The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!" - Alex Pepiak

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Carbon graphite Q

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2008-12-04 6:01 PM (#8789 - in reply to #8764)
Subject: Re: Carbon graphite Q

I like the production model. I wanted a 12-string Q, but they won't even make it for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-12-04 6:05 PM (#8790 - in reply to #8764)

Originally posted by The Artist (FKA Richard):
I don't understand the logic of why they don't make them, even in really limited numbers. They've already designed it, so no cost there.
I agree.

I think I see a correlation to supply and demand and all that but, if they have the template?...

Kinda like if you buy an eBarf Pacemaker...
They will put a new neck on one, or they will put a new body on one...
But you can't just Buy one.

If they know how to do it, still got the plans and molds and all that stuff (any you know they do)...
Why not just make a few, or a bunch?
MusicMishka
Posted 2008-12-04 6:16 PM (#8791 - in reply to #8764)

If it ain't broke, why fix it?...

I appreciate the inovation (no pun intended), but would love to see some of the models that put the Company on the map....

Pacemaker
CL six and twelve
1758's
Adamas I's

and not just re-issues, but catalog models...
Retro or not, they're great guitars...
Waskel
Posted 2008-12-04 6:31 PM (#8792 - in reply to #8764)

If it ain't broke... you're not tryin.
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-12-04 6:44 PM (#8793 - in reply to #8764)

Originally posted by MusicMishka:
If it ain't broke, why fix it?...

I appreciate the inovation (no pun intended), but would love to see some of the models that put the Company on the map....

Pacemaker
CL six and twelve
1758's
Adamas I's

and not just re-issues, but catalog models...
Retro or not, they're great guitars...
Pinto
Maverick
Galaxie 500
LTD Country Squire
Torino
Fairmont
Edsel

There are tons of people who cherish these cars, retor or not. But it would be lunacy for Ford to try and make these and sell them today. Times change.
MusicMishka
Posted 2008-12-04 7:01 PM (#8794 - in reply to #8764)

I just knew someone would say that...lol

Martin's doing pretty well w/ the D-28

Fender still makes the Strat in the original way as well as updated models

Gibson Les Pauls, SG's and Acoustic's are still the backbone of the company...

I love inovation and forward thinking...but the public likes tried and true: I'm not saying devote the entire line to Retro; but why not a few models...

Ford still makes Mustangs.....(thankfully w/o Falcon frames and engines)..

I do understand your point Bobbo...I'm Old School...can't help it.... ;)
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-12-04 7:22 PM (#8795 - in reply to #8764)

I love inovation and forward thinking...but the public likes tried and true: I'm not saying devote the entire line to Retro; but why not a few models...

Ovation tried it with their "traditional" line of guitars a couple of years back. And then with the reissues. Aside from a couple of folks who hang around here, I don't think they sold shit. Now they're being blown out at bargain basement prices. There is a brand new 1618 reissue on eBay for $999. And a Reissue shiny bowl, brand new Balladeer for $999 too.

Ovation was always a high-tech product, unlike a D-28 or even a Strat or an LP. High-tech products needs to keep evolving and breaking new ground or they become obsolete. That's the perception of the market anyway. And perception is always reality when it comes to selling things.
MusicMishka
Posted 2008-12-04 8:37 PM (#8796 - in reply to #8764)

Ovation tried it with their "traditional" line of guitars a couple of years back. And then with the reissues. Aside from a couple of folks who hang around here, I don't think they sold shit. Now they're being blown out at bargain basement prices. There is a brand new 1618 reissue on eBay for $999. And a Reissue shiny bowl, brand new Balladeer for $999 too.
I agree, sales have been slow in some respects; and the new innovations are great: no complaint or argument from me there either...but flooding the market w/ imported "value" items hasn't helped the sale of the big ticket items; esp. when the big barn mart's and Guitar Off-centers and MF's of the world only advertize that line: even in the Holiday issues, no main line USA guitars...If it doesn't say Celebrity in the Model name, it doesn't make the flyer...

