The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Adamas 2080

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2007Message format

Dr.Tom
Posted 2007-08-04 6:52 PM (#87509)
Subject: Adamas 2080

Well, if you followed the thread in the "For Sale Section" then you knew i bought a 2080 from "The Wabbit Formerly Known As Waskel"(aka John).

First of all, this guitar is an equisite site to behold. I now understand when people say that the pictures don't do it justice; so I now say: pictures don't do it justice !!It is very good looking and will definitely be a conversation piece.

Now for the sound: very deep bottom end and good top end and very good middle ranges as well.It is very articulate and all of the strings are distinguishable when strummed. It is definitely a canon that sustains for ever. A friend of mine who is a great guitar player couldn't get over the bottom end and sustain. This guitar is a keeper and I've only played it acoustically so far.

The only other good guitar I have to compare it to is my Taylor 814-CE. I know some here don't like Taylor but this 814 is outstanding.When I play this guitar in the presence of most other guitarists and their guitars it makes their jaws drop and they all then want to play it. It too is a canon acoustically and I'm having a hard time distinguishing between the two. I'm playing them one right after the other .Then reversing the sequence. I'm going to have to have some one else play them so I can listen in a blinded fashion so I can figure out the very subtle differences.

This is just my first day playing the guitar and it was only for an hour or so split between the two guitars. I can't wait to hear it plugged in. Unfortunately this is where the Taylor really disappoints with the ES expression system: if you don't A/B the Expression system to anything then it sounds OK. But compare it to any good preamp and it is just lifeless and bland and is also under powered.

So maybe tomorrow I'll plug her in and I'll let you know what I think of the electrified sound.

Waskel, you were absolutely right, I was not disappointed by this guitar; it definitely "brings it"!!

Regards,

Tom
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2007-08-04 6:58 PM (#87510 - in reply to #87509)
Subject: Re: Adamas 2080

How old is the Taylor?
You're right, most people don't like them, me included. But, the higher end ones can be good, especially some of the older ones.

Glad you're liking the 2080, they're great. Bring it to the next factory tour and put it on the neck stretching machine and make a long neck out of it!
Jeff W.
Posted 2007-08-04 7:21 PM (#87511 - in reply to #87509)

I know some one who has an old high-end (Bob) Taylor for sale.
edensharvest
Posted 2007-08-05 12:14 AM (#87512 - in reply to #87509)

Bill, I'm assuming the Taylor isn't one of the old ones, if it's got the ES on it.

My little 414 Koa/Spruce has the Fishman Prefix system, which is the big reason I bought it over any other wood-body guitar. Plugged in, it's an awesome preamp system. Acoustically it's got nothing on a nice deep-body texture top, but it's got a nice sound all on its own, and is fun to play.

Congrats Tom on your new baby!
Mr Kite
Posted 2007-08-05 4:19 AM (#87513 - in reply to #87509)

Hi

as a new member of the OFC I was so happy to read your description of the 2080. I have searched the globe for someone who could define the sound of the guitar, and I could not believe my eyes when I saw your description today :eek: . Sounds like a complex guitar sound to me when you describe it. I love the part about the sustain - sounds great. I´m buying a 2080 as well and I can´t wait to hear what you say about the sound when plugged in. Please if you have the opportunity to record something and mail me I will be more than grateful :D .

// Strepin
Dr.Tom
Posted 2007-08-05 10:33 AM (#87514 - in reply to #87509)

cwk2
posted August 04, 2007 08:58 PM

How old is the Taylor?
You're right, most people don't like them, me included. But, the higher end ones can be good, especially some of the older ones.

Glad you're liking the 2080, they're great. Bring it to the next factory tour and put it on the neck stretching machine and make a long neck out of it!
cwk2,

The Taylor is not an old one; I think it is an 2004. This Taylor guitar is just excellent. I got rid of my Taylor 314-CE because it was a joke !The 814-CE I have has the sound I'm looking for acoustically. I don't like Martins; I've tried to like them but when I went set out to buy a Martin D-28 or 35, I ended up getting the Taylor instead . I can't say that my Taylor guitar's sound is generalizable(is that a word ?)to all Taylors or even all 814's. All I know is that when I close my eyes and play it , it sounds fantastic to me.It sounds very similar to the 2080, but with some very subtle differences that a quick play was unable to resolve. So that is what this particular 814 sounds like. I also tried my Takamine EF360SC and it sounded pretty dead in comparison ; I'm hoping it just needs new strings.

Before I bought the 2080 I did a search of past posts and some of your posts were the ones that I read and helped sway me ; the majority of the post were overwhelmingly positive on the 2080 even though your were on the baritone version I believe. So I'm not trying to change your mind about Taylors, just explaining what mine sounds like. Maybe there is a long neck in my future !!

Regards,

Tom
Dr.Tom
Posted 2007-08-05 10:43 AM (#87515 - in reply to #87509)

edensharvest
August 05, 2007 02:14 AM

Congrats Tom on your new baby!
Andrew,

Thank you.

