The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Return Of The Supershallow Bowl

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Standingovation
Posted 2005-07-31 3:37 AM (#142290)
Subject: Return Of The Supershallow Bowl

Interesting that I thought we had heard that with the advent of the LX series, the Supershallow bowl was only going to be available on the import guitars. I guess not. Here's the press release:

Due to popular demand, Ovation is proud to introduce Super Shallow versions of popular LX series models.

Featuring all of the specs that make the LX series a success; Advanced Neck System, Ovation’s Original Patented Pickup, OP Pro preamp, Inlaid Epaulets, Scalloped Bracing and Lyrachord body, these models are sure to be a hit with those players who are accustomed to Ovation’s super shallow body.

Model:
1861LX - Super Shallow Standard Balladeer LX
6768LX - Super Shallow Standard Elite LX

Available as Special Order:
1867LX - Super Shallow Legend LX
1868LX - Super Shallow Elite LX
C868LX - Super Shallow Custom Elite LX

Dave
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-07-31 7:17 AM (#142291 - in reply to #142290)
Subject: Re: Return Of The Supershallow Bowl

Yuck. Well, it's only the entry-level U.S. stuff, but it sure blows the "let's improve Ovation's acoustic image" idea. I'd rather have seen them leave all the U.S.-made super-shallow bowls as special order only.

Roger
Standingovation
Posted 2005-07-31 7:40 AM (#142292 - in reply to #142290)

Yeah, I agree. I thought they threw that boat anchor overboard for good. It's too bad. But I guess they must feel there is a market for it and maybe it's a better cash cow than really trying to compete with Martin and Taylor on acoustic sound. Dave
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-31 8:33 AM (#142293 - in reply to #142290)

Sell the supershallow bowls and advertise the shit out of the mid and contoured bowls. Push the acoustic sound while giving the market what it wants. It makes sense, but I'm disappointed. I would have thought that the LX bowl and the Viper would have satisfied the ssb people.
alpep
Posted 2005-07-31 3:44 PM (#142294 - in reply to #142290)

have any of you policeman actually played one of these guitars?

a supershallow does NOT have to sound bad
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-31 3:55 PM (#142295 - in reply to #142290)

Al, you're missing the point here. Ssb's don't have to sound bad, but a year ago, Ovation was working to rebuild their reputation regarding unplugged acoustic guitars. U.S.A. built ssb's were only going to be shipped oversears. The LX bowl was a good compromise in size, with the contoured bowl following.

There's nothing wrong with the ssb's. I have no problem with them. But selling them in the U.S. is just going to make it harder for Ovation to sell the unplugged sound. Too many people play an ssb and believe that THAT is the sound of Ovations.

I'm more concerned about the differentiation of the U.S.A. built guitars and the overseas built instruments. I was in a Sam Ashe store yesterday (only place in Orange County that sells Hercules stands) and they had 3 U.S.A. built Ovations. The rest were all Celebs. And they were all mixed in together.
Standingovation
Posted 2005-07-31 4:01 PM (#142296 - in reply to #142290)

"...have any of you policeman actually played one of these guitars..."

Moody is the policeman, I'm the construction worker, Cliff is the indian, and Temp is the sailor ... oops, sorry bad Village People flashback.

Al, you're absolutely right. I have not played a supershallow bowl LX so I should not make the assumption that the acoustic sound sucks as bad as the 5 non-LX ones that I've owned. They may have made some great improvements. If anyone compares them side by side please give us a review. If I was a betting man ...

Dave
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-07-31 6:36 PM (#142297 - in reply to #142290)

(smiling)....actually, I'm an engineer.....

I HAVE played a SSB non-LX 6-string Legend that the unplugged acoustic sound was "OK" with(not great). And SSB 12-strings are actually quite nice. But if the LX was to rehabiitate the reputation of Ovation's unplugged acoustic sound, this just blows it out the window. The contour deep bowl is very much a step in the right direction. This is NOT.

I guess they can keep using the advertising slogan "Plug It In". Because anyone who doesn't want to will buy Martins or Taylors or Gibsons or Collings or Larrivees or.........

Roger
MWoody
Posted 2005-07-31 6:54 PM (#142298 - in reply to #142290)

I work in a place where there are several Engineers and only two trains, many indians but everyone wants to wear the Chief's headress, and the Cops are the least paid but get to carry sidearms. It doesn't have to make sense.

Having a bunch of different flavors to choose from is good. For a 12 string the smaller bowls would make sense when plugged in.
alpep
Posted 2005-07-31 7:00 PM (#142299 - in reply to #142290)

the shallow bowl was the first choice for stage musicians for many years. I am not surprised they brought it back.
did i ever tell you about the adamas textured top shallow bowl 12 string I owned? yup I did but no one listens to me because i am just an idiot that sells gear for a living
E.Sherman
Posted 2005-07-31 7:15 PM (#142300 - in reply to #142290)

Al, your honesty is refreshing....
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-07-31 7:48 PM (#142301 - in reply to #142290)

This is similar to Taylor's series 55, 10, 14 and 12 guitars. Taylor changes the size of the WHOLE guitar to get their differences in sound, while Ovation simply changes the bowl size.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2005-07-31 8:24 PM (#142302 - in reply to #142290)

Say it isn't so. Supershallow bowl LX models? Oh well, I guess some LXs will have supershallow sound. :(
cruster
Posted 2005-07-31 9:03 PM (#142303 - in reply to #142290)

You know, I own a super shallow bowl non-LX Ovation. When I bought it, it sounded better to me than a whole heckuvalot of 'traditional' designs as well as the two other deep (or artist...whatever) bowl used Ovations the store has.

