The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : <12345 6 7891011 ... >
Now viewing page 6 [25 messages per page]
UPS JUST DELIVERED...

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Patsbro
Posted 2005-04-15 3:15 PM (#156063 - in reply to #155938)
Subject: Re: UPS JUST DELIVERED...

I just re-read all of the posts concerning the problems with the U681T and decided to inspect mine carefully. Everything is okay. One thing I did notice. Attached to the headstock was a Quality Assurance card listing Fit-Finish, Electronics-Intonation-Play test and Final Inspection. All three categories were initialed as passed. This is the first time that I have seen a Quality Assurance check list on a new Ovation. If anyone decides to follow through with the factory you may wish to mention the card and who signed off on it.

Patsbro
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Slipkid
Posted 2005-04-15 3:31 PM (#156064 - in reply to #155938)

One of those cards came with my AD-II.
zchord
Posted 2005-04-15 3:34 PM (#156065 - in reply to #155938)

The fit and finish on mine are a bit sloppt as well, for a guitar of this price and prestige. The epaulet glue is a little sloppy with patches of it around the wood on the top. I don't expect that top to be finished perfectly, based on the texturing. I looked through the manhole and noticed glue on the purfling and braces. It's kind of a rough guitar in the first place, not "pretty", but very sharp looking. I love it, it plays and sounds great and there are no major flaws, but the finish is sub par for an Ovation. I am happy with it.
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-04-15 3:50 PM (#156066 - in reply to #155938)

Patsbro,
I've got that same card. I will include a copy in any future correspondence.
alpep
Posted 2005-04-15 9:46 PM (#156067 - in reply to #155938)

Originally posted by Jeff W.:
Al,
Should I write a letter to Rick???
I think you already have.
noah
Posted 2005-04-15 9:58 PM (#156068 - in reply to #155938)

The Mothership knows of our concerns.
#21139 seems to exhibit all of the above and more.

The first thing that visitors see when they come to this site is aLeX’s quote, "Ovation Guitars really don't get the respect they deserve!”
I am embarrassed for our friends at the Mothership, as they know that they have inadvertently let us down.

In a perfect world, if up to the artisans making our guitars, you would never find a flaw.
But in today’s world of “bean counting”, the time allowed for perfection becomes just another variable in the equation of profitability and investor return.

Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the RIGHT people and not the obvious chewing out of the little people.
When the perceived Quality on a product dips like this, I look further, way further, up the line.
QA always boils down to “meet requirements”. What are my requirements? I did not use a microscope. At first I did not even have my reading glasses on. If I can see it, or feel it, and it does not belong there… it does not meet my requirements.

I knew the U681T would play and sound heavenly. My expectation was a larger than life version of my ’97 Collector’s… 12 fret, larger bowl, but unsure of what the Adamas top would add to the mix. Someone I think even brought up the ’97 in their review?
We waited for these guitars to ship. I was anxious to tune her up and spend some quality time with her… I just could not get past the fit and finish.

Please practice making 99 U681Ts and I will wait for the last one. thank you, bruce
stephent28
Posted 2005-04-16 9:35 PM (#156069 - in reply to #155938)

so the mothership knows are concerns.....what are they going to do about it?

Bruce, sorry I have been unavailable to grab your calls. Been very busy on a project that I have to have finished by tomorrow (Sunday) evening. I will try to give you a call Sunday PM.
noah
Posted 2005-04-17 5:24 AM (#156070 - in reply to #155938)

Originally posted by stephent28:
so the mothership knows our concerns... what are they going to do about it?
T28, What would you want them to do about issues on your U681T?

I voiced my opinion and said what I wanted.
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-04-17 8:34 AM (#156071 - in reply to #155938)

Acknowledgement on Ovation's part would be a start. We all bought these guitars, sight unseen, because we are, not only fans, but LOYAL CUSTOMERS. There are few more valuable assets to a Corporation, than loyal customers. We are loyal because we apppreciate the quality of Ovation instruments and trust that Ovation will maintain the standards that made us loyal customers in the first place. Not many people would lay down $1700.00 for a product, sight unseen, on faith, without a deep measure of trust in the manufacturer.

