The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything.” -Plato

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Namm show in INdy

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

alpep
Posted 2005-07-20 6:31 PM (#143249)
Subject: Namm show in INdy

Due to a sudden change of last minute plans I will be attending the Namm show in Indy this Friday and Sat. If anyone else is going and wants to hook up send me an e mail
Top of the page Bottom of the page
richardd
Posted 2005-07-20 6:34 PM (#143250 - in reply to #143249)
Subject: Re: Namm show in INdy

Ovation planning on unveiling anything new ?
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-07-20 8:34 PM (#143251 - in reply to #143249)

I believe somebody whispered something about deep contour bowl availability on the Custom Legend and Custom Elite.

If you get a chance, Al, might want to go see the Speedway and the Speedway Museum.....worth at least one trip. Lotsa cool cars besides Indy race cars in the museum.

Roger
beatlejuice53
Posted 2005-07-20 9:19 PM (#143252 - in reply to #143249)

I'd like to go if I can get in. I do live kinda close.
Bill
alpep
Posted 2005-07-23 8:42 AM (#143253 - in reply to #143249)

some new models.
there is now an elite t bass in flmaes.
I will report back on them later.

the ofc guitar is a go and I will be taking orders soon.

the meeting of original slot head owners will also take place in early fall. If you have an original slothead adamas and want to attend send me an e mail. No firm date set on this one, I have to make a call to one of the owners to make sure he will be in town...

more info later
Beal
Posted 2005-07-23 8:12 PM (#143254 - in reply to #143249)

In town till early October Al.
stonebobbo
Posted 2005-07-23 9:21 PM (#143255 - in reply to #143249)

The Nikki Sixx bass lives!
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-07-24 7:39 AM (#143256 - in reply to #143249)

A couple of people I know went this weekend, lucky dogs. I said something about it yesterday, and was told I should have said something earlier, and they would have gotten me a visitors pass. Maybe next year. :)
Beal
Posted 2005-07-24 7:48 AM (#143257 - in reply to #143249)

I heard they were walking around Indy giving passes out to all musicians to pump up the attendance figures. Not that NAMM would ever try to distort the popularity of their own shows.....
cliff
Posted 2005-07-24 5:49 PM (#143258 - in reply to #143249)

(ahem) ;)
alpep
Posted 2005-07-24 10:38 PM (#143259 - in reply to #143249)

Not sure about the attendance, it was rather light and I heard vendors complaining. There was the midwest music conference in town and a large amount of goth dressed youths around. Some interesting hair colors.

anyway
elite T bass with flames Nikki Sixx model. It is a limited run look for this bass in the lineup with dots and no signature next year.

elte T with tribal flames and purple metal flake. Limted edition and I bought the sample so I will be the first one on the block with this one. You may have seen this one if you were on the tour.

2 models are now avail with the contour body, the custom legend and custom elite.

the country artist is now the artist and available with Lx upgrades In fact I took that one home too.

nylon string 1773 LX is now also avail similar to the artist except the wider width neck and 12 frest clear of the body.

I will be taking orders for Adamas I 30th anniv reissues if you want one let me know.

I will get back to slothead adamas owners when I find more info about the gathering. It will be in the early fall. If you are interested e mail me your contact information.

The OFC guitar is a go. It will not be completed until early 06 along with the #47 reissiue
Basically we will have #47 with electronics in the original blue. I may be able to offer this in red but not sure about any other changes. it will have the reissue 2 knob electronics.

My vision for this guitar is to prsent it as a package, I have some ideas for items that I am going to include with it such as Adamas picks, strings, a capo, certificate, perhaps an upgraded case, but I am not sure on what I will be able to provide. I want to make this guitar as special as possible for the members of the fan club. If you are interested in an OFC model e mail me with OFC guitar in the subject line.

I just want to add that over and over again, I was told at the show how much the board is read in bloomfield and by the sales reps and how it helps to form opinions. You have a voice believe me and it is a voice that is considered valid.

Now i have to get to sleep. I may be waking up to hammering tomorrow morning....
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2005-07-25 12:37 PM (#143260 - in reply to #143249)

So is the Custom Legend and Custom Elite deep contour bowl available in 12 string?
alpep
Posted 2005-07-25 2:41 PM (#143261 - in reply to #143249)

not as yet
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-25 4:10 PM (#143262 - in reply to #143249)

I like the way Yeronner thinks!
Jeff
Posted 2005-07-26 12:01 PM (#143263 - in reply to #143249)

Al,

Any word on when/if lefty LX models will be offered; and do you think there will EVER be a lefty contour bowl?

Jeff
leftovertion
Posted 2005-07-26 12:16 PM (#143264 - in reply to #143249)

I have to second Jeff's question about lefty LX's and lefty contoured body guitars???

I'm thinking about another O (a Balladeer nylon string), but if waiting another year will yield some other lefty options, well, I want to be a good steward of my kids' inheritance! :p
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-26 1:47 PM (#143265 - in reply to #143249)

I wouldn't hold your breath on lefty contoured and LX bowl guitars. It means new molds for the bowls. When Ovation is selling everything in sight, they have no incentive to spring for new equipment to satisfy a small portion of the market.

