The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Changes to Ovation Model Line Up

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

Gallerinski
Posted 2008-12-05 7:59 AM (#8554)
Subject: Changes to Ovation Model Line Up

Looking at the latest Ovation model and price list it looks like they have really cleaned up the various configurations.

1. Eliminated all USA made Supershallow bowls

2. Eliminated all USA made Deep bowls except for the Al DiMeola model

3. All other USA made 6-string guitars are available in either Mid-depth or Contour bowl

4. Eliminated all USA made 12-strings except the Legend 12-string which is available in either Mid-depth or Contour bowl

5. The former USA models now made in Asia are called AX. USA models are called LX.

6. Asian Balladeer, Standard Elite and Elite T 6-string models available in Supershallow, Mid-depth or Contour

7. Asian Balladeer, Standard Elite and Elite T 12-string models available in Contour bowl only

8. Eliminated the Ultra models

9. Eliminated the Red and Pewter Elite-T, now only available in black.

10. Eliminated the Flame painted Elite-T models

11. All Celebrity models are either Supershallow or Mid-depth bowls

12. Adamas I 1687 in red, black or blue now listed as a standard model with deep non cutaway

13. Adamas II 1581 in red, black or blue now listed as a standard model with Mid-depth cutaway
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Waskel
Posted 2008-12-05 8:06 AM (#8555 - in reply to #8554)
Subject: Re: Changes to Ovation Model Line Up

Wow.
Are they still offering the custom Legend and Elite?
BT717
Posted 2008-12-05 8:19 AM (#8556 - in reply to #8554)

All I see Fender doing to the Ovation Line is minimize lines, move over seas and cut back.
When are they going to start using their advertising and Marketing abilities and push the USA Ovation line? I can't remember the last time I walked into a G.C., Sam Ash, Fallceti's or Daddy's music (The big 4 chains in N.E.) and saw NEW USA Made "O's" being displayed. A lot of Trade ins and NEW Celeb', That's It. Why don't they tell the big Chain's, look, you want the fendor line, sell Ovations too. Do you really think Anyone is going to say NO???
Beal
Posted 2008-12-05 9:03 AM (#8557 - in reply to #8554)

click
Trader Jim
Posted 2008-12-05 9:30 AM (#8558 - in reply to #8554)

wonderful.
Randy22
Posted 2008-12-05 10:02 AM (#8559 - in reply to #8554)

Red and Pewter T's were gone last year when I ordered my 1868T. I had to settle for black.
marenostrum
Posted 2008-12-05 10:26 AM (#8560 - in reply to #8554)

I'm sure there is a reason for that....
There is always a reason.....
A reason.....
Is there... ? :( :confused:
Slipkid
Posted 2008-12-05 10:32 AM (#8561 - in reply to #8554)

Marketing... like moths to a flame.

Even though I can't do anything about it, I still find it an interesting aspect to being an Ovation Fan. Look at it this way... if we were a sports team fan club we'd talk about more than just the game itself. We'd also talk about the moves that the front office makes with the players (models) and how they effect the line-up. We discuss guitar models like they are players on a sports team so I think it's natural to have an interest in the doings of the coaches and the front office.
As long as the vast majority of the talk is about the "players" and what goes happens down on the field I'm glad to indulge in a little front office speculation.

Before I drive this analogy completly into the ground... when a member of our team goes down with an injury, its Kim & John that run out onto the field with a streacher.

Originally posted by Gallerinski:

1. Eliminated all USA made Supershallow bowls
***good move... Mothership efforts and resources are better spend on unplugged sound.

2. Eliminated all USA made Deep bowls except for the Al DiMeola model
*** I'm glad I'm well stocked on deep bowls.

3. All other USA made 6-string guitars are available in either Mid-depth or Contour bowl
****Looks like the contour bowl has become the standard

5. The former USA models now made in Asia are called AX. USA models are called LX.
**** I'm concerned that just a one letter difference in the model number is enough to get across the differences and advantages in the USA models.

8. Eliminated the Ultra models
****In hindsite it looks like the Ultra project was just an experimental half-step to moving some lines completly overseas.

9. Eliminated the Red and Pewter Elite-T, now only available in black.
****Good move. But the T models really need some type of edgy eppelet.

10. Eliminated the Flame painted Elite-T models
***That's okay... it's time for the next cool thing anyway. But please... something other than Heroin and Fart lighting Panda bears.

11. All Celebrity models are either Supershallow or Mid-depth bowls
****Good Move
Good thread Dave!
Patch
Posted 2008-12-05 10:36 AM (#8562 - in reply to #8554)

Originally posted by marenostrum:
I'm sure there is a reason for that....
There is always a reason.....
A reason.....
Is there... ? :( :confused:
Ours is not to reason why.
We're just supposed to buy, buy, buy. :rolleyes:

(Sorry folks, up the last two nights with sick kids, so I'm a little more pessimistic than usual. And I still prefer the deep bowl to the contour bowl, so I'm a little grumpy about the list I guess. Oh well, there's still plenty of used O's to stalk and pillage.)
an4340
Posted 2008-12-05 10:47 AM (#8563 - in reply to #8554)

Remember the factory has to also make other brands of guitars, so it makes business sense to streamline and focus.

I find it sad though, that Fender is, in effect moving jobs to asia.

Especially when unemployment is growing in places, like upstate New York. You guys can't believe it up here.