Regards,

Tom
Waskel
Posted 2007-08-05 10:50 AM (#87516 - in reply to #87509)

Tom, it's good to hear you are pleased with the guitar (although I knew you would be)!
It definitely has a unique appearance, and the sound... you did a better job describing it than I could.

Great doing business with you!!
Dr.Tom
Posted 2007-08-05 10:55 AM (#87517 - in reply to #87509)

strepin
posted August 05, 2007 06:19 AM
Hi
as a new member of the OFC I was so happy to read your description of the 2080. I have searched the globe for someone who could define the sound of the guitar, and I could not believe my eyes when I saw your description today [Eek!] . Sounds like a complex guitar sound to me when you describe it. I love the part about the sustain - sounds great. I´m buying a 2080 as well and I can´t wait to hear what you say about the sound when plugged in. Please if you have the opportunity to record something and mail me I will be more than grateful [Big Grin] .

// Strepin
Strepin,

Before I bought the 2080 ,among other things,I did a search of this site for "2080" and there was a lot of useful information about the 2080 there. Somewhere in my search there was a YouTube link of Matt Smith playing a 2080. Maybe some one else knows the link to it . Now the sound that I get through my computer isn't the greatest but that recording of him playing live was just one more bit of info that helped me decide to buy the 2080. As others had told me: you will not be disappointed with the 2080.

Regards,

Tom
Mr Kite
Posted 2007-08-05 1:24 PM (#87518 - in reply to #87509)

Hi Tom

I got that Matt clip from Jerome
some days ago but to me the sound
is a bit distant. I was hoping for a more
direct sound so you really hear the attack when you hit the strings. But I don´t wanna push you on that one. So I´ll guess I have to rest asure with all these good responsive voices found here about the 2080.

But if you ever change your mind about recording something, all i need is four bars of a solo or scaleplaying etc. and two bars of hard strumming - three chords ;) lined into cubase or logic - that would really make my day.

I´m playing a balladeer now and I´m just very curious about the differences. And as there are no adamas guitars available at all in this country (Sweden)- can you (and all you guys at OFC) believe that :confused: it is hard to imagine what a 2080 would sound like lined into a computer. There you have it - the story behind my need,
but I´ll survive :rolleyes: - take care.

Strepin
Dr.Tom
Posted 2007-08-05 8:33 PM (#87519 - in reply to #87509)

strepin,

I don't have computer recording capabilities so I'm afraid I can't help you. However I do have a Standard Balladeer and i did compare it acoustically to the 2080. The Balladeer by itself sounds like a half way decent guitar so I don't want to say that its not a good guitar.

Compared to the 2080,however, the Balladeer sounds muddy in the bass register. All the notes are not as clear when the guitar is strummed. It is not resonant like the 2080 and certainly doesn't have the same open spacious sound of the 2080. It also is not as loud and doesn't have the same sustain and is very muted sounding; the notes don't ring as nicely as those from the 2080.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Tom
Mr Kite
Posted 2007-08-06 9:28 AM (#87520 - in reply to #87509)

Hi Tom

That´s just what I wanted to know basically.
I didn´t realize words alone would be capable carriers of describing the differences between the two guitars, but you really nailed it. Thank´s a lot.

regards

//Tony Strepin
TexasDoc
Posted 2007-08-06 1:57 PM (#87521 - in reply to #87509)

Here is a sound bit of my Custom 2080 12 fret. It's large at 1.3 MB so make sure you have broadband.

Sound bite

(Actually, the only thing similar between mine and the 2080 is the sound hole.)
Dr.Tom
Posted 2007-08-06 6:22 PM (#87522 - in reply to #87509)

ttenn
posted August 06, 2007 03:57 PM

Here is a sound bit of my Custom 2080 12 fret. It's large at 1.3 MB so make sure you have broadband.
ttenn,

Very, very ,nice !!

Regards,

Tom
Mr Kite
Posted 2007-08-07 4:11 AM (#87523 - in reply to #87509)

You guys are really helpful.

It was great to hear that clip from your custom 2080. It really has a lot more tone, body and sustain compared to my balladeer. It really jumps at you at aprox. 0.56 sec. when you solo. My guitar sounds muted compared to your 2080 - just like Tom said. I´m really beginning to see how the sound will improve when I update to a 2080.

A second thing though regarding strings which also has a lot to do with the sound. I use D'addario EXP11 and EJ16. The EJ16 makes the balladeer more bright sounding and open compared to the EXP which gives it a more muted although a more powerful sound.

ttenn - What strings did you use on that clip you posted? The sound was very bright and carried a lot of sustain. And have any of you guys tried Elixir nanoweb strings? They are like EXP also coated strings?

// Strepin
TexasDoc
Posted 2007-08-07 9:34 AM (#87524 - in reply to #87509)

I use the Savarez 1610MF strings. They are a classical steel low tension. Guitar center carries them here. You could get them online as well.

