The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
New member question about an old O

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

nmurvin
Posted 2008-12-05 7:24 PM (#8403)
Subject: New member question about an old O

I gave my daughter my Ovation that I bought new in college (~1972). It is a 1121-4 with the original brown case and in mint condition.

With the recent upturn in values for USA made Ovations, is this guitar worth much? She has it on a floor stand with a 1 yr old. It's only a matter of time before he gets to it . . .
Top of the page Bottom of the page
muzza
Posted 2008-12-05 7:29 PM (#8404 - in reply to #8403)
Subject: Re: New member question about an old O

Buy her a Hercules wall hanger for Christmas and get the Ovation off the floor.
nmurvin
Posted 2008-12-05 7:38 PM (#8405 - in reply to #8403)

She has one. I'll be visiting over the holidays and will try to convince her to let me install it.

A few years ago, I checked and the value of this guitar was about what I paid for it in 1972 ($350 or so) - which means it went down in real dollar value. If it has gone up due to recent changes, I'd like to know. I'd like her to be aware of its value (besides the sentimental side, of course).

So, are you near Brisbane? I visited there a couple of years ago. Beautiful place . . .
FlySig
Posted 2008-12-05 7:46 PM (#8406 - in reply to #8403)

Right now, used guitar values are very depressed due to the knee jerk panic to the economy. In a few months I would expect that values will again go up to where they were 6 months ago.

When you mount that Herc wall hanger, be sure it is secured with long screws into a wall stud, not just into wallboard.
stonebobbo
Posted 2008-12-05 8:05 PM (#8407 - in reply to #8403)

Welcome. That particular guitar in that particluar condition will be a "vintage" instrument at some point. I think we are on the edge of that next step where Ovations will be accepted, but it may still take a few more years before it gets into full swing. So a litle precaution is warranted.

However! Guitars are meant to be played. Music is good for the soul, and generally a happy time. That's good for kids. If the guitar is around kids, it will take hits no matter what you do. I have a couple of old treasured ones with their share of "beauty marks" on them. Caused by my kids. Now that my kids are essentiall grown and we have recorded music together, and my son got his music published and released on a label, the beauty marks represent joyous memories.

Encourage your daughter to exercise the same caution with the guitar as you did when she was around. And plan to pass it own to her child someday. And on from there. No amount of money can replace that kind of legacy.
muzza
Posted 2008-12-05 8:09 PM (#8408 - in reply to #8403)

Originally posted by nmurvin:
So, are you near Brisbane? I visited there a couple of years ago. Beautiful place . . .
I'm about an hour and a half north of Brisbane. There are 2 regular contributors IN Brisbane. We had a get together a few weekends ago and one of the Melbourne members joined us.

Yes, it is a beautiful city, (for a city) and Queensland is a great place to live.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)