I just hope they don't become, simply a holding company, making guitars in the places with the lowest bidders. More hollowing out of America. It's not good. Thank you Fender.
Jonmark Stone
Posted 2008-12-05 12:39 PM (#8564 - in reply to #8554)

4. Eliminated all USA made 12-strings except the Legend 12-string which is available in either Mid-depth or Contour bowl
No 12 string Adami? Even custom orders or just the standard line?
That would be a shame.
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-12-05 1:06 PM (#8565 - in reply to #8554)

The melissa 12-string is still available. I was really only commenting on the ovation models.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2008-12-05 1:17 PM (#8566 - in reply to #8554)

Are any of the speciality models listed? Folklore, Country Artist, Mando etc
MusicMishka
Posted 2008-12-05 2:12 PM (#8567 - in reply to #8554)

click
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-12-05 2:28 PM (#8568 - in reply to #8554)

Sorry guys, but I'm probably the odd man out here. Personally, I'm sort of stoked about this. Not sort of stoked ... really stoked. Have you been out onto place like eBay and seen the price points of USA Ovations lately? Nothing under $1500 at all! It seems like you need to spend $2K to get a new Ovation, which goes to show their quality and value and rightfully placed them up against the guitars we all have been saying they are better than!. Hooray! This is great for the brand! (And the value of those great guitars we already have). And what a great way to keep the American workers employed and at the top of their game. Let them build guitars that compete with the other great builders. Let the New Hartford folk show just how damn good they are at building high-end, outstanding quality guitars, brining in the dollars needed to keep the factory running at a profit. Finally the guitars are being positioned where they should be ... and in keeping with what everyone here has been bitching about for years. We ought to be celebrating!
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-12-05 2:48 PM (#8569 - in reply to #8554)

Originally posted by Paul Templeman:
Are any of the speciality models listed? Folklore, Country Artist, Mando etc
All USA 6-string models are available in either Mid-depth of Contour. That includes the Classic, Artist and Folklore. Mando remains as it was.
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-12-05 2:51 PM (#8570 - in reply to #8554)

Yeah, I agree with Bobbo. I posted this as a very positive thing. Didn't expect all the neg comments. I think what Ovation has done is exactly the right thing. Move the lower end stuff overseas. USA made Guild, Ovation and Hamer is a pretty potent group of guitars coming out of that old guilding.
BT717
Posted 2008-12-05 3:11 PM (#8571 - in reply to #8554)

[QB] I posted this as a very positive thing. Didn't expect all the neg comments.

Not sure if my comment was taken as Negative or not. What I was trying to say and may not of done the best Job of saying so was that Fender NEEDS to start using there "Muscle" with the Guitar stores and Help PUSH the USA Ovation line as the quality guitar they are. Not allow the stores to only sell the Oversea Ovation line.
Make sense?
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-05 3:23 PM (#8572 - in reply to #8554)

I took it as positive for sure. All the moves make sense to me except maybe shallow and deep bowls going by the wayside. I'm sure you can still custom order a bowl size through Al though, so that's good.

I suppose that could also make the value of existing SS and deep bowls rise too. Who knows?
MusicMishka
Posted 2008-12-05 3:38 PM (#8573 - in reply to #8554)

When the employees bought Fender back in 1983, production/shipping was impacted until the Corona plant came online; I was manager at a large Music Store and USA made product was interrupted for a time...the guitars they have put out since then are wonderful guitars and in some cases as nice or nicer than any made before: the difference is that the marketing was in place and all Fender dealers were taken care of...I just wish I could go into a local Music store (of which many are becoming scarce in parts of the country) and find a nice array of Ovation instruments much less Adamas...the fact is that catalog stores and large box chains stock the Celebrity series and then not prominently...but rarely does one see a USA model other than on eBay...
I am glad; no, thrilled, to see the price's rise on USA Ovations...However, it's my contention that if the marketing and public availability would catch up with the OUTSTANDING QUALITY of the instruments, more people could experience what we already know: These are great guitars.
Gallerinski
Posted 2008-12-05 4:45 PM (#8574 - in reply to #8554)

Originally posted by BT717:

Not sure if my comment was taken as Negative or not. What I was trying to say and may not of done the best Job of saying so was that Fender NEEDS to start using there "Muscle" with the Guitar stores and Help PUSH the USA Ovation line as the quality guitar they are. Not allow the stores to only sell the Oversea Ovation line.
Make sense?
Yup. I know what you mean. I went to my local lawnmower shop and saw that he wasn't selling Ariens anymore. I asked him why and he said to be a dealer you now had to carry their WHOLE line of products. Ariens snowblowers don't sell well around here.
Old Man Arthur
Posted 2008-12-05 4:57 PM (#8575 - in reply to #8554)

"10. Eliminated the Flame painted Elite-T models"

Well, when I sell mine the BIN just went up to $1000! :D
[and I paid the least for that T :confused: ]

Good Thread... I was trying figure-out what the difference between 'LX' and 'AX' was.
fillhixx
Posted 2008-12-05 5:07 PM (#8576 - in reply to #8554)

Originally posted by BT717:
Fender NEEDS to start using thier "Muscle" with the Guitar stores and Help PUSH the USA Ovation line as the quality guitar they are.
Pressure tactics? Threats? Intimidation? It seems to be working so well for Ford, Gm, and Chev.....I can see the attraction.
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-05 7:25 PM (#8577 - in reply to #8554)

Originally posted by Old Man Arthur:
I was trying figure-out what the difference between 'LX' and 'AX' was.
The folks overseas were having a hard time pronouncing "LX"
AussieJames
Posted 2008-12-05 7:29 PM (#8578 - in reply to #8554)

RX?? :D
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)