Ovation should treat this like a Recall in addition to standing by their warranty for materials and workmanship. Acknowledge the problems, accept accountability and offer remedies/repair/replacement at no charge to customers with legitimate issues. Ovation should trust us not to take unfair advantage of such and offer.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-04-17 9:22 AM (#156072 - in reply to #155938)

Acknowledgement on Ovation's part would be a start.
I wouldn't look for a responce or even an acknowledgement from Ovation here on the OFC. Those concerned should just go through the proper channels. I have to think that their concerns will be addressed.
fugot
Posted 2005-04-17 10:16 AM (#156073 - in reply to #155938)

Well,
I must be lucky. My fit and finish is not perfect, but pretty close.
I have a slightly larger then pin size hole between neck, binding and bowl. Side of ebony fretboard on high E side has small indentation near nut and very small adhesive drip on soundboard end of fretboard. The headstock has three small dimples in the black paint. Lastly, my D string totally touches the truss rod cover.
With all that said, I would buy this guitar again. I wish the fit and finish were perfect. But the sound is really why I bought.
This was my concern that the big O factory would be rushed in making so many guitars/models at once. BUT they did just build this for us loyal fans, as I understand it. If it is a choice of having this guitar the way it is, or not having it at all, I would still take it the way it is.
Maybe, I am luckier with the one I received. Just my 1.5 cents worth. peace mike
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-04-17 10:26 AM (#156074 - in reply to #155938)

Brad,
I would not expect Ovation to make any sort of acknowledgement in this forum. My thought would be notification by mail much as an automobile manufacturer would. And/or working through the dealers.

I think it important to say, I am not angry or mad at Ovation. Just disappointed in the workmanship of this particular product. Had this guitar been on a self at GC, I would have spent time with it played it and looked it over carefully before I purchased. In this circumstance I didn't have that opportunity, and relied on the trust I have in Ovation and their QC to deliver a first rate product to those of us who pre-ordered and put money up front to assure Ovation there was interest for this product AND insure that we would get one of a very limited run.
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-04-17 10:35 AM (#156075 - in reply to #155938)

Quote by Fugot:
"If it is a choice of having this guitar the way it is, or not having it at all, I would still take it the way it is."

Mike,
I have to agree with you, I love the way this guitar sounds and plays, and I would certainly rather have it than not. However, I don't think that the choice had (or has) to be great sounding guitar with finish issues, or no guitar at all.
stephent28
Posted 2005-04-17 11:15 AM (#156076 - in reply to #155938)

Slipkid

With 3 separate people signing off of the "quality" of the instrument, the mothership must feel that the guitars met their QC goals.

I don't see them doing or acknowledging anything, otherwise these would have never left the building.

Remember, this isn't like 1 or 2 out of the 100 who are experiencing a problem. This is 9 of the 10 who have one and also are on the OFC. If we have 90% of the guitars shipped with a problem, I don't see that the other 90 guitars to be shipped out will be any better. A 10% sampling is a pretty darn large sample for marketing.

I personally will probably not be buying any more high end Ovations sight unseen without some heavy assurances that I will receive a quality guitar.

The serial number fiasco for a ltd ed guitar is just icing on the cake. You think with all the comments voiced about the 1719-30CM that a lesson might have been learned.

But then what do I know.....I'm just an idiot that plays guitar and buys them sight unseen!
Slipkid
Posted 2005-04-17 12:16 PM (#156077 - in reply to #155938)

I'm not saying that the factory is not without fault. I'm just suggesting that given the opportunity, the system will work. Make your claim up the chain of command.
I can't see them sending out a letter of recall for every guitar made without having a specific problem on all hundred of them.
Anyway...I'm not trying too defend them or minimize the problems. I just play their guitars and wear their hats & shirts.

As Treebeard might say... "Hoom Hum...Now now my fine hobbits...Lets not be hasty!"
stephent28
Posted 2005-04-17 12:23 PM (#156078 - in reply to #155938)

Slipkid said:
I'm saying that the factory is without fault
I think you meant to say that the factory is "not" without fault.
Slipkid
Posted 2005-04-17 12:30 PM (#156079 - in reply to #155938)

I stand corrected. I edited my post.
I should have known better than to use an awkward double negative in a sentence.
Being able to edit my posts is reely grate.
stephent28
Posted 2005-04-17 1:12 PM (#156080 - in reply to #155938)

and now makes my post look silly!
You are a slippery one :D
noah
Posted 2005-04-17 1:37 PM (#156081 - in reply to #155938)

Originally posted by Slipkid:
Being able to edit my posts is reely grate .
Having a spell checker would be priceless.

Never the less, we get our point across even with homonyms.

Obvious fit and finish problems in 90% of an initial 10% sample indicates an issue to be addressed. Work through your dealer (more work for aLeX, sorry).

Most of us would say that the Mothership usually exceeds our expectations.
Let’s prove to them again that we are their best Focus Group.

