The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There are more love songs than anything else. If songs could make you do something we'd all love one another." -Frank Zappa

Jump to page : < ... 456789 10 1112131415 ... >
Now viewing page 10 [25 messages per page]
UPS JUST DELIVERED...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

stephent28
Posted 2005-04-20 9:45 AM (#156163 - in reply to #155938)
Subject: Re: UPS JUST DELIVERED...

I am still somewhat perplexed by the fact that some members seem to think that we are bashing Al or Ovation. I have posted my comments several times as has Tony, Bruce, Jeff, and many others.

I don't really see where the concern is coming from. We have all stated that we were disappointed in the craftsmanship on a Limited Edition guitar....a run of 100....which should have received special handling due to it's limited run and special nature.

Nowhere have I seen anyone blame or bash Al. Just the opposite...I think the general consensus has been that Al has been working behind the scenes with the powers that be to make sure that each and every one of us is taken care of and satisfied.

That however, does not take away the fact that we are unhappy and should express our feelings. I think the fact that this thread is probably one of the longest in OFC history should send notice to the factory that letting product slip through the door that falls below everyone's expectations is not acceptable.

I don't see where anyone has risked "a friendship". If a friend described a guitar to you as new, you bought it on his word, and it arrived in an unsatifactory condition, would you just look the other way and accept it because he was "your friend" and you did not want to hurt "your relationship" I seriously doubt it. You would call him up,tell him your issues and work towards a compromise.

If you left him many messages and he never called you back, would you start to get a little upset? Would this start to strain your friendship? Would it maybe cause you to trust his word a little less in future dealings?

I think this thread has been very civilized and no specific blame has been thrown or fingers pointed. I think the overall feeling has been one of disappointment.

If anyone is feeling attacked and that relationships are being threatened.....then maybe they are feeling a little guilty.

There is a lot of discussions going on behind the scenes between those of us who have problems and with Al. I think we are all 100% comfortable that Al is working on our behalf to make things right.

Regardless, OFC members and the mothership need to know that the ball was dropped "BIGTIME" on this limited edition. Maybe the continuance of this thread will help prevent future problems with the other limited edition reissues due out later this year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Designzilla
Posted 2005-04-20 10:27 AM (#156164 - in reply to #155938)

Well, considering that about 10 days ago I really wanted one of these and I am still (possibly) interested in purchasing one. I am very interested in the current owners experiences. I also appreciate them using this forum, not to bash and vent, but to discuss their experiences. This and any resolution helps me make an informed buying decision.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2005-04-20 11:38 AM (#156165 - in reply to #155938)

"Maybe the continuance of this thread will help prevent future problems with the other limited edition reissues due out later this year."

Or maybe, as has happened on my Motorcycle forum... In 2000-2001 a small percent of the 2000 or so first bikes made had transmissions that were prone to failure. In 2002, they started using a new engine and tranny and none of the original run was ever used again. Most of the ones that were bad were fixed under warrantee. However, there was quite a hoopla on our BBS about the problem by the handful (maybe 10) people that experienced the problem. Here it is 2005, and we still hear "Victory, oh that's the bikes with the bad transmissions".

I'm not telling anyone to now post. This is a good thread. But keep in mind, due to the size of this thread, for years and years to come, long after these guitars are fixed if necessary, and eveyrone is happy, anytime anyone searches on UPS, Adamas, 12-fret, finish, limited etc etc etc... they are going to see this thread. And I don't mean just serached here at the OFC, but searched on those topics in google will point people here too.

Again... I'm just say'n... This is a good thread. I'm sure, no matter the cause, on some level, Ovation must appreciate the passion we have for their product. But keep in mind before you click "Add Reply" that this is a permanent record.
Tony Calman
Posted 2005-04-20 11:39 AM (#156166 - in reply to #155938)

based on the playability of the guitar and the fact that we have aired problems for the factory to be aware of...I seriously recomment buying the guitar - as a limited run, not putting in your order may result in losing that opportunity.

those that haven't ordered may not be aware how much Al has done to help his customers. and, although few, there have been a couple of comments about the dealer's responsibility.

just good for the few that have bought it to reinforce our dealer's support. Al has a difficult line to walk as an avid guitarist who loves the Ovation/Adamas models, co-sponsor and co-administrator of the OFC, and a dealer - he does an admirable job.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-04-20 12:17 PM (#156167 - in reply to #155938)

"But keep in mind before you click "Add Reply" that this is a permanent record."