I use the nanowebs on the Millenium and Adamas 1818s on the Legend.
Mr Kite
Posted 2007-08-07 2:15 PM (#87525 - in reply to #87509)

ttenn,

I´ll try these Savarez1610MF the next time I put some new ones on. They are available here in Sweden too. And maybee that will open up my balladeer a bit and keep me happy enough until i got my 2080 :-)

thank´s a lot for guiding me in the magic world of sound.

//strepin
TexasDoc
Posted 2007-08-07 2:53 PM (#87526 - in reply to #87509)

The only problem I find with the Savarez is that they don't handle strumming very well. They are definitely a finger-picker's string. I think its the low tension.
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2007-08-07 3:26 PM (#87527 - in reply to #87509)

Strepin,

TTenn is correct. the Savarez 1610MF's don't handle big strummin' very well. They are just too thin and light. They wouldn't be my first suggestion for the Balladeer.

I've been giving a set of Rotosounds a workout on my Koa Slothead. If you want Bright, I would try the their Country Gold's or the D'Addario 80/20 Bronze. I know the coated strings (EXP's Elixer's etc) are popular, but I don't like them. Nanoweb P/B's are OK. They just sound dead and feel weird to me.

I can't see the 2080 *needing* anything heavier than 12-53's to get the top moving. Stay with the extra lights. Your fingers will thank you!!
Mr Kite
Posted 2007-08-10 4:49 AM (#87528 - in reply to #87509)

OK! Now I have a lot of options next time I buy strings. I think I´ll go for the 80/20 next time I restring. They seems to have what I´m after.

But is it really a difference between the EXP and D'Addario 80/20 Bronze. They seems to have the same mix of copper and tin.
Is it the coating on the EXP that holds back the tone?

I don´t know why but I have always thought of the EXP as similar to 80/20 because of the same mix of copper and tin. So I have never actually tried the 80/20 :( So, thanks to mtnbikerfred for making me see the obvious.

One more thing - have any of you tried Dean Marcley´s alchemy strings? They have a set that are also coated but not with a polymer as on the EXP, instead they are electroplated with something called "MC394K Bright-coat" :eek:
- something that originally was developed to protect small components on satelites :cool: .

You can´t blame the string companys for being lazy, although it makes me wonder what´s next - guitar strings with a nuclear core - "The Atom strings" - the next generation of strings that makes both you and your guitar shine :)
But what do I care - just as long as my guitar sounds great ;)

//Strepin
mtnbikerfred
Posted 2007-08-10 2:18 PM (#87529 - in reply to #87509)

Alchemys, Cleartones, Elixers, EXP's, Extralifes, and even some gold plated strings, are all about the same thing: Prevent oxidation from sweat & inclusions (crud in between the windings) on the wrapped strings. Period. They still all wear out mechanically after a certain amount of time as evidenced by the little dents in them from the frets and the weird inability to sound like there in tune (when the tuner says they are).

I would rather buy, play and enjoy the sound of 3 sets of uncoated strings for about the same price as a set of coated strings that I'm going to physically wear out in the same amount of time (10-20hrs of play).

You really want an eye opener? Spend the same amount as you would on nice coated strings on some "boutique" strings Form John Pearse, Savarez, DR, Rotosound, Hannabach (nylon),GHS, Thomastic-Infeld.

What you'll discover (good or bad) about your guitar is worth the cost of a good set of strings
Mr Kite
Posted 2007-08-11 3:37 AM (#87530 - in reply to #87509)

It seems to me that i´ve been looking in the wrong directions trying to improve the sound of my guitar with late inventions - like the coated strings. The good thing is that when my 2080 arrives I´ve been throught the "John Pearse, Savarez, DR, Rotosound, GHS, Thomastic-Infeld" and hopefully I will be able to string the guitar in line with the sound i´m after. Although the body will be different from the balladeer I will know where to look.

This guy Thomastic-Infeld was totally new to me.
they provide both the John Pearse you mention (at least I guess that´s the one) and some strings called "SPECTRUM BRONZE"
clear, balanced tone, ideal for recording sessions
And listen to this, quoted from the net:

"At last, the ultimate acoustic guitar string for recording, SPECTRUM BRONZE Series. You'll hear and feel the difference in the toughest situations from studio to stage. The treble strings are plain silver steel, the wound strings have a highly polished bronze covering. Deep basses, superb midrange and ultra clear highs, hive extra power for those "intense" moments. SPECTRUM BRONZE Series deliver all this, ... and more!"

Sounds terrific!!

It´s a great feeling when the world you live in suddenly becomes "wider". So, mtnbikerfred - I take a bow.

regards

//Strepin
lanaki
Posted 2007-10-09 10:58 PM (#87531 - in reply to #87509)

is the 2080 a good, loud strummer? is it "plastic" or woody sounding?
moody, p.i.
Posted 2007-10-09 11:26 PM (#87532 - in reply to #87509)

They sound like a damn fine Adamas......
Beal
Posted 2007-10-10 8:47 AM (#87533 - in reply to #87509)

+1 to Moody
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)