!! Best I've ever seen, actually. The reason there aren't so many of them left around is actually an indication to how good they were. They basically got used, and used a lot, although not by any major groups except for the sole exception of The Partridge Family. And because of the deeply padded tolex, and in the case of the earlier late-60's models, no corner protectors, most of them ended up looking like junk after a few years of even casual use, sadly.

And because they utilized "advanced solid-state technology", and not tubes, they weren't able to give the Marshall sound that was coming to dominate rock and would do so for the next 30 years. So while a trashed Marshall was still in demand, and in some cases, worth even more 30 years later, not so for ANY of the solid state lines, like Kustom, Acoustic, or Heil. It's almost as difficult to find any of them around, although the Zodiac naugahyde made people hold onto the Kustoms long after the amps had conked out.

As to value... hmm, that's a toughie. Ovation collectors might be the only ones interested, but then Ovation collectors are well-aware of backroom pawn shop and music store basement prices (where an amp has sat for 30 years unsold and the owner will PAY you to carry it away.) So I'd have to say it's whatever you get offered from folks here for it, and if you can get two or more interested and bidding against each other, you'll get closer to its true value.

But it won't be much, unfortunately. Now, vintage gear in pristine shape as was used on the Partridge Family show would have an enormous value for those of us in the club that came to Ovation because of that show, but this was the line before the '71 and '72 line that was used on the show. And in my 3-4 year search, I only ran into three amp-speaker setups, and all of them were complete trashed. Cheaper to build replicas, which I did...

Now I'm too young to remember, and it's not yet available on DVD, but some of this line might have been seen on the Glen Cambpell Goodtime Hour as background?

Les
:)
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-11-08 10:21 PM (#168104 - in reply to #168099)

Les, it's cool to see you posting and I'll look forward to more pics of your project.

Oddly, while Glen Campbell played Ovation guitars, and I do have a promo photo of him with a Thead, next to an Ovation amp, I don't think he ever really used Ovation amps. In a copy of the Goodtime Hour broadcast on CMT a few years ago, while he was playing a Thead when jamming with Ray Charles, you could see a Fender Hot Rod under Ray's piano. As far as I know, he's used Hot Rods for a whole lotta years.
Standingovation
Posted 2004-11-08 10:27 PM (#168105 - in reply to #168099)

Interestingly I've got the same head, but mine has a sticker over the model number that says "The Cat" and mine has E tune light instead of G tune.

Standingovation
Posted 2004-11-08 10:33 PM (#168106 - in reply to #168099)

Actually I now realize yours is model 6002 and mine is 6001. The 6001 is billed as "Lead/Rhythem" and has E tuner. Yours is called "Organ/Bass" and has G tuner. Also yours has pull swith reverb shape and fuzz shift. Mine just has straight reverb and fuzz. Nice amps. As far as value, I paid $25. for mine.
savannah944
Posted 2005-05-26 7:53 PM (#168107 - in reply to #168099)

Hi,
I orginally found this site trying to find out about my ovation amp. I have decided to sell it and thought I would let the pros know. I am hoping it will go to someone who will truly appreciate and enjoy it.

Pre-Amp = K-6002
Cabinet = K-6100

I have it listed on ebay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7326138046&rd=1&...

Take care,
Jonathan
Jérôme
Posted 2005-05-27 2:14 PM (#168108 - in reply to #168099)

Hi,

Bruce, one of the OFC members, has sent me recently 12 very interesting Ovation Amps owner's manuals in PDF!!
OVATION AMPS OWNER\'S MANUALS

I'm sure you can find the all differences between the k-6001 and k-6002 on this page. It's in English and it's easier for you than for me...

Thank you so much Bruce for these rare documents!!

Jérôme :cool:
savannah944
Posted 2005-05-27 7:28 PM (#168109 - in reply to #168099)

I had run across that link in the past. VERY helpful indeed!

---Jonathan
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)