The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : <1 2 34567 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Southern-Style OFC Jamboree?

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

BluesSailor
Posted 2007-05-06 10:35 PM (#92940 - in reply to #92915)
Subject: Re: Southern-Style OFC Jamboree?

'Zilla,

It would be a great chance to show off that 1538 (hint,hint).

I'll be bringing the Ute and my 1537.

Brad
Top of the page Bottom of the page
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-05-06 10:37 PM (#92941 - in reply to #92915)

Randy,
Well, I'd invite you (and if you're brave you're welcome) to stay wherever it is that we'll stay Saturday night but with a 4 month old that is teething...well you get the picture I'm sure...I do love to share the joy but I'm compassionate as well, lol! BTW, if you need a guitar, I'll bring several; not sure if you're bringing one from the islands. Looking forward to it as much as going on my first tour and jam in CT in 10 days!
Designzilla
Posted 2007-05-06 10:39 PM (#92942 - in reply to #92915)

I'll bring the #47 RI and the 1538. I might have room for 1 more depending on how much my wife packs.
lanaki
Posted 2007-05-06 10:40 PM (#92943 - in reply to #92915)

oh man...guitar heaven will happen in the beautiful blue ridge mountains of western north carolina on june 9!
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-05-06 10:49 PM (#92944 - in reply to #92915)

BTW, for first time visitors to the South, here is a bit of local info:

TRAVEL WARNING

Issued by the Southern Tourism Bureau to ALL visiting Northerners, Northeastern Urbanites, and Canadians:

1) Don't order filet mignon or pasta primavera at the Waffle House. It's just a diner. They serve breakfast24 hours a day. Let them cook something they know. If you confuse them, they'll kick your butt.

2) Don't laugh at our Southern names. (Merleen, Bodie, Ovine, Luther Ray, Tammy Lynn, Darla Beth, Inez, Billy Joe, Sissy, etc.) These people have all been known to kick butt.

3) Don't order a bottle of pop or a can of soda down here. Down here it's called Coke. Nobody gives a flying damn whether it's Pepsi, RC, Dr. Pepper, 7-Up or whatever- it's still a Coke. Accept it. Doing otherwise can lead to an butt kicking.

4) We know our heritage. Most of us are more literate than you (e.g., Welt, Williams, Faulkner). We are also better educated and generally a lot nicer. Don’t refer to us as a bunch of hillbillies, or we'll kick your butt.

5) We have plenty of business sense (e.g., Fred Smith of Fed Ex, Turner Broadcasting, MCI WorldCom, MTV, and Netscape). Naturally, we do, sometimes, have small lapses in judgment (e.g., Carter, Edwards, Duke, Barnes). We don't care if you think we are dumb. We can still kick your butt.

6) Don't laugh at our Civil War monuments. If Lee had listened to Longstreet and flanked Meade at Gettysburg instead of sending Pickett up the middle, you'd be paying taxes to Richmond instead of Washington. If you visit Stone Mountain and complain about the carving, we’ll kick your butt.

7) We are fully aware of how high the humidity is, so shut the heck up, spend your money, and get the heck out of here -- or we'll kick your butt.

8) Don't order wheat toast at Cracker Barrel. Everyone will instantly know that you're from Ohio. Eat your biscuits like God intended, with plenty of sausage gravey. Don't put sugar on your grits, or we'll kick your butt.

9) Don't fake a Southern accent. This will incite a riot, and you will get your butt kicked.

10) Don't talk about how much better things are at home because we don't give a dang. Many of us have visited Northern hellholes like Detroit, Chicago, and DC, and we have the scars to prove it. If you don’t like it here, Delta is ready when you are. Take your butt home before it gets kicked.

11) Yes, we know how to speak proper English. We talk this way because we don't want to sound like you. We don’t care if you don't understand what we are saying. All other Southerners understand what we are saying, and that's all that matters. Now, go away, or we'll kick your butt.

12) Don't complain that the South is dirty and polluted. None of OUR lakes have caught fire like scenic Lake Erie once did. Whine about OUR scenic beauty, and we'll kick your butt all the way back into Boston Harbor.

13) Don't ridicule our Southern manners. We say "sir" and "ma'am," hold doors open for others, and offer our seats to old folks because such things are expected of civilized people. Behave yourselves around our sweet little gray-haired grandmothers or they'll kick some manners into your butt just like they did ours.

14) So you think we're quaint or losers because most of us live in the countryside? That's because we have enough sense not to live in smelly, crime-infested cesspools like New York or Baltimore. Make fun of our fresh air, and we'll kick your butt.

15) Don't claim that we can't run an election. The problem is in Florida, a northern state. Claiming Florida is part of the South will get your butt thoroughly kicked.

16) Last, but not least, DO NOT DARE come down here trying to tell us how to cook Barbecue. This will get your butt shot off (right after it is kicked). You’re lucky we let you come down here at all. Question our sacred BBQ, and you go home in a pine box----minus your butt!
(edited for content: I am a Minister,lol)

I couldn't pass this up! Enjoy!
:D
lanaki
Posted 2007-05-06 10:50 PM (#92945 - in reply to #92915)

mahalo, musicmike. our arrangements are already made as my wife has a business seminar that week.

my 1688 12'er is really itchin' to make this trip but i'll refrain. i will be traveling with two toddlers, one who is teething also. and we have lots of ground to cover when we are there so it is best i don't burden myself even more. i am considering visiting a few guitar places like this one: www.dreamguitars.com when i am there though.
lanaki
Posted 2007-05-06 11:02 PM (#92946 - in reply to #92915)

and thanks for the travel warnings!! it'd be awful for me to forget my manners and get my OFC butt kicked out of the south.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-05-06 11:05 PM (#92947 - in reply to #92915)

I'll bring my 87C-5...You need to see and play this Ovation...I'll also have my 1758-1 and whatever else I can find/fit into the Explorer to bring like egg shakers, tamborine, etc. :eek: :D :cool:
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-05-06 11:06 PM (#92948 - in reply to #92915)

:D :D :D :D :D ;)
Beggin
Posted 2007-05-06 11:25 PM (#92949 - in reply to #92915)

Lanaki Said:
d'ya know any minor chords, jim?
Well let's see... I know a Cm, Am, Em, Dm, Fm (I think, isn't that one of those Bar CHords) If you move it up the fret board does that make it a Gm?

