The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It's much too late to do anything about rock & roll now ..." - Jerry Garcia / Grateful Dead

Jump to page : 12
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
A Fresh Outlook on the LX.......

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-04-19 7:23 PM (#189525)
Subject: A Fresh Outlook on the LX.......

Hi all,

By now some of you may think that I am anti-LX from some of the comments I have made. Not at all. It's just that the one LX I had played I did not care for, and I was waiting to try others.

This last Saturday I finally found TWO LXs in the same place, Marshall Music in Lansing, MI. They had a NE Burst Standard Elite LX, like I had played at Elderly in January, and a 1771 Balladeer LX in Cherry.

Well, the Standard Elite was just no good to my ears. NO richness, NO depth. I dunno if it is that I don't like Elites or what. They had a non-LX Elite (the higher model) they had discounted to move it and I liked it even less.

The Balladeer was a different story. Nice rich sound, played well. Worth the money.

There was a gentleman there playing Ovations(and listening to me play them) with an eye to buying one and he agreed with me, the 1771 was great, the Elites were not as good. He may have taken the 1771 LX home with him.

The 1771 LX was NOT better than my non-LX 1777, however. OR my old 1617. The Balladeer LX is well worth a play and hear if you can find one. But I don't think it is worth selling any guitars one already has to get one.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1978 Ovation 1617-4 Legend 6-string
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Ovation 1777-NAT Legend 6-string
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-04-19 7:50 PM (#189526 - in reply to #189525)
Subject: Re: A Fresh Outlook on the LX.......

Roger, one problem with trying any guitar in a store are dead strings. I never judge a guitar unless it has new strings on it. When I got my Legend LX I took it out the case and thought it sounded great. But I put new strings on it right away and it sounded awesome! Just because a guitar is new does not mean its strings are any good. Strings can go dead for no reason, and until new strings are on the guitar, you will not know how it sounds.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-04-19 9:55 PM (#189527 - in reply to #189525)

But Paul, you got it direct from the factory...I'm not as bad as Al, I replace them just before they rust. :eek: :p :eek:
Slipkid
Posted 2004-04-19 10:18 PM (#189528 - in reply to #189525)

A month ago I played a 30th that had just come in. That guitar had some jump. Four weeks later I played it again and had to wonder if it was the same guitar. It did still kinda.....hop....but no jump.
I will get a chance to play an LX someday. Then, I might have a different opinion. For now, I have to trust that Ovation has made the changes to make an improved guitar. It might take weeks of playing at home to get familiar with a new guitar. And I don't want to have to say that my Old Balladeer is better or worse. I *expect* them to be different.
Brad
Englishplayer
Posted 2004-04-19 11:00 PM (#189529 - in reply to #189525)

I'm not sure this is a fresh outlook. It sounds like the same one you've posted previously. I think my elite lx is fantastic, but I don't expect everyone else to hold the same belief. I have not heard anyone who has played one to think it didn't sound good, but I'm sure some will not like it. Some folks prefer the legends to the elites, some opposite of that, some like both, and some folks think all Ovations suck. All is well. I have a shallow bowl balladeer and a mid bowl elite lx and couldn't be happier with each purchase. In both cases, I received more than I expected and do not plan to get rid of either. I just think it's great Ovation is moving forward and not remaining stagnant in terms of competetion with other makers. I believe my elite lx to sound better than previous elite models I have played in stores.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-04-20 12:58 AM (#189530 - in reply to #189525)

As some of you are aware...this past year I have been able to get a number of O's and an Adamas (the Millennium.)