"The public can't buy what they don't know you have for sale": Jerry Lewis

ymmv
stephent28
Posted 2008-12-04 8:42 PM (#8797 - in reply to #8764)

Seems like a while back that Beal mentioned at todays cost that 15K number that Dave threw out was pretty close.
Patch
Posted 2008-12-04 9:38 PM (#8798 - in reply to #8764)

I'm probably being either dense or simplistic here, but if Composite Acoustics and Rainsong can do it at a marketable price, why can't Ovation?
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-12-04 9:55 PM (#8799 - in reply to #8764)

I'm with Patch. I think they dropped the ball here. The Q was designed way before I'd ever heard of CA, yet here they are with a factory devoted to all Carbon Fibre models without a huge price tag.

The 08C has a hand laid bowl which wouldn't take much more work to do in carbon fibre. If the neck and bowl are one piece, I still don't see how that is significantly harder or more expensive than doing just the bowl. They should be able to sell these with a RRP of about $5,500 and sell about one per week.
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-12-05 6:52 AM (#8800 - in reply to #8764)

Like it or not, the couple hundred people on the OFC who actually buy guitars are not Ovations target market.
Omaha
Posted 2008-12-05 7:39 AM (#8801 - in reply to #8764)

I don't know how relevant the comparison is, but a friend came down from Minnesota a few months ago with his Composite Acoustics GX-Performer model. Its a really great guitar.

Street price on those is in the $2k-ish range.

I played it a little. It has this really chimey, overtone rich tone and sustain that goes on forever. And its loud. Really nice. Plus all the benefits of cf...Bill likes to comment that the reason you put your CA guitar in its case is to protect the inside of your trunk.
PEZ
Posted 2008-12-09 3:53 AM (#8802 - in reply to #8764)

Originally posted by stonebobbo:

Ovation was always a high-tech product, unlike a D-28 or even a Strat or an LP. High-tech products needs to keep evolving and breaking new ground or they become obsolete. That's the perception of the market anyway. And perception is always reality when it comes to selling things.
very few people knew they were back.
I found out at the factory.
adamas72
Posted 2008-12-10 7:34 PM (#8803 - in reply to #8764)

Gone for a few days and wow, nice threads. I can only hope that more "Q" (for quantum leap) could be made, the processes streamlined and sold to the world. I have worked in the composite industry, weaving, pre forming, molding and assembly. It is a new art form unto it self. The tooling, presses and injection system used in the industry creates many products. I like the idea of composite instruments, and many classical instruments are made that way. Trees do not have to die. The composite industry has its skeletons, but high technology is a great tool if it is is perused by motivated entrepreneurs.
lanaki
Posted 2008-12-10 8:53 PM (#8804 - in reply to #8764)

intere
|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50]interesting
color CA guitar
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2008-12-10 9:01 PM (#8805 - in reply to #8764)

I don't like it. Not my cup of tea.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-12-10 9:05 PM (#8806 - in reply to #8764)

My first thought about the CA is you can take it outside in the winter... No cracks. (supposedly) :D
Oddball
Posted 2008-12-10 9:08 PM (#8807 - in reply to #8764)

This could be pertinent to the subject at hand: I'd never heard of Composite Acoustics guitars until this thread.

I'd also never heard of the Ovation "Q".

Realizing that the market is flooded with cheap, pretty and in many cases, somewhat decent guitars these days, I also don't quite see why Ovation doesn't produce limited runs of high-end models. Fender must do enough business through the 'custom shop' that it keeps running. Maybe they will encourage a similar facility at Ovation? That would be pretty cool.

To use the car analogy, Chevy never made a lot of money on the Corvette, but they still made em and sold em. And the world would be a lesser place if they hadn't.
PEZ
Posted 2008-12-12 12:13 AM (#8808 - in reply to #8764)

Originally posted by stonebobbo:

There was problem with the Traditional Series no one knew were there unless you made an effort to find out. I found out they were back at tour
and then bought a 1719.
I wanted a big full no cutaway guitar in 2003.
I wanted an Ovation but they were not making any like that. I bought a Martin 28 & Guild D-25.
Martin Guild and Taylor sell alot no cut away guitars. Hi-tech is nice but is market for more tradional type guitars.
Auto really not comparable musical instruments as products.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)