I recon I have some studying to do. Can we reschedule for 2010? I am from the South and we take everything real slow.

But I can still kick your butt!! :D :D :D ;)

Great post MM, I laughed so hard my daughter came down from upstairs to find out what was so funny.
lanaki
Posted 2007-05-06 11:31 PM (#92950 - in reply to #92915)

i enjoy cowboy chords the best. i like simple songs, the kind most folks know, can relate to and like to sing along with. i can play a little slack key, a little jazz, a bit o'blues, some rock n' roll, but mostly i'm fond of easy listening and uplifting stuff. we will have good fun. and there ain't nothin' like GOOD fun.
Beggin
Posted 2007-05-06 11:48 PM (#92951 - in reply to #92915)

There you go being humble again, we expect big things from you young Lanaki!

I hope to hear what my guitars can do with experience strumming them.

I will try to catch a chord or two or just sit back and listen. That's what I enjoy the best anyway.
MusicMishka
Posted 2007-05-06 11:49 PM (#92952 - in reply to #92915)

Thanks Begginjm, My sister sent me that several years ago and I had the same reaction: please everyone: its only a joke..no offence intended at all...Lanaki, you lived here...you should know all the jokes, etc....and I do love a good time!!!!! BTW, I checked out the Slak Key dude and I plan to take a few lessons! Thanks for the info.
lanaki
Posted 2007-05-06 11:51 PM (#92953 - in reply to #92915)

"young"? i ain't been called that since i was. but thanks anyway! it's 9 minutes to 6pm here, i'm gonna get off this thing for awhile and go toss the ball with my kids. thanks again, james!
Beggin
Posted 2007-05-07 1:04 PM (#92954 - in reply to #92915)

"young" is a state of mind. Funny, but when I was young, the adults said that I acted much older. Now that I am older, my kids friends tell me that I act much younger.

I will be talking to some people today, trying to find a site for the Blue Ridge Mountain's Family Jamboree. (I would use OFC in there but I see that it's Trademarked) Maybe Miles will give us permission to include it.

Then we can have t-shirts made that say "Get Plugged in the Mountains". Hmmm...that may be easily misinterpretted?! :D Well, I will leave the slogans up to ya'll.
Capo Guy
Posted 2007-05-07 6:08 PM (#92955 - in reply to #92915)

As you're raft down the river remember "Dueling Banjos". The song from the movie "Deliverance".

Happy rafting. :D

BTW; I went through Basic Training with Jon Voight.
Waskel
Posted 2007-05-07 6:32 PM (#92956 - in reply to #92915)

Originally posted by BegginJM:
Then we can have t-shirts made that say "Get Plugged in the Mountains".
Is it hunting season over there already?
Beggin
Posted 2007-05-07 11:10 PM (#92957 - in reply to #92915)

GGG..I ain't doing no raftin, someone may mistake my guitar as a paddle. I try to block that movie from my memory. Inbreeding scares me.
Trader Jim
Posted 2007-05-08 9:22 AM (#92958 - in reply to #92915)

Hey guys, I told Randy already, but I won't be able to make it as the wife has to be at work that Friday. I considered driving up Friday night, but you wouldn't like me after no sleep. I don't even like me after no sleep! Anyhow, enjoy, and take a lot of pictures. Feel free to send me any you can.
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-05-08 10:27 AM (#92959 - in reply to #92915)

I called Philmax to let him know what's up. He's been so busy trying to get his business running that he hasn't been here in weeks. The 9th is his wife's b-day, so we may have the two of them to kick around.

Let's get a roll call and start passing around tabs and chords to learn.
lanaki
Posted 2007-05-08 12:32 PM (#92960 - in reply to #92915)

the first tabs and chords we should pass around is :"Happy Birthday To You" then! what's philmax's wife's name, so we get the song down pat. it's not "pat" is it? ;)

jim, you will be sorely missed. i wuz really hoping to meet you face to face at this event, however, i will see you at next year's OFC factory tour/jam Good Lord willin' and the ocean don't rise. if it does, i may see you before then!
Captain Lovehandles
Posted 2007-05-08 3:33 PM (#92961 - in reply to #92915)

It is NOT Pat, and we won't be singing the song that bears her name. It was recently disclosed that it's the number one song everyone hates to play.

Originally by a pure league of the prairie variety.
Beggin
Posted 2007-05-08 3:40 PM (#92962 - in reply to #92915)

Amy?
Beggin
Posted 2007-05-08 3:44 PM (#92963 - in reply to #92915)

I know five songs and you just knocked the list down to four. If you cutout "horse with No Shame" make it three. Randy send me "happy birthday" tabs please. Maybe I can learn it before we get together.
lanaki
Posted 2007-05-08 3:45 PM (#92964 - in reply to #92915)

"...whatcha gonna do?..."

interestingly, i have never played, nor attempted to play that song. i like it though.

so...jim and i think we have the location and he has reserved the French Broad River Park for us. directions to follow soon. does anyone plan on spending the night, friday or saturday, in the area?
let me know and i'll check on the rates at where my family is staying at the Mountain Inn & Suites a few miles south of the park. i know it is nice and certainly $20-30 less than the nearby Holiday Inn.
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)