Other than a CL 12 (1658) that I got way back in 1981, I had never played another O product. Only way I have been able to play them is to buy them. I know, poor Tony. :(

The point of this post is that each of the guitars have their own essence, their own voice. One guitar leads me to play a little Lightfoot, another to a different era and style. I have played the Legend LX for several hours and own several of the 30th Anniv (long story) - they are great examples of this year's best. But the older models will hold their own with anything that comes along. Buy new, keep guys like Kim and John employed, but treasure the artistry of the past.
Bailey
Posted 2004-04-20 1:29 AM (#189531 - in reply to #189525)

Gentlemen

I don't have any real opinion of what has been said here, but I really enjoy the sincere opinions that have been stated. That's why I love this board, everybody here seems genuine and not a bunch of juveniles posturing, honest opinions are so valuable to us that haven't been able to try the new guitars, and they inspire us to go out and either prove or disprove the stated opinions.

I think the LX is a great innovation, but what do I know, all I've ever done is play bluegrass, drink beer, hang around with pickers, and get old?

Bailey
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-04-20 5:27 AM (#189532 - in reply to #189525)

Paul, I think you're right about the strings. The older Elite probably had old dead strings and that is why it didn't have any snap to it. Both LXs had just come in, though(the salesperson told us that).

englishplayer, I think your point is good, it's not a FRESH outlook, perhaps an expanded one. The Standard Elite LX DID sound better than the non-LX, although, again, the age of the strings plays some factor.

I meant to make the point that some of you have made, that they are DIFFERENT. I agree. The Balladeer LX was different. Not better. Not worse. DIFFERENT. Another aural color in our pallette.

Roger

1976 Applause AA14-4 6-String
1978 Ovation 1617-4 Legend 6-string
1981 Ovation 1118-1 Glen Campbell 12-string
2001 Adamas 1598-MERB Melissa Etheridge 12-String
2003 Ovation 1777-NAT Legend 6-string
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-20 7:02 AM (#189533 - in reply to #189525)

Strings could be part of the issue - tops could be another. I mean its not saying much that a wood top ages and that new instruments are likely to sound a little constipated.

I know we've been thru THAT issue (tops) before, but I for one believe it makes a pretty substancial difference. I'm also of the opinion that even the CF top on the Adamas loosens up a bit.

Back to wood... climate is an issue. Has one guitar been acclimated to its environs longer than the other?

Even on strings - it only takes one grubby session of fr**ch fry hands to kill some strings...

And ya know, as we all do, some gitfiddles of the same basic type sound better than others. Might be a sad fact, but tis true none the less.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-04-20 7:53 PM (#189534 - in reply to #189525)

Just my two cents.. comparing a guitar with epulets to one with a sound hole is apples and bolts. Two completely different sounds for different purposes. I also agree that calling the LX technology and "upgrade" although an upgrade to the technology, is not really an upgrade in guitar, just musch different. It makes perfect sence to me that someone would like a non-LX model over the LX and vs versa. Just more options, all good.
zorjon
Posted 2004-04-20 8:08 PM (#189535 - in reply to #189525)

Just to jump in as well.

I have older O's as well, and I am not the market that historically buys new guitars, I tend to buy used guitars.

I applaud Ovation for attempting to liven up the sales and marketing campaigns with a new twist on the guitar.

I haven't played an LX yet, and I am really not sure when I will as probably like many of you have barely enough time to play the ones I own.

Thirty something odd years ago, people laughed at the concept of the O and its roundback, today we all have something in common on this board and that is our enthusiasm for the product.

Just as many here on the board love the new LX there will be a few that don't take to it. Hey that's America.

The one thing as I mentioned before is it is nice to see Ovation try to continue to develop different technology in the roundback.

Notice, I used the word different, not better or worse, as it untilmately is in the ear of the beholder.

Kudos on the LX and the hype that it has created as evident with the back orders for the LX.

In this day and age it isn't keeping that consumer interested and they have hit a home run.