Then I won't talk about certain "job related" things that I've had to do ......
Stevechapman
Posted 2005-04-20 1:28 PM (#156168 - in reply to #155938)

Moody,
That would probably be wise...
stephent28
Posted 2005-04-20 2:29 PM (#156169 - in reply to #155938)

So far as a permanent record goes, I would hope that everyone who is sending back the U681t to the mothership will ultimately report the final resolution to their issues.

Then, hopefully, when all is well and someone does a search in 2-3 years, they will have the patience to actually read all 300+ messages that this thread appears headed toward.....and will read the happy ending that the mothership provided to everyone who sought their help!
Patsbro
Posted 2005-04-20 3:31 PM (#156170 - in reply to #155938)

I hope that we haven't given the impression that everyone of the U681T's are flawed. Mine arrived in pristine condition. No dings, scratches, or glue marks. The strings were spooled properly(inside--->out) so no marks on the rod cover. The fit and finish is flawless.

Those of us that have purchased new Ovations in the past have expected and received instruments that were free of the problems mentioned above. I can understand the frustration. The part that would bother me the most is the fact that the instrument was inspected and someone chose to sign off on it indicating -No Problems-.

Patsbro
stephent28
Posted 2005-04-20 5:30 PM (#156171 - in reply to #155938)

Pat,
Since you have the hightest sn of the bunch leads me to believe that "O" rushed the first ones out the door and then settled down and got it right.

I am not sure if I have the highest sn of those who have issues, but yours is 20+ guitars after mine and maybe they had time to get it right.
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-04-21 10:03 AM (#156172 - in reply to #155938)

Jeepers!
This thread grew while I was away. There is alot of very interesting thought through out.

The strength in any relationship comes from both parties trusting the intention of the other and in being able to openly and honestly share perspectives. I believe the intent of this thread is not to bash Ovation, but to share our experience as customers with other stakeholders. Sometimes this is difficult when one party is easily identifiable, i.e. Me or Al and another being more convaluted, Ovation the Company.

I own my own business and operate it on a very personal level. I actively seek feedback from my clients, BAD and GOOD. I do this to ehance our relationship. I also understand that my clients will be talking to others about their experiences. If their expectations with me were not met, I rely on my relationship with them to understand why, so that I can actively address their concerns and improve my service. Toward this end, our relationship is as important as my service. There have been very few ocassions when feedback was hard to hear, but hard to hear and hurtful intent are different things.

Nothing I have read on this thread leads me to believe anyone has a hurtful intent, though some of it, to some ears, may be hard to hear.

I do believe these guitars should be 10/10. To me this means that every appointment executed should be executed without detectable flaws. For those of us that have sold our used guitars- how many of us go to great length to insure that our "customer" knows EXACTLY what to expect?

All parties involved should be constructively engaged toward achieving superlative product quality, customer satisfaction, and Ovation's health as a company.

Many ways to do that. Let's make sure that our (All Stake Holders) behavoirs reflect our intentions.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-04-21 10:50 AM (#156173 - in reply to #155938)

Great post Jeff. Actually this entire thread is some of the most educational and honest reading I have seen on this board.

The thing we need to keep in mind is that this is (what we see) only a one sided story. Ovation as an official voice does not, and should not respond on this board. They are just not allowed to. So we only hear one side. Keep that in mind. I'm sure individual employees, managers and maybe the top dog himself are just chomping at the bit wanting to add their words here. But they can't. Don't interpret that as lack of commitment, caring, or un-willingness to fix what ever is wrong. I have huge trust in Kaman, Ovation, and the dealer network (especially Al).

Somebody fucked up. Simple as that. The right checks, procedures, or whatever were not in place. So be it. It'll get fixed. In the end the factory will learn form this and liklihood of a repeat in the future will be low. Buyers also need to be a little bit sware that some risk comes with buying a guitar sight unseen. That risk is mitigated by confidence in your dealer, and the company - both of which I have a lot of.