A sloppy job is either a result of apathy or the lack of time, materials, and equipment. We all know that Production is maxed-out. Soon it will lead to burn-out, which results in apathy. I hope that Management realizes what is starting to happen. This is a hand-made product. Even machines exhibit higher failure rates at increased output.
texbaz
Posted 2005-04-17 6:17 PM (#156082 - in reply to #155938)

A sloppy job is either a result of apathy or the lack of time, materials, and equipment. We all know that Production is maxed-out. Soon it will lead to burn-out, which results in apathy. I hope that Management realizes what is starting to happen. This is a hand-made product. Even machines exhibit higher failure rates at increased output

Noah,
The words you wrote speak volumes.
It is very sad when a Product whatever it is. is executed poorly,and that's being kind.
I have worked in the aviation industry for the past 25yrs and have watched bottom line, take precedent over quality, period. And I work for the BEST corporate aircraft manufacture in the world.

When I pickup an article,item,tool,guitar whatever it is I tend to examine like I'm inspecting it at work and I don't deviate or try comply with the intent it is or it isn't.

So, when you guy's purchased a special production guitar from a Manufacture as good as Ovation and recieve a product executed poorly the production process of that guitar has issues. Weather it be Personal pride in work or
any of the reasons you mentioned in your comment.
And in a professional way Ovation should be informed.

When I first purchased a s771-4 it had very poor finish on the binding around the body and the fretts stuck out of the neck way to much for just a dry condition scenerio. I sent it back thinking I'll get a more expensive one like the 1771LX-4 well it too had issues.

Regardless of my current problems I feel that from what I have read on this board and my own conversation with John Budney and Kim that if I feel that my guitar needs to be addressed I can send it back at any time. That is one of the best reasons to own an Ovation.
Sorry for the Rant I'm Out.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-04-17 6:44 PM (#156083 - in reply to #155938)

"...we get our point across even with homonyms"

What do gay nyms have to do with anything?
fugot
Posted 2005-04-17 9:20 PM (#156084 - in reply to #155938)

Well,
first to jeff, after rereading I agree with you it should not have to be a guitar with finish problems or no guitar at all. I meant, as for mine, i would take it (and am )the way it is.

But after spending a sunny afternoon playing it and inspecting it even more, I have a couple more comments.
I actually think the fretboard is bound with ebony. I did not notice it at first because both are in fact ebony colored. My neck binding (?) has lots of little nicks in it. It really has the most visual finish defects. One major indent near 1st fret and nicks and such.
also my preamp has the output connection empty.
(no big deal).
finally my saddle/pu/ assembly seems a little loose, small vibration, but nothing big or worrisome. I think I can just tighten it myself from underneath, (well I hope, actually have no
idea).
For comparison, The fit and finish on my 2005 -es collectors is much much better then this U681t.
I am totally in the camp for a separate serial number for a limited edition run. I am not sure why, I just do/am.
Overall, I still love this guitar, but of course I am biased. But I would hope that the factory slows down and really puts there best product out the door.
still just my humble opinion and random thoughts...mike
stephent28
Posted 2005-04-17 9:59 PM (#156085 - in reply to #155938)

Jeff had me second guessing my comments about the fretboard binding being cracked on mine at the fifth fret.

Glad to see you feel that there is a binding on yours also.

Jeff....check yours closer and let me know.
Designzilla
Posted 2005-04-17 10:06 PM (#156086 - in reply to #155938)

You get what you pay for?

I've been following this thread closely. All of your early descriptions of this guitar were giving me a BAD case of GAS. Sounds like some of you are satisfied in spite of the issues with your instrument.

If you had been told before your purchase that you were getting a brand new guitar (not FRG) that played and sounded great, but had minor cosmetic issues (sounds like a lot of eBay descriptions), would you have been as eager to spend your hard earned cash? Would you have expected a discount?

I'm really not sure what I would do in your situation. Really, how a guitar plays and sounds is the most important thing, BUT I would be very disappointed, easpecially given the limited number of guitars.

Good luck to everybody. I'll be watching this one.
And tell me, knowing what you know, would you still buy?

I still kind of want one.
stephent28
Posted 2005-04-17 11:33 PM (#156087 - in reply to #155938)

Of course you want one. It is a wonderful playing and sounding guitar............

but, a ltd edition should not have cosmetic issues. It should be cream of the crop and that is what we expected.

Most of these guitars...if sold on ebay, would have to be listed as excellent but not mint with minor flaws to the finish.

Kinda like driving that new car off the lot. I feel that you are losing way to much value based on it's cosmetic condition before it ever leaves the case.
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... >
Now viewing page 6 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)