The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Acoustic Cafe

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Standingovation
Posted 2005-01-23 6:08 PM (#165730)
Subject: Acoustic Cafe

I had the pleasure of attending the "Acoustic Cafe" show at NAMM. Thanks to those who made it possible. It was a wonderful evening of acoustic talent. Although the sound guys didn't do a great job. All the plugged in acoustics (including Kaki's Adamas) sounded pretty crappy. The only half way good one was a Collings that was straight miked. Anyway the show was really impressive.

By far IMHO, the "California Guitar Trio" stole the show and blew everyone away. The did a 3-part Bach fugue (on steel string Martins) that was incredible. There was plenty of soiled BVD's in the audience over that one. Then Tony Levin of all people joins them on electric bass for some fusion acrobatics and then they launch into an incredible version of "Heart Of The Sunrise". Jon Anderson of YES joins them on stage and sings vocals. Just amazing. Probably the finest acoustic guiitar playing I've ever heard.

Kaki's set was great and the audience loved it. But I must admit I have a hard time relating to that kind of music. Actually not sure if I'd call it "music" - more like "guitar gymnastics". Even though it's not my thing, she's incredibly talented and amazing to watch live.

Other's here will post about the NAMM show, I'm no technical expert on those matters. I'll just say that the new Ovation '05 Collectors was amazing. The Taylor T5 electric/acoustic looked and sounded great. Ditto the Martin 000-45 Stephen Stills. It'll be an interesting year at the top with plenty of different ice-cream flavors.

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tommy M.
Posted 2005-01-23 9:23 PM (#165731 - in reply to #165730)
Subject: Re: Acoustic Cafe

Dave
Seems like an objective and unbaised critique on the show. Just wondering, what made the 05 Collectors, amazing?
Tommy
Standingovation
Posted 2005-01-23 10:01 PM (#165732 - in reply to #165730)

I can sum up the '05 Collectors as follows:

1. It LOOKS like a guitar. Simple, clean, no neon colors or racing stripes, no 30 yr. old epaulets. Just really classy. Nice abalone ring around the soundhole, a single tasteful abalone 12th fret marker of the Contour logo (looks like a Nike swoosh), and wonderful ivoroid binding. Even a nice new label with the Contour logo. Beautiful.

2. It FEELS like a guitar. It rests secure and solidly on your leg when playing seated. Feels like a wood box guitar, minus the upper rear edge that digs into your ribs. Very comfortable. When playing standing up it rests flat against your gut like a wood box guitar, instead of like trying to balance a ball on a dome. Just really comfortable. The gloss neck and low action felt really fast and smooth.

3. It SOUNDS like a guitar. Stupid statement, but what I mean is that it strikes you as an acoustic-first guitar (like the FD-14). Hard to tell with all the show noise but comparing it to other guitars under the same conditions it stood out. The Adamas were nice and probably louder, but I have a sneaky suspecion that under critical listening conditions the '05 might outshine them. I tried to compare it to the Custom Legend LX and to me it was not even close. There will be those who want to hang on to tradition, but objectively speaking it will be hard to keep the contour bowl from permeating the rest of the product line - it's THAT good.

The REAL interesting test will be this - It will be easy to get us Ovation fans all excited about this guitar. BUT, will wood box guitar lovers come over to the dark side? Will those with stables of Taylors and Martins be convinced enough to add an Ovation to their mix? I'm really curious to see what happens. With out question the '05 will slow the trend of people abandoning Ovation in favor wood box guitars, but will it attract new converts? I'm guessing it will.
popcritic
Posted 2005-01-24 4:38 PM (#165733 - in reply to #165730)

Dave, I ran across this CGT tour diary entry re Acoustic Cafe. I think you'll enjoy it:

http://www.cgtrio.com/diary/diary-BertLams.shtml

Dave King
Standingovation
Posted 2005-01-24 5:51 PM (#165734 - in reply to #165730)

Dave, Thanks for the link. Pretty interesting stuff. And it was a great show. Please don't mis-interpret my comments about Kaki. She is an amazing talent - more talent in her little finger than in my whole body. I'm just too much of an old fuddy-duddy to be able to digest the music. Or maybe just jealous that I couldn't do that kind of musical gymnastics in a million years. Thanks again.
popcritic
Posted 2005-01-25 12:39 PM (#165735 - in reply to #165730)

Relax Dave, some of Kaki's stuff is too wild even for me! Btw, you're not alone in thinking the CGT stole the show--I've seen that opinion elsewhere. After all, they were joined onstage by one of the greatest vocalists in rock history--Jon Anderson. And they are fantastic guitarists themselves. Kaki felt honored just to be part of the show.

Speaking of her, the Letterman Show that she was on just before Christmas will be re-run this Thursday. If you missed the first time, set your VCR or Tivo--she plays in the last ten minutes of the show.

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/show_info/index.shtml

Finest regards--

Dave King
Kaki's Dad
musicamex
Posted 2005-01-28 10:52 AM (#165736 - in reply to #165730)

hola amigos,

just back from cal and the busiest week in recent memory.

i also thought the cgt was perhaps the best live performance i have heard since i can't remember when. i am not a "church" kind of guy in any formal way, but the feeling i got at the acoustic cafe that night was a spiritual experience in my book. the bach arrangement was unfortunatly not on the cd of theirs i bought. i'll have to try to hear it in my head till they record it. does anyone know if there will be a cd of the acoustic cafe performance available?

i'll have to say though, that kaki captured my heart with her gutsy yet humble, put it on the line unique approach to the guitar. granted, it isn't a I-IV-V folk song, and is often far from predictable, but if you go back to the guy (or maybe the spunky young cave girl) beating on a hollow log and look at where we have come, i think kaki is one of those rare people that thinks and plays outside of the box that makes musical evolution happen. the cgt made me appreciate, but kaki made me think. what a perfect person to represent the "maverick" of the guitar world, OVATION. guitars and music dont have to have sharp corners. before i heard kaki, i was trying to decide which cd to buy. after i heard her i bought both. dave king, you certainly have a daughter that you can be proud of. i hope to speak to her in person someday, and get her to autograph the cd's. if either of you are ever in puerto vallarta, mi casa su casa.

as far as the 2005 collector's guitar goes, it is the first new guitar from ovation that has me reaching for my wallet. it is strikingly elegant and technically sophisticated. as soon as i get my new business off the ground i intend to buy one.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)