Dave
Beal
Posted 2005-04-21 2:30 PM (#156174 - in reply to #155938)

I think they did the right thing, at the wrong time.
noah
Posted 2005-04-21 4:46 PM (#156175 - in reply to #155938)

cwk2,
What was the right thing?
zchord
Posted 2005-04-21 5:04 PM (#156176 - in reply to #155938)

I love my U681T. It came in great shape and is an awesome guitar.
stephent28
Posted 2005-04-21 6:42 PM (#156177 - in reply to #155938)

Interesting,
Both Zchord and Patsbro say that their guitars have no issues. They are also the 2 highest serial numbers of anyone on the list.

This leads me to believe that early models were rushed out the door without complete QC being performed and later models had the care and attention that they all should have attained.
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-04-21 7:03 PM (#156178 - in reply to #155938)

Originally posted by cwk2:
I think they did the right thing, at the wrong time.
Ovation did the right thing at the right time. Just not like they have done it before.
Mr. Adamas
Posted 2005-04-21 8:10 PM (#156179 - in reply to #155938)

Originally posted by zchord:
The fit and finish on mine are a bit sloppt as well, for a guitar of this price and prestige. The epaulet glue is a little sloppy with patches of it around the wood on the top. I don't expect that top to be finished perfectly, based on the texturing. I looked through the manhole and noticed glue on the purfling and braces. It's kind of a rough guitar in the first place, not "pretty", ...
zchord, you said today the guitar arrived in great shape without problem, but you said something totally different few days ago???

i've been telling everyone to buy u681 & feel very bad about the problem you guys are having. guess i'd skip u681 & get u682 instead.
zchord
Posted 2005-04-21 8:26 PM (#156180 - in reply to #155938)

Originally posted by zchord:
The fit and finish on mine are a bit sloppy as well, for a guitar of this price and prestige. The epaulet glue is a little sloppy with patches of it around the wood on the top. I don't expect that top to be finished perfectly, based on the texturing. I looked through the manhole and noticed glue on the purfling and braces. It's kind of a rough guitar in the first place, not "pretty", but very sharp looking. I love it, it plays and sounds great and there are no major flaws, but the finish is sub par for an Ovation. I am happy with it.
Mr. Adamas (Sir)
Please read the whole post. I would not expect a textured top to be pristine and there are a couple of glue tags on the purfling. The most "perfect" one of these is still going to look rough, not pretty, by nature of the top, and earth tone colors. There are some little smudges on the top. There is nothing wrong with my guitar. Certainly nothing to complain about. As I said before, I love it and have no intention of letting it out of my grasp.
Mr. Adamas
Posted 2005-04-21 8:38 PM (#156181 - in reply to #155938)

what are you talking about? texture top adamas is supposed to have the problem you described?? ... "epaulet glue is sloppy with patches of glue around the epaulet" is normal?

i've been playing & collecting texture top adamaii for over 20 years. i just checked my adamii in the house. none of them has this kind of problem. FLAWLESS!!
stephent28
Posted 2005-04-21 11:40 PM (#156182 - in reply to #155938)

Which is exactly why we assumed the U681's would also be flawless....based on past experience and ownership.
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-04-24 4:39 PM (#156183 - in reply to #155938)

I tuned down to DADGAD for the first time on the U681T. I only know two tunes in this tuning.

...But good as the guitar sounds in standard tuning, it is even better in DADGAD and I'm not talking about the more melodic sound of the tuning but the way the guitar produces the sound.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-04-24 5:51 PM (#156184 - in reply to #155938)

Can I Join this thread?

I don't know how to explain this...Lets just say "what happens at an OFC get together, STAYS at and OFC get together...."
TexasDoc
Posted 2005-04-24 5:54 PM (#156185 - in reply to #155938)

Fred, that is just not fair. That was a great guitar with a booming sound. I wish you would have let some of the rest of us just touch the thing. We couldn't get it out of your hands...

As for the OFC Texas, maybe we need to make it a monthly gig.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-04-24 6:50 PM (#156186 - in reply to #155938)

Now thaty's just cruel... Y'all know I can't come out here and get a new Guitar every month!!!

:D
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2005-04-25 11:36 PM (#156187 - in reply to #155938)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:
I tuned down to DADGAD for the first time on the U681T. I'm not talking about the more melodic sound of the tuning but the way the guitar produces the sound.
Never been one for alternates, but I tried this...
All I can say is "WOW!!" we live on 3+ acres, and I'm sure I was shaking my neighbors' windows. Wait till I plug it into my amp..
Jump to page : < ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... >
Now viewing page 10 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)