The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I've always felt that blues, rock 'n' roll and country are just about a beat apart."-Waylon Jennings

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
truss rod question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

roundsound
Posted 2004-04-22 5:51 PM (#189338)
Subject: truss rod question

Would anyone happen to know how the 'dual acting' truss rod works in the 30th anniversary Custom Legend? Specifically, how does it differ from a regular truss rod that adjusts at one end only?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nils
Posted 2004-04-22 9:35 PM (#189339 - in reply to #189338)
Subject: Re: truss rod question

I don't own one, but the way I understand it the 'dual acting' truss rod will not only pull the nut towards the player when tightened (less string relief), it will also push, moving the nut away from the player increasing string relief. I could be wrong, but that's the way understand it.

/\/\/
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-22 9:41 PM (#189340 - in reply to #189338)

From the little I know, the dual acting rod still adjusts only at one end - the headstock.

A "regular" truss rod is a sort of bent metal rod that tries to get straight when you pull on the end of it via the nut.

The dual acting truss rod has a theaded rod and a bar that has offset threaded sections at each end. As you turn the rod (not a not) it varies the bow on the bar, and that in turn presses on the wood of the neck. Since both ends of the bar are theaded, you can apply pressure in either direction.

The latter is helpful, since every once in a while you need to put some "extra string pull" on a neck via the truss rod, if you're using light strings (not common but it happens).
roundsound
Posted 2004-04-23 5:21 AM (#189341 - in reply to #189338)

Strangely enough, it looks like it may be adjustable from both the headstock and from inside the body. I’ve written to Ovation, so hopefully someone there might offer some guidance, too.
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-23 6:11 AM (#189342 - in reply to #189338)

Go here

http://www.ovationguitars.com/?fa=lx2

You'll see the route for the neck extension fully blocks the body side of the bar, making it accessable from the headstock only.
roundsound
Posted 2004-04-23 6:40 AM (#189343 - in reply to #189338)

I just found this on the web:

Dual action truss rods can not only be tightened to counteract string tension and straighten the neck, but when turned counter clock wise they actually add upward bow. Basically, they are an added insurance policy. While creating more relief is rarely a problem you will encounter some necks that are dead flat or back bowed even with string tension and a loose truss rod. With the advent of dual action truss rods we can "force" a neck to bow forward and create relief.
roundsound
Posted 2004-04-23 6:48 AM (#189344 - in reply to #189338)

Thanks for you thoughts, CharlieB & Nils – I believe you were both right on the money :)
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-24 12:03 AM (#189345 - in reply to #189338)

One item not mentioned about DA truss rods is that most of them can be REMOVED if broken or damaged, and a new one installed - without neck sugery.

Regular truss rods must be anchored in the neck at one end or the other. Remember, they are curved and are pulled tighter to "straighten" them.

A DA rod (actually the bar part) is straight unless the rod is makeing it exert force on the neck. If you adjust it for zero tension, it can be pulled out of his channel and replaced (most of the time, duuno specifically on the LX models).
CharlieB
Posted 2004-04-24 12:08 AM (#189346 - in reply to #189338)

And looking at the pics of the LX being made... (again), I dont think the LX DA rods are removable. The removable ones ususally dont have filler blocks, but use the fingerboard itself as the "top of the channel" the rod rides in.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)