I don't know if I've just gotten extremely lucky with my O or what, but everyone that plays it or hears it thinks it sounds absolutely fantastic. And they think it's beautiful. This whole 'supershallow bowls sound horrible' thing baffles me. Yeah, I've played the deeps and 'mediums' (or artist...whatever) bowls and they do sound good, but I don't think that the super shallow bowls sound 'bad.' Just different. A pleasing kind of different.

Maybe I (and a bunch of others) have a tin ear, though. Would explain some things. I'm just amazed at the supershallow bashing.
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-07-31 9:08 PM (#142304 - in reply to #142290)

I have a Celebrity Nylon string with a super shallow bowl. Acoustically not as much bass as the deeper bowl but, still a nice clean sound. Plugged in, I can run with the big dogs all day.

:D
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-31 9:28 PM (#142305 - in reply to #142290)

",,because i am just an idiot that sells gear for a living".

Al, I wish you'd stop saying this about yourself. Give the rest of us a chance to say it about you.

I've played some ssb's that were good guitars, unplugged. And I know you've talked about that Adamas 12 ssb. But when most people walking into a big music store see and play Celeb ssb's, well, that's what they believe Ovations are all about.

Personally, I would have waited a few years to have come out with ssb LX's. But what do I know? I'm just the friend of an idiot that sells gear for a living.

See? We can work it into posts just fine.
an4340
Posted 2005-07-31 10:07 PM (#142306 - in reply to #142290)

Put me in the camp for the super shallow body, imparticular, single sound hole version.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2005-07-31 11:00 PM (#142307 - in reply to #142290)

Does the MOB have a supershallow bowl?
Standingovation
Posted 2005-08-01 12:39 AM (#142308 - in reply to #142290)

I own an Adamas/Elite hybrid supershallow 12-string and it does sound nice. Maybe there's something unique about 12's and SS bowls, I don't know. I'm just an idiot who ... well I'm just an idiot.

OK, I'm not going to beat the dead horse any more. Everyone has their favorite ice creams. Just my personal opinion, but it bothers me that the guitar maker I love and respect keeps tripping over their own dick by confusing the consumer with identically named guitars that sound completely different, and by deceiving the buyer with the imports that are look-a-like knock offs of the USA models to most non-savvy buyers. They make some truely great sounding acoustic instruments and have the ability to make many more and finally compete on the basis of sound. But to do so means cleaning up all the bad perception out there. I reaslize the SS must be a real money maker for them and thus it's hard to justify dumping it.

Obviously a lot of people love the supershallow guitars and I don't in any way mean to talk down about the SS's. My hang up is that it just runs opposite of my desire to have Ovation be recognized as a great sounding guitar in the same breath as Martin, Taylor, Larivee and others. Then again, I bet the D-28 owners out there also bristle over compressed-fiber-board guitars and guitars painted with Mickey Mouse carrying the Martin name. So it goes.

Dave
bauerhillboy
Posted 2005-08-01 5:59 AM (#142309 - in reply to #142290)

I don't think the people in the Martin/Taylor/Larivee/whatever camps are ever gonna leave and come over to the Ovation camp. Ovations will always be a different animal. Ovation DOES have the job of selling as many guitars as they can so they can stay in business. That enables us to buy the guitars we love.
Stevechapman
Posted 2005-08-01 11:40 AM (#142310 - in reply to #142290)

Yes Paul, The MOB does come In Super Shallow. How many should Al order for you? :D
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2005-08-01 11:58 AM (#142311 - in reply to #142290)

U.S.-made SSBs are much better than the Celebs, but they still come up short acoustically even compared to the mid-bowls.

I've LOVE to hear the SSB Adamas that Al refers to. A good-sounding unplugged 6-string SSB certainly CAN exist. I just haven't heard one yet.

Roger
John B
Posted 2005-08-01 12:02 PM (#142312 - in reply to #142290)

I personally think that it's a good idea for Ovation to give the consumer more options, however, Dave makes a great point about confusing the consumer. They should consider having different model names for the shallow bowls. Someone who doesn't know better might judge all Legends by the sound of the shallow bowl version. If that consumer does not like the sound of the shallow bowl, he or she might write off the whole line bcause of it.

I had a super shallow Legend 12 and I was very happy with the sound. I bought it because I liked the sound of Cliff's guitar that sounds great at his gigs. I'm sure that many Ovation fans will be happy to hear that they can upgrade to the LX and still have a shallow bowl.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2005-08-01 6:06 PM (#142313 - in reply to #142290)

Thanks for the info on the MOB. That is one guitar that sounds every bit as good as it looks :)
jyam4
Posted 2005-08-01 7:39 PM (#142314 - in reply to #142290)

It's funny how fast the company included the ssb models to the website. There's models that have been out for months that have not been included yet.
Joe
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)