John
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-04-30 2:48 PM (#189536 - in reply to #189525)

Well I must say ... I went to the new Sam Ash store in San Antonio today and played an Elite LX. WOW! I have changed my opinion about the LX -- at least for the Elite. I loved how it felt and sounded! Several people were in the room playing Martins and Gibsons. They turned their head when they heard the loud, full sound. Two people came over and started playing it when I was through. One "kid" asked how long these "new roundback" guitars had been out. When I told him since 1966 (before he was born), he couldn't believe it. He played it for probably a half hour. Of course, I went through the diatribe about the USA-made vs. the Celibicies. Anyway, I had to get back to work, but I hope I sold a couple of them! I just may have to get me one of those!
MWoody
Posted 2004-04-30 4:36 PM (#189537 - in reply to #189525)

Quote: "I had to get back to work"

Hizz, Are you not on the campaign trail 24/7?

Perhaps you shoud have told the kid that you are Mr. Martin and you think he should buy the Ovation!
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-02 10:44 PM (#189538 - in reply to #189525)

OAO and HIzz,

I never liked strawberry ice cream until later in life when I had "FRESH" Strawberry Ice Cream.

I would love it if there were an Ovation Truck that ran around with samples for everyone to try. I think it's cool what new things O is offering. Through this board and the friends I've met I am learning to appreciate some of the older flavors as well.

Peace
Bailey
Posted 2004-05-03 2:13 AM (#189539 - in reply to #189525)

Something I've noticed at home and here.

My wife was saying that she kept hearing a kitty meowing and we traced it down to bird call that sounded like a kitty meowing (the catbird in the "catbirds seat" in my opinion). I, however, heard nothing. WHY??? Could it be that my hi freq hearing is deteriorated over the years from loud music in smoky bars. YESSSS, all the old timers love the deep booming bass of a round hole all the young people who haven't spent those lonely years, wasted in dives, love the Elite types with their nice high register overtones. Let's face it, us old geezers love those deep bass tones cause we cant hear those sweet high overtones.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-03 5:48 AM (#189540 - in reply to #189525)

Looking at 50 myself, this getting older thing is a bunch of crap. But it's better than the alternative.
I have heard that the sence of taste also changes. A couple years ago I started to like spicy cajun...and...brocolli.
As for the ears, I never cranked my listening music but the days of garage bands and Who concerts might have had a effect.
Brad
alpep
Posted 2004-05-03 5:56 PM (#189541 - in reply to #189525)

I think the only time you have to worry is when you are no longer attracted to hot young bims
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-05-03 7:32 PM (#189542 - in reply to #189525)

Susan consistently fails to be attracted to hot young bims, despite my persistent encouragement. I find this very worrying, not to mention dissapointing.
alpep
Posted 2004-05-03 8:52 PM (#189543 - in reply to #189525)

paul
I feel your pain.
Bailey
Posted 2004-05-04 1:57 AM (#189544 - in reply to #189525)

Every friggin poster here is attracted to hot young bims if you read the G&*% D%^& POSTS. The question here is why, between sexual adventures, they like large round pulsating holes over small multible orifices with oriental vibrations.

I think I stated the problem correctly, but I need a hot young bims vote to verify it.

Bailey
Beal
Posted 2004-05-04 6:50 AM (#189545 - in reply to #189525)

Isn't it refreshing to see all the heated arguments about which Ovation is better, not wheather the Ovation or M or T or.... is better.
Now on to the more important stuff, which bim is better, blond, sunburst or red?
alpep
Posted 2004-05-04 9:27 AM (#189546 - in reply to #189525)

red heads are always "funny"

I learned that early in life.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-04 9:35 AM (#189547 - in reply to #189525)

Which Bimbo do I Prefer??
Gee It All depends on Which one gives me the time of Day! :D
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-04 10:13 AM (#189548 - in reply to #189525)

Gee, they'll all give me the time of day. And that's all.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for my local music stores here on the west coast to get a supply of LX's so I can play them and compare, not only Elite vs. Legend, but LX's vs. my 68 Deluxe Balladeer.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-04 11:05 AM (#189549 - in reply to #189525)

Moody,
You are Cracking Me Up!! Time Of Day?? they gave you the Time Of Day???! They just kept looking at me like I was a Mental case! :eek:
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclubâ„¢ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)