The Ovation Fan Club
The Ovation Fan Club
Forum Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Language
Your are viewing as a Guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now." - Jol Dantzig

Jump to page : 123
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jim Croce - One of the Greatest Acoustic Guitarists!

View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums Archive -> The Vault: 2004-2005Message format

Waskel
Posted 2005-06-28 3:15 PM (#158636 - in reply to #158586)
Subject: Re: Jim Croce - One of the Greatest Acoustic Guitarists!

!!! How did you know I was at the factory???
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff W.
Posted 2005-06-28 3:17 PM (#158637 - in reply to #158586)

:D
Capo Guy
Posted 2005-06-28 8:43 PM (#158638 - in reply to #158586)

The guitar playing Jim & Maury did was exactly what acoustic guitars should do. Add to the lyrics, not get in the way of them.

"Time in a Bottle", One of the best songs he did.
WeaserP
Posted 2005-06-28 9:16 PM (#158639 - in reply to #158586)

Maybe I'm missing something here but I was also a huge JC fan growing up and one of the reasons I fell in love with the music was the lyrics were great, the licks (Maury's) were killer and the progressions were insane. I remember trying to get my hands around some of his chords and thinking that he just HAD to be one of the greatest to structure a song progression.

So despite the fact that Maury playted all the quick stuff, I'm gonna have to fall on the side that says he was pretty darn proficient.

Just another .02 cents.
WeaserP
Posted 2005-06-28 9:17 PM (#158640 - in reply to #158586)

Originally posted by Waskel:
Originally posted by Jeff W.:
"Does your dog bite?"
That's not my dog.
Without a doubt that is my wife's all time favorite joke - lousy accent and all. :D
GrilledCheese
Posted 2005-06-29 7:36 AM (#158641 - in reply to #158586)

I'm sorry to say I never got to see Jim Croce live. That is the true test of a guitar players ability. I liked most of his songs, but you know how they fill in recorded music. :rolleyes:

I have seen Arlo Guthrie, Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. All were good, but just never had the opportunity to see Jim Croce. I'm sure he put on a good show also. :D
meatpill
Posted 2005-07-07 1:11 PM (#158642 - in reply to #158586)

Sometimes it is not the skill level that makes a great guitar player. It's what he played, how he played it and how it grabbed our soul. I don't think "hot licks" is the end of all measurement that we should focus on. Jim Croce's songs are so memorable. The licks's are there simple and to the point.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-07 1:23 PM (#158643 - in reply to #158586)

Just to add my final $.02 here, meatpill is right. I don't think Croce was a hot guitarist, but he was one helluva musician and made great music. The guitar was just a tool he used to get the music out.

I've got an uncle who used to play guitar. Only knew 7 chords, but he made great music.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-07-07 1:26 PM (#158644 - in reply to #158586)

Glad you bumped this one, meatpill, so I could get in my 2 cents after I got back in town. I have spent a lot of time learning the Croce parts to a lot of his ballads, both when they were new back in the 70's when I started playing and recently when I got back into it. When I discovered tabs, I downloaded all that I wanted to learn and the only one that is right is the first line to Time In a Bottle. Even though they all sound so simple, tabbers get them wrong.
I think Jim was brilliant with his lyrics and his simple melodies on guitar. Consider that he wrote, "I Have to Say I Love You" overnight for his wife. It took me forever to get that one down note for note.
He does a basic chord progression on most songs that you can easily follow at least the base note, but then I always get lost when the singing or violins come in. I'm still working on a few missing measures of "New York's ..." that I can't pick up despite watching it over and over on the DVD. "Dreamin' Again" is another work in process. Then back to "Operator", which I gave up on 30 years ago. I could spend the rest of my life learning to play the songs he put together in a few short years.
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-07 1:32 PM (#158645 - in reply to #158586)

Mark:

I may have some of those tunes in a music book. If I do, I'd be happy to fax copies to you. Email me off the board moody.pi@cox.net
WeaserP
Posted 2005-07-07 3:45 PM (#158646 - in reply to #158586)

I have a fairly large book of his as well if you're missing anything. Can't recall the name of the book but it was pretty complete and you (and anyone else who might be interested) are welcomed to copies.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-07-07 4:32 PM (#158647 - in reply to #158586)

Thanks, guys. I have his sheet music of his songs. Got it 30 years ago and didn't find it to be of much use. I'm a stickler for playing exactly as recorded and the sheet music was all arrangements that didn't match what I knew. It's a little tougher with a CD than when I used to pick it up off tapes. I'm going to go back to my original method of recording on my old Sony reel to reel and play it back at half speed if I have to. I also used a Norelco cassette player. (One of the original cassette recorders.) The nice thing about it was it had instant rewind. I used to wear out those rewind switches, but I still have both decks in working condition.
cliff
Posted 2005-07-07 4:46 PM (#158648 - in reply to #158586)

Tascam makes a small unit that'll allow you to slow down a CD track (down to half speed I believe) without changing pitch. It's designed for learning solos . . .
moody, p.i.
Posted 2005-07-07 4:53 PM (#158649 - in reply to #158586)

There's comparatively cheap too. About $250...
Waskel
Posted 2005-07-07 4:59 PM (#158650 - in reply to #158586)

Try some inexpensive software called "SlowBlast" first. $20.
meatpill
Posted 2005-07-07 5:05 PM (#158651 - in reply to #158586)

You can also get SlowGold. http://www.worldwidewoodshed.com/ Computer software to slow down the music without changing pitch. Also, I reccommend Guitar Pro 4 http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php for the Computer. You can tab you own or others music and have the computer play it back. Slow it down, loop particular bars, etc. There is also a web site where people they mimic what they hear from various artists in guitar pro format. Thousand of songs. http://www.mysongbook.com/
YOu can import or export midi, tabl as many tracks and instruments as you need. The voice lines usually sound cheesy. But as a learning/practacing tool or writing your own music - it is great! A fantastic training tool.
mhaanpaa
Posted 2005-07-07 5:25 PM (#158652 - in reply to #158586)

The Tascam unit is available as "A" stock closeout for $97.00 from http://www.northernsound.net/Sales/catagories.html
I've done business with them in the past with good results.
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-07-07 9:51 PM (#158653 - in reply to #158586)

My old reel to reel already does that with the flip of a switch. Amazing what 1965 technology can do.
ChatMan
Posted 2005-07-08 8:38 AM (#158654 - in reply to #158586)

Originally posted by Mark in Boise:
My old reel to reel already does that with the flip of a switch. Amazing what 1965 technology can do.
Your 1965 R/R can do half speed and maintain pitch? You're right, that is amazing. I can't think of any analog way to shift pitch and retain any semblance of the original harmonic relationships. In our DSP world it's almost trivial, but back in the old days it would take, at the least, a number of analog operations to pull off. Simply playing at half speed isn't quite the same. Although you might be able to do something pretty strange by playing the tape half speed and accompanying with a six string bass :eek:
Mark in Boise
Posted 2005-07-08 9:47 AM (#158655 - in reply to #158586)

Obviously, the notes a lower at half speed. Back in those days my ear had no problem translating that back up to the right notes on the guitar. I used to have about a 5 octave range with my voice then, too, but that went away somewhere.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

This message board and website is not sponsored or affiliated with Ovation® Guitars in any way.
Registered to: The Ovation Fanclub™ Copyright (c) 2001
free counters
(Delete all cookies set by this site)