Sometimes, reality sucks......
schroeder
Posted 2005-07-26 1:49 PM (#143266 - in reply to #143249)

"Sometimes, reality sucks"

I'll drink to that. Oh, I am.
Jeff
Posted 2005-07-26 8:11 PM (#143267 - in reply to #143249)

Originally posted by moody, p.i.:
I wouldn't hold your breath on lefty contoured and LX bowl guitars. It means new molds for the bowls. When Ovation is selling everything in sight, they have no incentive to spring for new equipment to satisfy a small portion of the market.

Sometimes, reality sucks......
Paul, I know you were just offering your thoughts on the matter, and I'm sure you're correct to a large degree in your assesment. However, if what your saying truly does reflect Ovation's position on the lefty market--and they feel they just can't be "bothered" with it--then there are plenty of other makers of fine acoustic guitars that have and will welcome business from us southpaws... And they won't have to make special "molds" to do it either!

I've played Ovations (acoustics and a/e's) exclusively for nearly 35 years, and I'll always cherish my vintage Ovations. But if the big O is gonna leave me in the dust when it comes to new product, then I'll be more than happy to throw my money at Martin or any other guitar company that's willing to sell me a state-of-the-art left-handed instrument.

Of course, I could never jump off the Ovation bandwagon entirely. Like I said, I still have my "oldies" that I dearly love, and they are as much a part of my musical heritage as the artists that have inspired me over the years. However, I'm reminded of Ronald Reagan's famous quote when he was asked why he left the Democratic party to become a Republican. He said, "I didn't leave the democratic party... It left me."

Jeff
leftovertion
Posted 2005-07-26 9:09 PM (#143268 - in reply to #143249)

Jeff, you've got the right attitude. It's one I try to have as well.

As I've gotten older, the reality of market forces, supply and demand, and the limited number of lefty players (and how often they will pony up for new instruments) has made me respect the manufacturer's perspective on what it costs to build lefty instruments - I understand that in many ways, they're doing us a favor...they could all just tell us to learn to play right-handed.

It would be nice, though, to get at least a respectful reply from Ovation about when we could realistically (if ever; I'll accept that) expect to see some lefty LX's or contour bowl O's.

It would help us make decisions about whether to order a guitar now, rather than order a guitar and then find out that within 6 months or a year lefties will suddenly be available in a model we're interested in.

That's all we're asking.

:cool:
Jeff
Posted 2005-07-27 11:59 AM (#143269 - in reply to #143249)

Mike, You say they're "doing us a favor...?" I respectfully disagree. Don't misunderstand, I'm glad (and grateful) that most guitar makers offer left handed models, but I don't think it's out of any sense of altruism or charity. Believe me, they wouldn't offer them if there wasn't some money to be made.

As far as how often leftys are willing to pony up for new instruments, I can only speak for myself. My family and I were blessed with a small windfall this year, and as a result, I've spent approx. $7000 on new left handed guitars, of which Chris Martin and Co. got about two thirds. I don't say that as a slam at Ovation, but rather, to emphasize the point that had a lefty Elite LX or Legend LX been in the offing, I more than likely would have spent the money on at least one, if not BOTH, of those instead.

I know beggars can't be choosers, and I suppose being a lefty kinda puts us in that "beggar" position. But in the end, a beggar's gonna go wherever he thinks he can best find food.

Jeff
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-27 12:26 PM (#143270 - in reply to #143249)

I can't argue with what you guys are saying. But keep in mind that it costs about 80-100 grand for Ovation to tool up for a left handed guitar like the contour bowl or the LX, whereas somebody like Martin can do it relatively inexpensively.

I suspect that Ovation will do that, somewhere down the road, with the contoured bowls, because that's going to be the major bowl of the future (my opinion).

But in the meantime, well, reality sucks.....
ChatMan
Posted 2005-07-27 12:37 PM (#143271 - in reply to #143249)

Do you really think the contour bowl's the one to go with? I've found the thickness of the bass bout a little uncomfortable, at least during the month I've had mine for. I agree the flat back is nice but I'm not so sure, with the thickness of the bass bout that this is the design to go to.

What do ya think Moodyman? Which direction you want to go in?
Standingovation
Posted 2005-07-27 12:46 PM (#143272 - in reply to #143249)

The "product tooling price police" have spoken!

But Mr.Pi brings up a good point - the achielles heel of Ovation may in fact be that it is more difficult (=more investment) to start up a LH version of something than it is for Martin and the other wood box guys due to the whole bowl thing.

The truth is that the consumer has to go to where the produst is. If Martin offers LH guitars and O does not, then that's an easy choice to make. Although personally, I would rather cut off my left arm and learn to play a rightly Ovation one handed while I bleed to death before playing a 12-string Martin.

What would help, would probably be if O could give some indication WHEN they will have LH versions of certain guitars to avoid interested buyers from going off and doing something silly (like cuting off their arms).

Dave
Jeff
Posted 2005-07-27 12:46 PM (#143273 - in reply to #143249)

Paul,

I can appreciate the complexities involved in tooling up for a left handed contour bowl, but what's preventing the company from offering leftys in the LX line? Isn't it just the materials used that make the LX bowls different from the older ones? Why could they not use the "pre-LX" molds, if you will, to produce LH LX models?

Jeff
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)