The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain." - Bob Marley

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Inspired to push myself

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2008Message format

muzza
Posted 2008-12-05 8:00 PM (#8391)
Subject: Inspired to push myself

I've started learning a song which I always considered way above my ability level -'Wondering Where the Lions Are' by Bruce Cockburn. The chords are REALLY simple, the difficulty is in the picking patterns.

For the last few nights, I've concentrated solely on the picking patterns. This is very different to my old style of 'practicing', which consisted of just playing the songs, taking as many shortcuts as necessary. Now I'm focused on particular outcomes. A lot of you are saying "yeah, that's obvious" but I've been avoiding the obvious for years.

I'm still months off nailing this sucker, but every night, I feel it's coming that little bit closer. And I'm not bored of the song yet.

The other good thing about learning this particular song is that it makes my other 'project' - Never Going Back Again - seem like a walk in the park.

The point I guess I'm trying to make is... I feel good. It's the best I've felt about my guitar playing in YEARS.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lanaki
Posted 2008-12-05 8:20 PM (#8392 - in reply to #8391)
Subject: Re: Inspired to push myself

good on ya' muzz. proves that us old dogs can be taught new tricks.
Beal
Posted 2008-12-05 8:54 PM (#8393 - in reply to #8391)

That's a good tune. Just heard a version by Buffet.
I'm not a big Buffet fan but since Sirius totally fucked up the XM programming one of the less revolting stations is Margaritaville.
CrimsonLake
Posted 2008-12-05 9:13 PM (#8394 - in reply to #8391)

Muzza - it's pretty cool isn't it? I'm working on one of the "Peppino" challenge songs and I'm really close. I play it so much I'm starting to dislike it, but I'm definitely improving.

And as you said, it makes learning other songs that you thought were difficult, much easier.

Nice going!
ozwatto
Posted 2008-12-05 11:10 PM (#8395 - in reply to #8391)

Good stuff Muz...maybe your inspiration can inspire me :D
TAFKAR
Posted 2008-12-05 11:19 PM (#8396 - in reply to #8391)

I've been on this tack for most of the year with Crazy on You. I can actually get through the introduction in a constant stream at about 60% of the actual pace. I'm still making a mistake every time I go through, but it's not the same mistake. Now I'm starting to learn the strumming bits, which are also quite tricky. It does feel good when you learn something really difficult.
flackster
Posted 2008-12-06 3:11 AM (#8397 - in reply to #8391)

Go for it Muzz - maybe post some before's & after's so we can see/hear how you are progressing.
Damon67
Posted 2008-12-06 3:15 AM (#8398 - in reply to #8391)

Good goin muzza. That's the only way we get better. I do the same thing, and especially with songs that have special fingerpicking patterns. I think maybe I'll go try some Croce stuff again.
muzza
Posted 2008-12-06 4:16 AM (#8399 - in reply to #8391)

Originally posted by flacky:
Go for it Muzz - maybe post some before's & after's so we can see/hear how you are progressing.
Aint NO WAY you're gonna get a 'BEFORE'!
flackster
Posted 2008-12-06 4:19 AM (#8400 - in reply to #8391)

:D HAHAHAHA :D
Joe Rotax
Posted 2008-12-06 4:21 AM (#8401 - in reply to #8391)

Good on ya cobber.

I'm doing stuff like this one because it's real simple to play and it's about South Ontario farm country which is where my neighbours live. Big open country and there's always a lot of cars on the driveway when something happens good or bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRjyeStRdOw
dweezil
Posted 2008-12-06 5:08 AM (#8402 - in reply to #8391)

Good one Muzza!

Thats my technique - after years of playing Stefan Grossman type stuff I got my first Ovation. The obvious thing to play on it was Adrian Legg stuff, stuff that I've always considered WAY above my level. Anyhow can play 4 of his tunes up to performance speed (2 of them are finger picking tornadoes) and now moved on to other pro's pieces including Bruce Cockburn. These are really good pieces by him that you ought to check out too...

Foxglove
Sunwheel Dance

Recently someone posted soem Peppino D'agnostino pieces. I started with Born In The Sea. At first glance it looked prety straight forward but there are some really quite advanced left hand patterns needed to give the piece the right feel (he lets strings ring so you have to REALLY economical with your left hand movement. Anyhow after a few weeks on it can play well enough for it to make the cut for the 1st album (coming soon).

So after that ramble I guess I'm saying I find the best approach to pick some pieces to learn that are above my current level and keep at em.

Keep picking. And consider another technique, not just breaking down the piece into say 2 bar chunks but this...

1. Learn it from the end to the beginning, i.e. learn bars 99 - 100, then 97 - 98 etc, else you end up knowing and being able to play the start really well and the end not so well.

2. Concentrate your practice to the difficult bits so they are seamless. So if you play through and stop at a particular place, practice that bit 10 times in a row then try again.

3. Be hard on yourself, strive for GOOD TONE and make sure the melody isn't dominated by the bass. The bass is more often than not just accompaniment

4. ALWAYS USE A METRONOME!!!

Enjoy!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)