The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Got time to breathe, got time for music." --Briscoe Darling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Eclipse question

View previous thread :: View next thread
   The Ovation Fan Club -> For SaleMessage format

_jdone_
Posted 2007-07-07 6:47 AM (#314149)
Subject: Eclipse question

Hey. Sort of new around here (well, been looking at what others have to say for a while now) and I wanted some expert opinion. Roughly how much would an early 70s 1235 Eclipse be worth? I've always liked the shape of the Rickenbacker/Gretsch guitars, but since I have developed an obsession with Ovation electrics it seems like the way forward. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
edensharvest
Posted 2007-07-07 10:26 AM (#314150 - in reply to #314149)
Subject: Re: Eclipse question

Eclipse's are tough, mostly because they're like a really nice condition Limited - hard to find. I've seen a couple sell on ebay, but can't remember offhand what the final price was. Maybe someone else here remembers better than I do.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2007-07-07 11:58 AM (#314151 - in reply to #314149)

The Eclipse was basically a Tornado with bowl paint instead of a gloss finish. Intended as a relatively inexpensive entry-level guitar and probably introduced just a means to get rid of inventory back then. They are good instruments but can generally be had pretty cheap, $200 to $300 maybe, but then there's shipping, VAT and import duty to consider. They're almost impossible to find in the UK. I've only ever seen 2. One was mine (bought on Ebay for $185) and the other was in a London dealer at £1200!!!!!!!. I sold mine to a guy in Belgium when I got a Tornado, which went when I got a Thunderhead.
MarkM
Posted 2007-07-08 4:58 PM (#314152 - in reply to #314149)

I bought a 1235 Eclipse for $200 and sold it for $300. It had both pickups replaced, and mounted in a goofy fashion. The original pickups were included, but the leads had been cut short.

Hardly an 'expert opinion'. I later watched a few pass on ebay, and it seemed my $300 sale for a modified unit was doing well.
Beal
Posted 2007-07-09 9:19 AM (#314153 - in reply to #314149)

That's the area I've seen them in too, 200-500
Jimmy James
Posted 2007-07-19 8:42 AM (#314154 - in reply to #314149)

I paid $600 for my Eclipse a couple of years ago off ebay US, although I subsequently found out it was from a OFC'er (which is how I ended up here).

Might have paid a bit over the odds, but it's perfect for what I play, and now it's my main stage guitar.

Often get complimented on the sound and, with it's somewhat unique look, it's scores pretty high on the 'what the hell is that?!?' charts.

I've been looking for another, but they seem to be pretty rare, and wildly variable in price - I saw one in an ebay shop in germany for £799(!), just missed out on another from Ebay US for $425.

Good luck finding one, they're definitely worth looking out for.
dvd
Posted 2007-07-19 5:04 PM (#314155 - in reply to #314149)

I bought mine all-original last year from an OFCer for between 5 and 600. It was practically mint so the price seemed fair to me.

Jimmy, how would you compare the Verithin to the Eclipse? That was on my short list.
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2007-07-19 6:13 PM (#314156 - in reply to #314149)

As a general guide on the Solid Body and Storm Series guitars I refer to their original price. Most, if in at least good condition seem to hold their value. I also compare it to what you can get the same/similar guitar today.

I think the Eclipse is an excellent guitar. Although they supposedly have "economy" pickups, in them, I think they are great sounding, and I think I prefer them to the others in the storm series. Also the bowl paint makes them virtually indestructible.

Ok, so who makes a good sounding f-hole guitar with a german body, made in USA neck, assembled in the USA, and how much does it cost?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)